• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2018-10-03, 06:44 PM   #6181
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Couple things came my way over the last week:

PotP Hun-Gurrr: Just to complete Abominus. As a robot, he's OK. The relatively tiny monster head-feet look strange, but are at least compensated by additional side tilt. Otherwise it's very meh. I don't care much for the monster mode. The proportions seem out of whack, and it just isn't that enjoyable. The torso mode is fantastic, except the hips (robot shoulders) on mine are a little loose. Everything else tabs in really tightly. I love the mix of colors on Abominus! It's all crazy and fun!

Cyber Battalion Starscream (Voyager): This is the one that's been out on the market since briefly in 2015(?), disappeared, then reappeared at Universal Studios stores. Turns out you can order him from the Universal Studios online store, if you don't mind paying a little extra and some shipping (I didn't, so it's a win). He shares the same mold as CB Walgreens Jetfire, so I knew what to expect when he arrived. The pre-tooling detail is great, the paint apps are fairly plentiful for a 'budget' figure, and I love the head sculpt. I'm really pleased, even though it cost a few extra bucks. Really wish he had knees though.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 03:51 AM   #6182
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

My POTP Punch/Counterpunch showed up today! I was expecting something more complex than the normal Generations Deluxe, and he is, but in a totally different way than I'd thought. I was expecting that there'd be a lot of fiddling to go between the two robot modes, but that's actually pretty minimal. Flip the head, flip the hands, move the fenders on his shoulders and turn him around. But the transformation into car mode is like something out of a movie line. It feels like half of the car folds up inside of his chest and legs. It's a very intriguing design and not at all what I'd expected. But the really big downside of it is that he's left with lower legs that are really, noticeably hollow. I'm not one to complain about hollow limbs but even I think this is going a bit too far. He's also left with very little to even hint at the presence of feet, which makes his lower half look a bit unfinished in both modes. The Double Spy gimmick makes him a lot of fun, but it's disappointing to see that Hasbro pull that off almost flawlessly, only to stumble a bit on the basic transformation scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunner View Post
POTP Punch turned up today. 1st impressions are good, nice transformation between modes, nothing groundbreaking.
Given this is a special edition figure, you'd think they could have included Counterpunch's gun rather than having him share Punch's. I would certainly have taken this over the superfluous Prime Armor that is included. I get that this is because the figure is from POTP and that was the gimmick, but as he is not a combiner limb it does seem a bit pointless...
I don't mind that he only comes with one gun, since I'd just have to find somewhere to store a extra no matter what mode he's in. But the random combiner fist feels like a total waste of plastic. I get wanting to include something that would let him interact with the fancied-up Prime Master figure that all these exclusives have, but surely a Pretender shell would have been the better choice here. Especially since they had poor old Waverider tooled up and never used him. I don't know why they chose to go with the hand instead. The little Pretender shells weigh basically the same as a combiner hand, have the same parts count, the same number of plastic colours, and it's not like the one fifteenth of a cent's worth of paint the shells got would make a significant difference on the accounting side of things when they're already selling the thing at a 25% markup over retail prices. A weapon-mode Pretender would have made a good secondary weapon if you want Punch and Counterpunch to have different sidearms, far better than a folded-up fist.

As-is, both fist and Prime Master have already been tossed into a drawer, never to be seen again. Unless one of you folks has a craving for transparent blue runt?

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 03:03 AM   #6183
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I picked up a couple PotP Novastars last week: one to complete my all red Betatron, the other to go with Elita-1 and Moonracer. Nova's Moonracer with a new head, weapon, and paintjob. They did a pretty good job of differing the paint apps so they look different. Probably the best example is the triangle molded in the side of the car. Moonracer has the triangle painted white; Novastar has a stripe run along the bottom edge and towards the front of the car, while the triangle itself left red.

The only spot where this fails is the detail on Novastar's shins. Moonracer has the unrecessed section painted pink; Novastar leaves everything red, which looks unfinished. Painting the unrecessed ankle areas orange would've helped. That's my only complaint, though.

Novastar also uses less clear plastic than Moonracer. N's feet are grey where M's are partially painted clear. This means N has a grey windshield. This wouldn't look as odd if N didn't have clear plastic in the roof. It's like an armored car with a sunroof. N also lacks the clear plastic M has in the torso, which actually does a better job of showing the molded detail in the abs.

