Sock Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
slartibartfast

Sock Thread

Post by slartibartfast »

Lets' talik about socks. ladies and gent s, nevbies and oldvies, to bees or not two bees...SOCKES

I wanne know if yu people are the king of people who go through their washing and match up al the sock s into prpoer paires, or if yodu just chuck 'elm all in a pile and grab them as tgey come.

'cos if yout do match them up, I wannea know why ?
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I think we;ve got problems.
I match mine, just cause it's a bitch to find the other one at 715 un the morning when it takes another minute for my girlfriend to just sort the damn things out.

so i guess i'm lucky.

and I'm drunk too, just trying to spell.

:smokin:
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

But why do you need two identical socks ? For one thing they're going to be inside your shoes, and no one's going to see them (blah blah shorts and sandals blah) What I'm interested in is this natural predilection for symetry, does wearing matching socks mean something ?

Mention the spanish royal family and I'll buy you a drink.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The Spanish Royal Family.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

bought you your drink, it's in my fridge.
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

well, in some of the suits i wear, the pants rest comfortablt atop my shoes whilst standing, but i sit and they rise up, thus revealing my mismatched socks. So i match them to avoid that.

now, two blacksocks can go together, even if one has some striping, just because they are close.

but to say a grey and a black sock could work? preposterous.

bummer about that drink, Brend, I think he's going to take it down in you honor
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

A sock is not a sock if it is not holy.

Start worshipping...
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Step 1 - go out to the shops and buy several packs of identical suitably-sized socks in one colour, preferably black.

Step 2 - go home and throw away any and all socks you can find. Do not, however, do this to socks belonging to other people with whom you share a domicile as this might prove somewhat fatal if they do not have the same sized feet as you or, indeed, are of the opposite sex and will not wear mens' socks out of principle (viz do not match the Manilo's).

Step 3 - unpack new socks and place in sock drawer.

Step 4 - wear socks at leisure

Step 5 - remember to place socks in the wash. Do try to put two in the wash pile at the same time, if you can remember that.

Step 6 - wash socks or inveigh upon family sock-washer to do so.

Step 7 - always get back socks you can pair up.

Step 7 fails if you are married to someone like my sister-in-law, however, as she has been known to stretch unshrinkable items and shrink unstretchable ones - and mangle socks.

Eventually, the socks will disappear, but there will always be one to match up with, until the final two survivors, whereupon you return to step 1. This is, believe it or not, an approved style-guru teaching, except the bit about my sister-in-law.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

Once they're out of the dryer I chuck them into a drawer- or on my bed. or whatever surface area I happen to not be using at the time- and pull them out as I need.

I have a lot of patterned socks however... star socks, skull socks, stripey socks, toe socks, socks with rabbits/turtles/sheep/kitties/cute insects/what have you on them... and I do lose some, so my socks don't always match.

What do I do? wear them anyway. For the most part if I'm wearing socks, I'm wearing them with trousers so no one [except possibly my boyfriend and a few close friends] will see the things anyway. The other reason is that I really just don't care who sees my socks, wearing unmatched ones amuses me.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Poop socks?
der2

Post by der2 »

I find the difficulty is not in finding a pair, but in finding a clean pair, they keep disappearing!
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

I'm so lazy I just leave them in the dryer and pull them out as I need them or until I need to dry something else.

Then they sit in a basket until I run out, then I wash them again.

Of course they're all identical to make it easy.

White, cotton, ankle high socks.
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

My mum tells me to pair the socks up.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by Ice Shard
My mum tells me to pair the socks up.

My husband tells me that he pairs socks up to go into the wash. He then wonders why they come back separate and need pairing up again.

...........! :\

(PS - I buy him his socks. They are all black and of the same type qv previous post.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DrSpengler
Protoform

Re: Sock Thread

Post by DrSpengler »

slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

YAYfemlow non-matychers .!

we are witnessing a tresnd gere peoplz. it startsed with the emo cut, and ;;.. awit, i'm yalking ****,,?.. compounfred]u] vythe emo cut . nd assstymettry is in baby ! yea /§

redman, yo f&a olf school bay !! :)
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

That's it slarti, show Scorpio how drunk posting is done! ;)
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
YAYfemlow non-matychers .!

we are witnessing a tresnd gere peoplz. it startsed with the emo cut, and ;;.. awit, i'm yalking ****,,?.. compounfred]u] vythe emo cut . nd assstymettry is in baby ! yea /§

redman, yo f&a olf school bay !! :)

Um, er.. eh... what?

i saw redman, i think old school?

ok... It takes an extra 20 seconds to do all of my socks in a pair, then i don't have to be asked in the morning hungover to do so.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
YAY fellow non-matchers !

we are witnessing a trend here people. it started with the emo cut, and... wait, i'm talking ****... compounded by the emo cut. asymetry is in baby ! yea !

redman, yo da old school baby !! :)
legibility != sense.

My feet are emancipating. Not only do they feel the urge to not be sheathed in identical padding, they demand individuality. I use a "lucky dip" system.

They get a lot of funny looks on my way to work on the underground though, which I find a bit strange, especially if one's got one of those short black ones and the other has a long white one... I only feel a bit odd if I've got two white socks, black trousers and black shoes... reminds me of Michael Jackson.

by my calculation, I can spend about nine months of the year wearing flip-flops. I used to hate the things, now I swear by them. It's like green eggs and ham.

As for the disappearing sock mystery... Anyone got any theories ?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Static electricity could be one possible explanation, certainly not an exciting explanation, such as left socks being sucked into a blackhole or sock fetishists stealing socks out of unattended dryers at public laundromats.

Personally, I am more baffled by the mystery surrounding the mixed-matched socks that don't belong to me somehow finding their way into my sock drawer, or wherever they are being stored at that moment.

Sock fetishists. Hmmm.

strokes chin pensively