Japanese Beast Wars set.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
RID Scourge

Japanese Beast Wars set.

Post by RID Scourge »

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

:eek: Being a Beast Wars fan hurts my wallet. Probably won't order the big set, unless they get pics before the deadline and they blow me away. Might get the Megs vs Primal set, which is cheaper, but I'm hoping to see them first, so I don't end up with the same Beast Wars 10th Anniversary figures (still gotta pick up Megs, but I have the Cybertron repaint of Primal, so I'd be a bit miffed by that). They say they're new molds, but unless they released those in their "US Edition" line, then those are new to them . . .

I should also note that the figures in the picture are not the figures being offered. Check the description for the list.

EDIT: For the lazy few, like me, here they are: "The set of 8 figures will contain one each of: Optimus Primal (I'm always game for another version of the one Prime I truly respect), Megatron (Yays!), Waspinator (Honestly, wouldn't hurt, wouldn't help), Cheetor (Meh), Dinobot (I really like his character, but there's a huge glut of Dinobot figures/repaints of the original mold, so I think the demand is sated), Blackarachnia (Hard to find this far out, so surewhynot?), Archadis (Japanese character. Don't know much, except that his toy was released in the Dinbots line with a slight variation in color. Didn't wow me the first time, so I think I can pass on him), Corhada (Japanese character, so i don't know much about him. Original toy looked cool, but I never got him, so I don't feel confident about whether or not it was good. Could turn out into another Bazooka, which looked great, but transformation was poop)." My comments in green, of course. All in all, I don't think I'm gonna take a gamble on this set.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

"The set of 8 figures will contain one each of: Optimus Primal, Megatron, Waspinator, Cheetor, Dinobot, Blackarachnia, Archadis, Corhada."

Not very... convincing description. Archadis and Corahda seem very out of place. Remolded Blackarachnia toy would be nice.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah, I'm horribly torn about this. I don't even know if I want to risk ordering the Prime vs Megs, in case they turn out to be a flop. Hopefully, they'll order a few extra to sell at a later date. :\

As it stands, I'm gonna say "No, but I might scour theifbay if they turn out to be good." Still want the Botcon Megs, but the only time I saw him, the price was ridiculously high. :(
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I don't know. Even if they're the same toys, it might be worth picking up for the ones I don't have, then selling off the ones I do.
mongoosehuman
Protoform

Post by mongoosehuman »

I dunno. I love the BW toys, I love the BW continuity -- Primal and Megs are absolutely the best characters of their lineage. But the Japanese molds always seemed a little strange to me. Granted, I never actually shelled out the cash for one, but that's because they never instilled the same sense of desire that I got from the Hasbro molds.
mongoosehuman
Protoform

Post by mongoosehuman »

And Archadis definitely does seem out of place. Maybe he's really big in Japan?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah, now that I think on it, I'm probably going to pass, since even if they turn out to be new molds, they'll probably look just like previous molds. If they do make completely reimagined versions of the characters, I just might track down Primal and Megs, but truth be told, aside from the two that Hasbro put out this year (and the Botcon set. Yeah, they pretty much used pre-existing molds, but aside from Dinobot, the molds they used made perfect sense. Creating pre-beast forms also gives a bit more richness to the whole Beast Mythos because we now know what they looked like before taking beast modes), the offerings have been pretty much unimaginative, in that the "new" Primals and Megs' have always looked like their respective characters from season 1.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

UPDATE:
From the BBTS newsletter
MORE JAPANESE BEAST WARS 2007: We've just received word from Japan that after the limited edition 'early release' set, Takara will be releasing all the figures plus some additional ones as single figure releases. Preorders for all 8 figures have been listed at $27.99 each and we've also listed Rhinox, Drancron, and Howlinger. We should have images of most figures early next week.
w00t! That means I can wait to see what they look like, and I don't have to order all of them--just the ones I like. :D
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Now we play the waiting game. Very interested in Blackarachnia, if she ends up as more than a straight Tarantulus repaint again. Okay. Yes. I want her to have boobs so my Silverbolt can feel her up. I am so twelve.

Drancorn and Wolfang might also warrant a purchase.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Updates are up at fantofan and tfw2005 about these items. Convoy\Megatron are the robotmaster versions with more accurate colours, and the rest appear to be deluxe recolours priced at 2500 yen each.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Well, good thing I didn't pre-order. That's quite disappointing . . .
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Links found from TFW2005 board.

Fantofan magazine scans
http://fantofan.jp/news/mag/dengekihobby/mar2007-5.jpg

Robotmasters mold recolours look really good, propably getting those at some point.

Pictures of the display here
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/ ... /toyf1.htm

Judging by that display photo , deluxes are not remolded (Rhinox seems still to have mutant mask). Interested mostly in Blackwidow figure. Possibly Dinobot and Rhinox if the colours are much better than in Hasbro's 10th anniversary figures.

Corahda and Arcadis still seem very odd choices. Of course I'm not familiar with Japanese BW fandom, but both original toys are very easy to find and for cheap prices.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Though it is hard to make out what it looks like from that silly battle pose, what I am able to discern is that Blackarachnia also got some nice repaint treatment. Stating the obvious, I know, as this has been done with all the Beastie reissues but it was something that I had been curious about.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Agreed. Blackwidow/Blackarachnia recolour seems very nice (or what you can see from that photo) and was IMO the most obvious choice for recolour. Original Hasbro and Takara versions were both very far from show appearance.

A bit disappointed that there seems to be no remolding. On the other hand if remolding had meant that the figure had had enormous breasts, maybe it's better this way. TM2 Blackarachnia toy with it's bra and high heel shoes irritates me, a lot. Spiders don't breast-feed their offspring... :o
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Originally posted by Osku
A bit disappointed that there seems to be no remolding. On the other hand if remolding had meant that the figure had had enormous breasts, maybe it's better this way. TM2 Blackarachnia toy with it's bra and high heel shoes irritates me, a lot. Spiders don't breast-feed their offspring... :o

The stripper-bot motif with removable bra “chestplate” and stiletto heels does seem a bit suggestive, huh? Yeah, hardly what you’d call a “femme fatal” but I still have a toasty spot for “Legs”, though I agree that the design (of a robot mind you) does uphold bizarre gender stereotypes.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by rubicon
stripper-bot
A mental image I didn't want to have. I think that the toy stays in spider mode from now on...
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Osku
A mental image I didn't want to have. I think that the toy stays in spider mode from now on...

Me, it inspires to go work for Takara...as the guy who chants "Kiss Players repaint!" in every conferences where they toss in new ideas.

And they will listen. :afro:
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Pictures for most of the figures are up at bbts. Dinobot appears to spot a new head.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Knightdramon
Pictures for most of the figures are up at bbts. Dinobot appears to spot a new head.
Link to BBTS

Not sure if that's a new head. Could be that the teeth are just painted.

Rhinox's and Howlinger's pictures are from older releases.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

By comparing the rhinox pictures, the bbts one is indeed an older release. New repaint appears to be much more show-accurate. Dinobot looks like total crap in dino-mode but spots a nice robot mode. Out of them all, Primal and Cheetor are my faves and must-have.

Isn't it a bit weird that of all the moulds, the two leaders are the smallest?