I don't understand the purpose of the 2 nubs molded in the bot back/vehicle bottom. Both bots have them. All they seem to do is elevate the car so the rear wheels don't touch the ground. They seem purposeless in bot, leg and arm mode, and detrimental to car mode. Does anyone know why they're there?

Speaking of leg mode, N works great as Betatron's leg. The instructions have N's hands folded towards each other, giving the gestalt a pair of small orange hands on its knee. Scattorshot's thigh is narrow enough that the hands can fold towards the back of the bot, where they're far less noticable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	betatron.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	11879  

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 07:49 AM   #6184
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Transformers Cyberverse Chomp Jaw Grimlock & Wing Slice Starscream
Mildly puzzling Scout/ Legends Class figures that feature only partial transformations and an action feature as the 'alt-mode'. An odd idea, and puzzling that this idea of Transformers that don't Transform has been dusted off. I'm guessing Hasbro took a look at those vehicular Movie toys that transformed from vehicle to weaponised vehicle and thought they'd try it the other way around? What you end up with is very strange and something that's quite odd to play with, but still a surprise bit of fun. The action features are gear and spring-loaded bits of stuff akin to those awful Prime-era fold out weapons. Whilst Grimlock's Chomp Jaw action is fun - if awkward as his beast head faces up at the sky - Starscream's is just silly - his wings whirl around 360 degrees. Woo. Despite the daft gimmicks, the robot modes are both excellent, with some nice detailing and paint apps. The sculpts are also very nice indeed and the overall aesthetic is good. Articulation is nixed for the sake of the gimmicks, which is a shame and the parts budget these have used up is clear to see with all the hollow parts on show. Essentially, this is a range of Action Masters for the C21. Just with better proportions. I picked up both of these in The Entertainer's latest promotion at 7.20 each and I think that's a decent price for them and they make for good desk toys at work, which is where they are now. Cyberverse is shaping up to be a very odd toyline that looks like it's trying to cover too many bases. The packaging is also near-identical to the Bumblebee Movie stuff that's out which makes for a confusing purchasing experience if you're not paying attention.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-10, 08:06 PM   #6185
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Recent-ish buys, mainly from Studio Series, which is abysmal in terms of value for money for normal people but great for me:

74 Bee: lovely details but some of the transformation is a pain; not sure if I bummed out on QC but the windscreen/roof section detaches far too easily and it's a shame the gun is a swap-out instead of clipping over the hand. Nice enough but expecting better things from both the new movie one and whatever connotation of the 07 Concept car they go for.

Stinger: nice! Good transformation despite a couple of minor clearance issues but really good robot from such a flat car. Obviously loads more personality than old Evil Cliffjumper.

Ratchet: really like him, nice height and sorts most of the problems with older versions, nice and simple too, which doesn't always hurt. Also got a very nice "cinematic" transformation too, and I love that rotating torso. Lighter on kibble than expected too.

Jazz: love him. I've always liked Jazz' model and this toy is great, like a scaled-down stripped-out version of the HA. At first I thought he was too tiny but then I remembered he really was a smaller-than-Bumblebee runt in the film. Great work on the legs and arms. Bit worried about how easy to scratch the paint looks.

Optimus: brilliant mould, annoying production. The whole thing needs to be brightened about 20% even if silver wasn't an option but the transformation is beautiful, especially considering the mess every single non-Evasion Mode Voyager Prime has been. He's got a really good Live Action Prime posture to him as well.

Overall impressed enough to make hay and order Blackout, Ironhide, Starscream, Crowbar and Lockdown to even up the sides a bit. Seriously hesitating on Grimlock, though - not sure I like the screen version enough to put down forty quid, especially as I can't even remember what colour he was in the films (IIRC it was "whatever the ambient lighting on metal was in each particular scene"). Keep getting tempted by the cheaper reduced TLK Voyager instead.

