Prototypes or fakes from Hong Kong?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
jetscream1001
Protoform

Prototypes or fakes from Hong Kong?

Post by jetscream1001 »

I bring this up because the more and more I browse such auction sites as ebay and yahoo, the more I find people selling tons of these "prototypes." I'm not just talking TF toys, but anything that's popular. These sellers claim that what they have are prototypes of the toys that are being sold to the public. However, I'm 99% sure that most of these so-called "prototypes" are just bootleg fakes. Why do I think this? Well, I've been to Hong Kong several times now and for all intents and purposes, let's just call that city the bootleg capitol of the world. You can buy practically anything there extremely cheap. The only problem is that the products that they are selling are fake copies. Those that have been there will know what I'm talking about. Now then, this leads to my problem about these sellers all over these auction sites proclaiming that what they have are original "prototypes." They are not prototypes. There's no proof that they are authentic prototypes and there's no way to verify it. If you ask them to send you proof, they either don't reply or tell you something along the lines that they are indeed prototypes because they know someone that works in one of these toy companies or factories and thus was able to "secure" the items for them. This is all hogwash of course. If you have any doubts, e-mail the toy companies and ask them if any prototypes got out to the public or if they have pictures of such prototypes. In addition, these same sellers sell a variety of other "prototypes." It's highly dubious that someone can secure so many different prototypes from so many different companies. In addition, these sellers seem to be able to get their hands on more than one copy of this so-called "prototype." They usually sell them one at a time to keep prices high and to fool people into thinking that's the only one for sale. Basically, I bring this up to make sure that buyers are aware of this and don't get ripped off. Don't be fooled just because someone says it's a prototype. Look into it. If there's any doubt, don't buy it, especially at the high prices these things are going for. In addition, check their other auctions. If you see them sell more than one "prototype" of any kind, they're probably selling you fake items. In addition, anyone that tends to sell such "prototypes" are also likely to sell items as authentic originals and then send you fake knock-offs. In short, be very careful if you're thinking about buying from someone that is selling or was selling "prototype" merchandise. It's more than likely that you'll get ripped off.
Felafel
Protoform

Post by Felafel »

That's Not always the case.... (I hate seeing one sided arguments.)

From a cost effective view, prototypes may be made in large numbers. What's the point of making one or two of something? The reason for so many may be that they do a run of 100, just to check how each turns out, and to make sure that the molds won't break before the desiered number are produced.

And maybe the companies "release" some of them to see how they sell, as an estimate of how much they should sell for, and what the demand is.

So maybe after they deside on which model to use, they do a run of "prototypes", then sell them to gauge the reaction from the public.

I mean, if they had a Wheelie prototype, they would see that nobody wants it, and then not do a major release.
Denyer

Erm...

Post by Denyer »

...didn't you just disprove your own argument?