Best. Anime and Manga series. Ever.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
OmegaDenmad
Protoform

Best. Anime and Manga series. Ever.

Post by OmegaDenmad »

This just can't be a poll... I don't see more than 2 people agreeing about this one :p.

So, what's your choice for best anime ever? I hardly can choose myself, there are just so many that are so good...

I would have to say Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai-X) has gotten my complete attention these days. Appart from the overwhelming art of the manga, there is also the whole historical context, and such great characters like Sanosuke, Hajime Saito, Enishi, just to name a few. And the anime speaks for itself, specially the OVAs.

Runner up would be Cowboy Bebop. :D
Insert philosophical phrase here. Yeaaaaah right.
Jim

Post by Jim »

In no particular order:

Those Who Hunt Elves
Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV and OVAs
MACROSS TV
Slayers Original, NEXT, TRY, all the OVAs and Movies. :)
Bubblegum Crisis Original and 2040
MACROSS Plus
Utena The Movie
Vampire hunter D
Burn Up W
Dirty Pair Flash
Wings of Honnemaise

EDIT:
Sorcerer Hunters
Yamamoto Yohko OVA, not TV
Moldiver
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Astrotrain99
Protoform

Post by Astrotrain99 »

Vampire Hunter D
Record of the Lodos War
The Slayers
Those who Hunt Elves
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Serial Experiments Lain

Astrotrain trips: Come take a cruse of the lovely planet of Char, er... ok, maybe not that lovely.
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

God, I sound like an old record player, but Laputa, 3x3 eyes, and some more hwen I remeber
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Manga: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
"Manga superior, anime inferior!"

Anime: My Neighbour Totoro

Yes, I like Hayao Miyazaki´s works.
Evil Magnus
Protoform

Post by Evil Magnus »

Record Of Lodoss War
Tank Police (Old and New)
Night Warriors
Garand

Post by Garand »

Haven't seen Tank Police since the last time Sci-Fi showed it..

My money's on Cowboy Bebop.. then again, i'm failry new to anime..
Djar][aCho
Protoform

Post by Djar][aCho »

seen alot of good stuff, but i would stick to the first robotech(macross) films, Calsh of the bioroids was I think the american title of the first adapted compilation :-)
:cool:
did you know there is more mercury in the average ocean fish than in a rectal thermometer? would you eat a rectal thermometer?? well i would!! :-)
Sades

Yeeaaaahhhh!!

Post by Sades »

Slayers
Vampire hunter D
Wings of Honnemaise
Neon Genesis Evangelion (really, they gotta feed those kids once in awhile...;) )
Galaxy Express 999 (Must... watch... again...)
Perfect Blue
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Jeez..Neon Evangelion, Cowboy Bebeop, yep all good series.

i was a bit doubtful regarding Perfect Blue being nominated, it was good I felt, but not warranted as being great.
Sades

Well...

Post by Sades »

I enjoy psychological thrillers, and I was happy to find "Perfect Blue", and I think it is a great movie... Mind, I watched it just after "Blood: The Last Vampire"... that one was okay, but not as good; a bit too "Hollywood" for my tastes...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I love what I've seen of mobile suit gundam: the 08th ms team, and ultimate teacher always amuses me. Vampire hunter D was another great one...ooh I could go on and on.
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

I think Saysadie we have to disagree to agree, I though Blood was very good infact, short, but it was the first time anime utilising digital technology, and though no excuse I admit, it was a faithful adaption of the manga. The lead character did seem to resemble angelina jolie a bit me thinks though, and fascination with schoolgirl uniforms still runs strong

By no means is Perfect Blue great, but I understand what you mean, you like psychological thrillers etc, but for me it wasn;t that good a thriller, it failed on many levels for me, but i did enjoy it though. I know friends who think its excellent though.

Its good that many people support anime though, its sort of died in the UK now..
Almagnus1
Protoform

Post by Almagnus1 »

I would say either Neon Genesis Evangelion, Trigun, or Cowboy Bebop
Sades

*nods*

Post by Sades »

Originally posted by yakumo
I think Saysadie we have to disagree to agree, I though Blood was very good infact, short, but it was the first time anime utilising digital technology, and though no excuse I admit, it was a faithful adaption of the manga. The lead character did seem to resemble angelina jolie a bit me thinks though, and fascination with schoolgirl uniforms still runs strong

By no means is Perfect Blue great, but I understand what you mean, you like psychological thrillers etc, but for me it wasn;t that good a thriller, it failed on many levels for me, but i did enjoy it though. I know friends who think its excellent though.

Its good that many people support anime though, its sort of died in the UK now..
To each their own, m'dear! I know nothing about the Blood Manga, so I really can't comment on that... I did enjoy the movie's story, but I tend to be a bit leery of that "type" of movie... heavily reliant on visuals isn't really my thing... and, of course, neither are the schoolgirl uniforms... ;)

Perfect Blue was the very first psychological thriller anime that I had seen... I really don't have much of a basis for comparision, so, for me, it is the best... so far. I've no doubt there's much better out there.... care to suggest any? I'm always looking for good Anime titles.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Transformers, followed by Dragon Ball Z.
Ultra Magnus
Protoform

Post by Ultra Magnus »

macross
macross plus
neon genesis evangelion
tenchi(all but in tokyo)
cowboy bebop
OmegaDenmad
Protoform

Post by OmegaDenmad »

Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
tenchi(all but in tokyo)
Tenchi in Tokio, aka "Sailor Tenchi" you mean? :D
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Saysadie try Serial Experiments Lain, rent it our or borrow a copy. But very good, here's some stuff about it I nicked form Amazon:)

Serial Experiments Lain is deep, very deep. As an anime almost indescribable, it will stick will you for life as it haunts you with its silent mysteries. Never have I seen an anime anything like this one. I remember the nights where Lain just stood in my head, as I wondered how the true secrets would eventually uncover from their cloaked darkness.

The artwork that was shown in this raging series was that of which reminded me of something from a basic MTV cartoon. Of course this isn't awful at any bit, it's just a different style with a nice appeal of eye candy and detailed but somewhat creepy designs. The unique computer (or according to this anime title, "Navi") and electrical designs/styles were done very beautifully and caught my eye every time. I curiously noted much of the Navi features and I thought about the terrific effort that was placed into animating each little part of the visually pleasing features. If you look hard enough at Serial Experiments Lain's art, you'll spot marvelous examples of well-done (and not to mention talented) Japanese animation creations. So, although the visual artwork can be a tad strange every once and awhile, it is fine non-the less and is something oddly different.

A major part of Serial Experiments Lain to me was the puzzling, tragic, and disturbing story to it. I was almost completely lost during the first and second volumes, but then once you hit a little further into the series, everything starts to slowly pile together and make sense.

Lain is fourteen years old, regular amount of friends, quiet and un-social, but lately Lain seems to be different. What is happening to her the life around her... her world... what is it? After getting an unknown e-mail from a girl in Lain's class who has killed herself, everything starts becoming different... but why? "The Wired" (or this anime's version of something very similar to the internet) is the popular thing to the many kids (are they really kids...?) around her. Everyone's on it. What's so good about it? Could it be holding some sort of lethal secret that Lain is to find out? But... why Lain? What is this "Wired?" Is the "Wired" the reasoning for all of the ghostly events that have been happening recently?! Could a world of some sort be slowly dripping into our own.....

We're all connected... Come to the "Wired" as soon as you can... Why won't you come? ...Why won't you come...?
CounterPunch
Protoform

GUYVER

Post by CounterPunch »

Am I the only one here that likes Guyver!?!?!?!?