Also picked up TLK Deluxe Hot Rod due to heavy reduction. Disappointingly tall for my own selfish purposes but not a bad toy, if a bit Movie Car By Numbers. That and I can't remember what he looked like and am too lazy to Google Images it.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-12, 10:14 PM   #6186
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

SS Ratchet #16 - I'd passed on the original SS Ratchet since it looked pretty plain. This deco looks much better. It's an improved version of the DotM figure I already own, with better use of shoulder kibble, a beefier bot, and slimmer backpack.

Power Charger 'Bee - This had been in stock for a while, but I waited until the SS version came out so I could compare. The SS was in today; I was dissapointed in how small it was, and that the chest pieces with the headlights are a different shade of yellow than the rest. So, I splurged on the big guy.

I have mixed thoughts about him. It's kind of tricky to get all the panels lined up to transform him, and he doesn't roll too freely due to the sound gimiick. Plus, mine has some scratches right out of the box on the passenger side. I'll have to think about him some more. He does look nice in both modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Seriously hesitating on Grimlock, though - not sure I like the screen version enough to put down forty quid, especially as I can't even remember what colour he was in the films (IIRC it was "whatever the ambient lighting on metal was in each particular scene"). Keep getting tempted by the cheaper reduced TLK Voyager instead.
I've got and like both. Their transformations are very different (SS is like Scorn, TLK is like G1), but both fun, without any finicky or frustrating bits.

SS advantages:
Better looking bot mode - The drybrushing looks nice, and the only kibble is the dino jaw/arms on the left forearm. TLK has dino feet on each wrist, and a dino jaw hanging down the back. SS's dino head on each shoulder looks much better than TLK's half head on each shoulder.
Better proportioned bot mode - TLK is kind of lanky for Grimlock.
Better proportioned dino mode

TLK advantages:
Better looking dino mode - The SS neck is clearly a folded up arm.
Comes with weapon - SS only has spiked ball in lieu of right hand
Better bot hip articulation - SS skirt impedes much movement
Push button dino jaw - SS jaw is either slightly opened or fully opened

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2018-10-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2018-10-13, 03:12 AM   #6187
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

After a frustrating week and a half, I stumbled on a couple of figures I didn`t even realize were out. So, in order:

Wal-Mart G1 Reissue Hot Rod: I hadn`t planned on getting any of them, but having a MIB version of a figure my mom got me as a birthday present way back when just struck me as something to get, especially as I gather these have just come out and he`s already been marked down. What surprised me even more was that it was my local pocket Wal-Mart that had him.

In an attempt to find out if any other not very local but far better stocked Wal-Marts had any reissues(specifically Outback. The PotP version needs his gun), I found the other figure I didn`t realize was out:

Studio Series Transformers Bumblebee... er, Bumblebee: Probably the only figure from the movie line I`ll get unless they`ve got some others that will blow me away, I have to say he`s a pretty good figure. Getting him to transform is a bit of a pain, but he`s a lot betteer than the Camaro version of Bumblebee. I can actually completely transform this one and not have to worry about destroying it.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 06:34 AM   #6188
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Studio Series Lockdown
The sculpting and detailing on this guy is fantastic. Nice paint apps thoughtfully applied which pick out the right details. Love his face - a cross between indifference and annoyed. Good articulation and some good accessories (no gun face though, which is disappointing). Only down side is the backpack. It's not awful, but it does get in the way. Transformation is similar to TLK Hot Rod, with just a few extra bits to turn.It's fun and intuitive enough to work out without referring to the instructions. Vehicle mode is beautiful, and rolls brilliantly, thanks to pinned wheels. A stunning piece of work and highlight of the line for me.

Studio Series Jazz
I wasn't going to bother with this guy, but Cliffjumper's comments above made me think again. It was a toss up between him and Prime, but there was only one Jazz on the shelf, so no contest. As Cliffjumper says, he's pretty small, but that's appropriate for the figure and the alt mode (which is pretty much girl's sport's car). He looks great and he's fun to transform, but I'm having trouble getting him fully clipped together in vehicle mode, but I think this is a problem with me, rather than the toy. Sculpting and details is good and he's a good, solid figure. Having played with Lockdown first, he doesn't impress quite as much as he should, but for his size and level of engineering packed in, he is more impressive than I'm giving him credit for.

I picked both these up at The Entertainer, who continue to have the line on a 20% discount, so if anyone's interested in the Studio Series in the UK, they're worth a trip - although in store is likely a better bet. The website seems to be out of stock of a lot of these.

