Anime before you knew what anime was...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Anime before you knew what anime was...

Post by DrSpengler »

What anime or Japanese animated shows did you watch way back when before you layed eyes on Akira and discovered what anime was?

Real Ghostbusters
Inspector Gadget
Thundercats
Transformers
GI Joe
Super Mario Bros Super Show

TF and GI Joe were done by Toei studios in Japan, Thundercats was Pacific Animation and the rest were ANimation City. All are located in Japan with real live Japanese artists and most episodes usually had all sorts of whcky anime effects that I never noticed or thought anything of it when I was a kid.

Now when iw atch an episode of the real GHostbusters I find myself thinking "Damn, that looks asian."

What about you. Eh? EH?
Zath
Protoform

Post by Zath »

Grendizer, Captain Harlock, Astroboy, Captain Flam, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Transformers, GiJoe, Real Ghostbusters.

Even more I cant remember.
We live for the One, We die for the One, but we dont die stupid.
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

Is it anime just because it was made in Japan? I wouldn't bet my money on that.

As for "real" anime, I remember watching Macross and Robotech on SKY when I was a tiny Silly Cow,and loving it. When it comes to children, you can't go wrong with giant robots; specially if they transform into fighter planes with massive guns. :)
Thanks D!
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Transformers. I found out what anime was in grade 4.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

Ulysees 31.
Pope Discordia ~ Chaos since 1979.

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton." ~ Lazurus Churchyard.

Forum.[email=lawrencesrider@hotmail.com?subject=SubCultural Evolution signup.]Mailing List[/email].For sale/Trade.Savant.Robot Fist.
Ultra Magnus
Protoform

Post by Ultra Magnus »

starblazers
robotech/macross
wasabi
Protoform

Post by wasabi »

Well I vaguely remember Kimba and Speed Racer (reruns). And I watched Candy Candy and Go-Ranger (early predecessor of Power Rangers) on a local Japanese channel as a little kid. Dunno what the heck they were saying but oh well. Lets see.... G-Force & Battle of the Planets, vaguely remember Captain Harlock and Battleship Yamato.... Monchichi?

What about Rankin & Bass? I'm not talking about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Frosty, but the animated Hobbit and Return of the King? I forgot what Japanese studio did the animation but remember seeing a lot of Japanese names in the credits which took me by surprise. I think Rankin & Bass also did the Last Unicorn and perhaps Thundercats?

Oh and Family Film Festival (an old show on a local Los Angeles tv channel) showed the Adventures of Sinbad the Sailor and Alakazam: the Great - both by Toei Studio (or maybe it was Toho?). Alakazam was about a mischievous monkey whose voice was dubbed by Frankie Avalon. It's from the 60s...

And no. I'm not that old! ;)
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by wasabi
What about Rankin & Bass? I'm not talking about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Frosty, but the animated Hobbit and Return of the King? I forgot what Japanese studio did the animation but remember seeing a lot of Japanese names in the credits which took me by surprise. I think Rankin & Bass also did the Last Unicorn and perhaps Thundercats?

Yep, Rankin Bass did Thundercats, Silverhawks, Tigersharks, The Hobbit, Return of the King, The Last Unicorn, The Flight of the Dragons and others.

Like DiC, Rankin Bass owned their own Japanese studio. It was Pacific Animation Stuidos.

An no, I'm not saying that just because something was animated in Japan that means it's "anime". But you know a lot of the anime or asian designs come off unintentionally in the shows. You watch Transformers, you know what I'm talking about.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Speed Racer and Sailor Moon were the first anime series I ever saw. When I watched them I wasn't familiar with the term "anime" but I knew they were from Japan. Like countless millions of otaku, Akira was when I fully understood what anime was.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I can't believe no one's mentioned Voltron
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

Mazinger Z
The Last Unicorn
AstroBoy
Saint Seya
Dragon Ball
Thundercats
The Hobbit
Real Ghostbusters
Transformers
GI Joe
Tigersharks
Silverhawks
Harlock Saga
Robotech
Voltron

BTW, Was Brave Star anime? I don´t remember that show very well, except that there was a big green dude with a mustache that scared me.
"Im drowning in footwear!"