To Be Continued...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

The Best End of Season Cliffhanger... EVER!

Trek:TNG Season 3: Riker orders the Enterprise to fire on Evil Picard on the Borg ship.
10%
24 Season 5: Jack captured by the Chinease and on the slow boat to a eastern prison.
No votes
Blake's 7 Season 2: The Liberatror Vs. The Invasion fleet. "Avon, this is madness!" "When did that ever stop us? Fire!"
No votes
Best Wars season 2: Megatron blows off Optimus Prime's head.
29%
Deep Space Nine Season 5: The Cardassians retake the station and the war starts.
14%
Angel Season 4: Angel takes a loooooooong swim.
14%
Babylon 5 season 3: Sheridan blows himself up with a nuke.
5%
Twin Peaks Season 1: Cooper gets shoot multiple times at point blank range.
10%
X-Files Season 3: Mulder in the box car.
No votes
Other.
19%

Total votes: 21

inflatable dalek

To Be Continued...

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ever since the BBC boradcast of The Best of Both Worlds all those years ago (which was a big thing at the time as one one point it looked as if there'd be a three year gap before part two due to the beeb loosing the rights for first broadcast to Sky) I've loved end of season cliffhangers.

Yes, it's often a seemingly desperate ploy to get viewers back next year, as if the show makers don't have enough faith in the actual quality of the show to get them to carry on viewing, and yes, often the resolutions are more about restoring the status quo than telling a good story, but at their best, they shake up the show and do things with the characters that wouldn't normally be allowed if there was an episode next week.

So what are our favourites on here? I'm partial to the Next Genrations finest moment of course, partly because it's so well done (the TV Movie version is superior to all the NexGen films) and because, unlike most cliffhangers where you know the hero's will get themselves out of the situation there was a real chance they were going to use this to kill Picard off. I'm also fond of Star One, which manages to be fantasticly tense despite the Liberator going up against a armada of washing up bottles. You don't even notice them writting Blake out ten minutes before the end either.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clogs

Re: To Be Continued...

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'm also fond of Star One, which manages to be fantasticly tense despite the Liberator going up against a armada of washing up bottles. You don't even notice them writting Blake out ten minutes before the end either.
Hairdryers, apparently. The casings of. Though I suspect there are probably washing up bottles and cereal packets involved there, too.

A bit like Blue Peter, but with more special effects.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Still, at least they didn't give into El Tel and make it the Daleks just so he'd get a bumper royalty payment...
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

Give me Farscapes cliffhanger at the end of season 4 any day.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
inflatable dalek

Aye, Farscape used to do good ones as well. Though mainly every episode would be drowned out with my Mum going "OHHHHHHHHHH BEN!!!"
Wolfang

Spoilers

Post by Wolfang »

The end of season one of Battlestar Galactica- where Adama gets shot. The fact that the human race has been whittled down to the however many thousand (47+?) and then have the man who is technically leading them shot and seemingly killed makes the future look bleak indeed. Until he showed up on the freaking package for seaon 2.... (alas, no, I do not have Sky television)
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Technically, Angel got dumped into the ocean at the end of season 3 and started there season 4...
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

i have to go with who shot mr. burns...

that is one lonely man's opinion, however
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Who shot Mr Burn's part 1.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
Technically, Angel got dumped into the ocean at the end of season 3 and started there season 4...

Damn it. I was gonna say that.
Originally posted by redman prime
i have to go with who shot mr. burns...

that is one lonely man's opinion, however

redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by Jetfire

Sure you were.

;)
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
inflatable dalek

Ah, you spotted that did you...

Worst cliffhanger ever has to be Doctor Who- Timeflight, after a whole year of Tegan trying to leave, she does. Ohhhhhhh.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

I voted BW, although TNG is also pretty epic. Also worth mentioning is Reboot season 4 ending. Finish it you bastards!
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Worst cliffhanger ever has to be Doctor Who- Timeflight, after a whole year of Tegan trying to leave, she does. Ohhhhhhh.

Yeah. Even made more pointless when she just comes back at the end of "Arc of Infinity."

Topic: Buffy Season 5.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Bombshell

Topic: Buffy Season 5.

That was ruined for me by the Sky trailers that not only started with a big close up of the headstone but edited in such a way as to make it look as if the whole thing was going to be a big Buffy/Angel crossover (By cuting from the headstone to Angel saying something like "I've allready lost someone I cared about"- He was of course talking about Lorne...)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ignoring the routinely brilliant performances of the Luthors, probably the only good thing Smallville's ever produced is the end of season 3.

The useless Pete finally buggering off
Lex being poisoned
Clark succumbing to Jor-El's will to save Jonathan, but Pa Kent getting zapped anyway
Chloe getting blowed up
All to the strains of Lionel having his head shaved
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

There really aren't enough Babylon 5 fans in the world... i stand by the fact that the season 3 cliffhanger is the best season cliff hanger ever, i get tingles down my spine everytime i watch it.

- Revelations and orgins are revealed about the shadows as well as the fate of the Icarus and Sheridans deceased wife

-The main character seemingly commits suicide by taking out a 1000 year old race of evil bastards with him

- the music is epic

- the visuals are breathtaking (especially for the time),

-a whitestar always looks cool.

-Michael (epic bastard) Garibaldi is taken by a Shadow vessel

-The Shadows biggest city is destroyed

-On top of that the closing scenes of the episode denote periods of transition, people mourning, everything being completely up in the air right in the middle of a war aaand G'kar doing a philosophical voice over which is always good because not only is J.M. Straczynski an amazing and articulate writer but Andreas Katsulas is such a well spoken and generally awsome actor.
"Moments of revelation are always born in moments of pain"

other than that the season cliffhangers to seasons 1&2 of New Battlestar Galactica.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
inflatable dalek

Though you do have to wonder what it is with Sheridan and throwing himself from great heights to avoid explosions.

And surely Garabaldi is the least lucky TV character in all TV history? He's shot, stabed, brainwashed, drunk, beaten up and gennerally allways having a bad time of it.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Though you do have to wonder what it is with Sheridan and throwing himself from great heights to avoid explosions.

And surely Garabaldi is the least lucky TV character in all TV history? He's shot, stabed, brainwashed, drunk, beaten up and gennerally allways having a bad time of it.

yeah he's an unlucky guy but the fact that he's still kicking about, but with less hair, at the end of season 5 shows how epic he is...any other sci-fi character would be mad or dead by that point.

Sheridan does love to jump from high places...and he always manages to do so in the uncoolest way possible. he flails alot when escaping that transport....he's falling in slow-mo due to the artificial gravity, with all that time to spare you may as well think of a cool death pose...then he stumbles off the ledge on Za'hadum, again, with something epic going on and thinking he's going to die he could have at least done the cool arms spread falling pose like ripley at the end of Alien 3....

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
inflatable dalek

Still, any man who decides to finalise his divorcce by droping a nuclear bomb on his ex-wife deserves some respect.

The poisoning of Palmer at the end of season 2 of 24 would be shocking if not for the lame resolution (He's dying!- Oh no he didn't).