@Cliffjumper - Grimlock isn't one I was interested in either, but a stellar paint job and simple, but fun transformation which gets you a solid looking robot mode and decent alt mode was enough for me. He's fun and looks great. Makes the other Movie Grimlock toys look a bit silly by comparrison.

Blackout is great. I love him. He's a bit of a lurker, his bulk mitigating his articulation, but I've been really impressed. For me he could have used a slightly darker palette.

Crowbar is good, but those dreadlocks... they just get in the way too much. A good figure overall, and I love the horrible looking barbed weapons.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 03:21 PM   #6189
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Cyberverse Starscream.

Cyberverse Optimus Prime.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 08:23 PM   #6190
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

TLK Hot Rod showed up today courtesy of Tantrum.

Not overwhelmed by the robot mode, but the car sure is pretty. This is a remold of AOE Lockdown? Neat.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-18, 12:42 AM   #6191
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

DotM Megatron from Clay. For all the talk of movie figures downsizing, he's actually smaller than TLK Voyagers due to his undersized torso, which helps sell the sickly look they're going for. I've given him Evasion Prime's weapon, which is notched to fit Meg's hand. I wonder if they planned this when sculpting Meg's hands, or if the notches were just general hollowness that they made work.

With the hood over his head and right shoulder, and the shotgun and MechTech weapon on his left arm, he looks like the killer at the end of a horror movie. The teenagers think they've killed him, but he comes back for one last attack. THE END???

Transformation to truck was a bit tricky at first, but I've mostly gotten the hang of it. I just have trouble getting the MechTech weapon to snap into place. I like how the bot's raggedy hood dettaches from the raggedy cloak, then reattaches to make a slightly less raggedy truck cover.

Skyquake - Did you notice SS Lockdown's chest panel popping forward a bit to make a fuller torso? I don't think it's in the instructions. Just push the interior of the chest where the head folds in.

Clay - I've got AoE Lockdown, and he doesn't seem to share many, if any parts with Hot Rod. They have similar transformations, both of which seem influenced by DotM Deluxe Roadbuster.

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2018-10-18 at 01:16 AM.
Old 2018-10-18, 07:02 PM   #6192
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

A couple things came through the mail lately. Been cleaning out other sections of my collection via eBay to make room for newer, more fun (at least at the moment) things.

Energon Starscream (the smoky green version): I already have the G1 deco on the shelf, and I liked the mold enough to double-dip. The 'incomplete' detail comes through much nicer on this one, and I really dig the extra paint detailing. There's a bunch going on that I missed on the G1 version, simply because it's harder to spot when done in light grey. The dark translucent green wings with matte black detail is pretty awesome too. Very impressed and I'm glad I got him.

KO MP-11 Starscream: The KBB model. Couldn't afford the real deal, but I can definitely afford a KO from Ali Express. This one's my first KO Transformer, so I was curbing my expectations until it arrived. The quality is really quite good, and I haven't had any issues with it. The torso/chest is a touch on the wiggly side, but I get the feeling that the real MP-11 has a similar issue. As expected, everything isn't quite as tight together as the real one, most noticeably the side hip panels stick out just a touch. There's a couple spots that are diecast rather than plastic, so that adds a bit of heft to him. Otherwise, I'm very pleased. He came with all of the myriad accessories too: coronation set (crown, cape, pauldrons), a diecast Megatron pistol, holographic pilot, spring firing null rays, missile clusters for the jet, and the flight stand. For a KO, I'd definitely give this one a

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-18, 07:18 PM   #6193
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Studio Series Ironhide: an absolute beaut on the whole. Really nails the chest (instead of having it as floating wings or cheaty parts), subtle paint apps, great weaponry, love the folding bits on the legs. The "whatever" gaps on the tail end of the Top Kick are a bit cheap but yeah. Maybe a bit massive, SS Prime looks a little weedy next to him when my recollection is that they were a bit closer in physique.

TLK Hound - KO version with the red crosses and random diecast. Like him, a bit less shelformy than the AOE one but it's not a character model that lends itself well to transforming toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post

I've got and like both. Their transformations are very different (SS is like Scorn, TLK is like G1), but both fun, without any finicky or frustrating bits.
Cheers! Probably going to come down to whether the next wave here (with Brawl and VW Bee) comes into stock before I spent out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Studio Series Lockdown
A stunning piece of work and highlight of the line for me.
I like him a lot; he's simpler than most of the rest but it's not a weakness and means they've clearly had the budget to go absolutely mental on the sculpted detail. He's always going to be a difficult one to make a toy of as ILM had clearly stopped giving a shit about realistic transformations by AOE but I think he does well.

Quote:
Studio Series Jazz
He looks great and he's fun to transform, but I'm having trouble getting him fully clipped together in vehicle mode
Some of the SS alt mode clipping in really is knife-edge on the cars; there's so much packed into them that if you don't line everything up 100% (for which the instructions are zero help) doors and bits pop out far too easily.

Quote:
I picked both these up at The Entertainer, who continue to have the line on a 20% discount, so if anyone's interested in the Studio Series in the UK, they're worth a trip - although in store is likely a better bet. The website seems to be out of stock of a lot of these.
It's the only place I've seen them yet (though the old ball and chain reliably informs me Hamleys have a solid shelf of 07 Ratchet at thirty quid a pop) and the discount takes it down to being just about fair prices.

Quote:
@Cliffjumper - Grimlock isn't one I was interested in either, but a stellar paint job and simple, but fun transformation which gets you a solid looking robot mode and decent alt mode was enough for me. He's fun and looks great. Makes the other Movie Grimlock toys look a bit silly by comparrison.
I'm just not that sold on the basic design of the Movie Dinobots to be honest. I suspect it's going to come down to seeing him in store and getting carried away (the reason I got Prime, though I do wish I'd held out for the DOTM one).

Quote:
Blackout is great. I love him. He's a bit of a lurker, his bulk mitigating his articulation, but I've been really impressed. For me he could have used a slightly darker palette.
I love him - he is a bit of a statue but just the sheer size. He's 110% the looming guy who just floats down onto the top of the building in Mission City.

Quote:
Crowbar is good, but those dreadlocks... they just get in the way too much. A good figure overall, and I love the horrible looking barbed weapons.
Yeah, considering they've really finally said "**** weapon storage" and gone for MP-style accessories the dreads really should have been removable. But yeah, I like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
TLK Hot Rod showed up today courtesy of Tantrum.

Not overwhelmed by the robot mode, but the car sure is pretty. This is a remold of AOE Lockdown? Neat.
I like his transformation and he's got decent detail but there's something about his legs, they seem very stiff and lanky compared to most Movieverse figures.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-19, 12:31 AM   #6194
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
DotM Megatron from Clay. I've given him Evasion Prime's weapon, which is notched to fit Meg's hand. I wonder if they planned this when sculpting Meg's hands, or if the notches were just general hollowness that they made work.
Hmm. I've never actually thought to try that, but I can see how it'd work.

As for Megatron, I still think pretty highly of the mechanism for making the trailer swivel on the hitch to the cab despite it being located in the middle of the robot's thighs (I think?). They've made some other truck/trailer figures since then that maintain articulation between the cab and the trailer (CW Ultra Magnus, for example), but not any that also have other, different articulation points for the robot in the same spot. It's neat!

As for me, I got a box on Tuesday with SS Ironhide, Jazz, and Lockdown. In addition to those, I also bought a Masterpiece Clamp Down since it was on markdown. I wanted a Red Alert version of the Countach mold that was crisp white instead of the creamy white of the Anime version (which I now need to sell if anyone wants it). I like the interplay between Sideswipe, G2 Sideswipe, and Red Alert as they all use the same colors (red, white, and black) to different effects. Oh! And I also got the third party add on kit for SS Grimlock so that he has two hands and his other weapons and stuff. It's nice!

But that was Tuesday. Today, I got a box with only one thing: Perfect Effect MEGA DORAGON (Transmetal 2 Megatron).

IT IS OVERWHELMING AND AWESOME. I CAN'T EVEN.

<ahem> I'll tell you all more about later. It's important. The first transformer that I ever bought as an adult was TM2 Megatron, and this is just... just a great update.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 02:00 PM   #6195
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

SS Lockdown.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote