Heroes: Season 3 (Spoilers Inside)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Chip1123
Protoform

Heroes: Season 3 (Spoilers Inside)

Post by Chip1123 »

So what does everyone think so far? I thought several people were out of character - Mohinder in particular, but I'll get to that later.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Did you like the future Peter/current Peter storyline, and how he is now trapped in another body? Does current Peter have all of his current powers, or only the ones in his new body?

Nikki/Traci/Jessica - does each personality have their own power, or are her powers evolving like Matt's did last season?

Hiro - does he ever learn? I know he has to maintain his childlike innocence, but come on! DONT OPEN THE SAFE! oh well. Has me curious about Ando's transition to darkness that has become possible.

Mohinder - stupid scientist. seriously man- you can't do that to yourself. and what was with going all spiderman on us? but you did get with an extremely good looking girl - she looks a lot better than she did last season.

sylar - well... he doesn't eat brains, and he can't be killed now - thanks Claire... how do you stop him, other than knocking him out/restraining him. that won't last if he ever gets super strength.
so anyways, overall, i thought it was good, and would give it 4 out of 5 stars. hopefully the season continues to improve and wow us!
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yeah, I'm not bothering with spoiler tags, as there's a warning in the topic header.

Meh. So-so. They're drastically overusing the back-and-forth in time aspect, especially off the back of season 2.

Yawn to Linderman. Ooh, a deceased character spouting religious hyperbole who can only be seen by one of the principal cast. I wonder where I've seen that recently. Oh, yeah, right.

Still, nice to see Francis Capra reunited with Kristen Bell.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, all of a sudden religion is a major part of the show? Are the writers just aping Lost and Battlestar at this point?

There were some parts in the premiere that had me confused, but I was running a 103 fever at the time, so that may have been on me.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I loved Sylar in the premiere. He was always my favorite, but now he is even more badass with the healing power. Can't wait to see what will happens if he gets his hands (eyes?) on some of the guys from level 5. One of them is Magneto!

Mohinder was out of character, but what he did will definately make his character a lot more interesting. I wonder if his mutation at the end will result in something like Wings or even scales of some kind. There aren't any mutants with visible mutations yet, so he might be the first.

I totally guessed that future Peter would be the one that shot Nathan, although I didn't know why until the premiere. I'm wondering what happened to the mind of the guy from level 5 that he replaced. Also wonder how long future Peter will be in the show. Seems like an interesting idea to have two versions of the same character co-exist.

Not really into Claire or Parkman's storylines so far. Hopefully something interesting will come of them. Claire seems kinda useless now that Sylar has her powers.

Hiro and Ando made for some great comic relief as usual. My guess is that the formula that was stolen has something to do with the research that Mohinder is working on. Also can't wait to see if Ando gets the powers we saw in Hiro's visit to the future.

So far looks like it will be a very interesting season. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Blitzwing wrote:I totally guessed that future Peter would be the one that shot Nathan, although I didn't know why until the premiere.
Ah, but which Future Peter were you expecting? The one from the Season 1 alternate future where New York had blown up? The one from the Season 2 alternate future where the virus had been released?

No, instead we get Future Peter from the alternate future where Nathan outs them all. Huzzah! Which now no longer exists anyway, because it's been replaced by the alternate future in which the world cracks in half. Does that future have a Peter at all?

Good grief.

Oh, and him getting all antsy about the butterfly effect and that he's changed things? What the hell? That was the whole goddamn point of him going back - to change things.

Where did he get the reality distortion power from? I don't remember him meeting illusion girl (Candice? Was it?), but it's been a while since I've seen season 1.
I'm wondering what happened to the mind of the guy from level 5 that he replaced.
If it's a mindswap, gotta wonder where Peter's real body is. I guessed FP just used his reality distortion stuff to make him look like Weevil Jesse. Which begs the question of where the real Jesse is.

Nice to know Bob's power. And presumably how The Company was funded. Oh, and also where Peter's dreams came from.

So... what's happened to Peter's Oirish girlfriend now? Seeing as she ended up stuck in a future that didn't happen? Or are we just meant to forget about her?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

We learned Bob's power back in season two when he introduced himself to Mohinder.

I think it would be interesting if those were scales on Mohinder's back and then the writers could be like, "Yeah, that pet lizard was foreshadowing, bitches!"

I wish we could find out Caitlyn's fate too.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Not seen ep 3 yet, but this article is pretty much on the nose about what's wrong with the show at the moment:

http://io9.com/5055835/five-easy-steps-to-save-heroes
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Halfshell wrote:Not seen ep 3 yet, but this article is pretty much on the nose about what's wrong with the show at the moment:

http://io9.com/5055835/five-easy-steps-to-save-heroes
meh i disagree with that. especially the bit about bringing the fun back. hiro and daphne's story is fun enough, i'm fed up of hiro being a goofy childlike character, nasty things have happened so you'd expect him to take on a more serious edge if he's ever gonna get to badass future hiro. i think this season's kicked ass so far, no slow starts like the last 2 seasons, great character development, particularly Sylar and Claire and hints that a major character could become a villain...well maybe not a villain as such but i believe it was hiro who was doing the wrong thing in the future from the looks of it. And they've finally dispelled the whole Sylar eating Brains crap, From season 1 they've indicated that his power involves "seeing the way things work" and i've always thought that he examined the brain to learn abilities rather than ingesting it. yeah the show needs to stop using time travel as a scapegoat almost as much as it needs to stop ripping storylines from x-men (although the thought of Mohinder as a beast-like character is pretty cool) but overall i think the show's better than ever, especially now that jessica/nikki's dead and President Sheridan is in it.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

While I'm sick of the alternate future apocalypse crap, I've gotta say this season is shaping up to be much better than the second one and starting off faster than the first. My interest has been held, at least.

Also not a big fan of Claire's Spock-with-a-goatee evilness.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yeah, we're gradually getting there.

Good things:
- Sylar retains the powers of Sprague and Isaac, so it is obviously just a case of re-learning them (which explains how he kept the TK).
- Not Mohinder who created the virus. That's better.
- Haitian's presence explains how Claire thought shooting Peter would work before... though it obviously wouldn't have at the time, or he wouldn't have been able to freeze time.
- Dead Future Peter. Sensible play. Still want to know why that scar won't heal, though.

Shame they couldn't age Molly for the future stuff.

And still not sure why Sylar willingly returned to Level 5 at the end of last week's episode.

Emo Claire's a bit much, but I can cope.

Not sure why Present Peter wanted to cut open Nathan's head, though, hunger accounted for... his body automatically mimics powers without needing to see the schematics. Unless he just wanted to see how his mind worked... which... yuck.

Yay for David Anders though. Let's hope he gets an actually interesting role this year.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Hiro stabbed Ando! That's not very freindly. At least he finally did something exciting. No wonder Ando gives him the ol' hadoken in the future.
I'm glad Linderman is just one of Parkman sr.'s mind f*cks and not a stupid ghost.
So now Mohinder spackles people to the wall like an alien. His storyline is not so interesting.
The first 2 seasons were pretty strong, but I don't know about this one. I am curious to see where it goes now that old man Petrelli's in the mix.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

That episode was much, much better. Plot threads actually coming together, with an indication that they'll go somewhere. Proper answers (ghost Linderman, why Nathan's power is so different to that of his brothers) and sides being picked. Sylar still re-learning his old powers.

Mohinder's arc is a bit "eh?" still, and Old Man Petrelli was a bit obvious (the real big reveal being Parkman's daddy, whose appearance just made everything click even before the exposition).

Hiro stabbing Ando, though. What the ****'s that all about? Even considering the "you betray me in the future!" business, that was massively out of character...
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I thought that the latest one was seriously the best episode of the season so far.

Positives - I'm actually liking the whole Mohinder thing, it's obvious so far that hes a complete spider-man rip off in terms of his powers, but I'm liking that the evolution of the powers are taking a much more sinister route.

Negatives - Peter, seriously, I get the whole hunger thing (actually, no I don't, I think it's completely stupid), I understand what this hunger does to him etc, but his progression in the last ep was just stupid, within 5 minutes he very very nearly killed his mother, too much of a personality shift too quickly for my liking (I have a feeling that theyre just going to use Peter like they did Sylar in the first season, this pretty unstoppable guy who cuts peoples heads open to see how they tick)

General negatives about the show so far -

Ali Larter shoulda left the show last season, for me Jessica/Nikki was the least interesting character throughout the first two seasons, and that hasnt changed with Tracie.

The whole painting of the future thing, it was kinda cool during the first season, it was semi acceptable in the second, but now in the third its as if theyre shoehorning the concept in for two reasons 1) so that they can give a glimpse at the future (which they could have used mrs petrelli for) and 2) so they can get more of Tim Sales work in there.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Agree on the future painting. I mean I accept that there are going to be multiple people with the same powers but it's... well, it's disheartening to see them recycling the same ideas so quickly. Same as the "timejump to the future to see the impending catastrophe" thing - it's like they've got no other way of driving the plot forward.

Okay, most stories are about preventing something / making sure it happens... and if you had the timehop power, you probably would. But still.

Fortunately it looks like African Painter won't be a major player, just a one-off meeting for Matt.

I get the whole "hunger" thing. It's an obsessive thirst for knowledge deal... but that's more a Gabriel character trait than part and parcel of the "understanding" power, surely? Meh. Whever. I can go with it. Nathan et al as unwitting baddies who mostly think they're the goodies... Peter as a loose cannon. Works fo' me.

I just want to know who little Noah's momma is.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Halfshell wrote: Hiro stabbing Ando, though. What the ****'s that all about? Even considering the "you betray me in the future!" business, that was massively out of character...
It was certainly a John Locke beating the ever-loving shit out of Charlie moment, for sure.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Personally I'd consider anyone capable of leaving someone who can't die buried alive in a coffin for months and keep smiling innocently completely off the chart.

Vortex-dudes' tragedy was touching.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

slartibartfast wrote:Personally I'd consider anyone capable of leaving someone who can't die buried alive in a coffin for months and keep smiling innocently completely off the chart.
Ah, but Adam Munroe was a virran. I mean villain. And, as you say, he can't die, so it's not like Hiro killed him. Just put him somewhere he couldn't harm anyone else. Because Hiro's a Hero.

Stabbing his best friend through the heart because his new Nemesis' buddy tells him to? That's just... no.
Vortex-dudes' tragedy was touching.
Possibly the most heroic thing in the season so far.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

It was pretty obvious that Hiro never intended to dig the guy up. It's like he would have happily left him to slowly go insane over the decades. It's like something out of Preacher. I must admit that the thought that he had really killed Ando hadn't crossed my mind. He can do pretty much anything, why not just hop back and pluck a past Ando and bring him to the present or something?
Halfshell wrote:Possibly the most heroic thing in the season so far.
Yeah. Although if he had taken Bennet (Gordon?) with him it would've made him a star.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

slartibartfast wrote:It was pretty obvious that Hiro never intended to dig the guy up. It's like he would have happily left him to slowly go insane over the decades.
Genuinely doubt the longterm effects on Adam's sanity really occurred to him. Hiro seems to have the most black and white morality of all the characters.* Adam's a villain who murdered Hiro's father, he can't be killed, therefore he'll just get put away. Done, dusted, justice is dealt, think no more of it. Adam's evil, so deserves what he gets. Not a second thought.

* - which is what makes him stabbing Ando a real mind****.
I must admit that the thought that he had really killed Ando hadn't crossed my mind. He can do pretty much anything, why not just hop back and pluck a past Ando and bring him to the present or something?
Because changing the past to prevent a friend's death worked so well in season 1 with Charly.

And plucking an earlier incarnation of your friend out of his time to help you in the future? "Hi, I killed you in the future, but feel guilty about it, so am bringing your present self into the further future so you'll still be around... of course this means you won't be about when I kill you so it kind of makes it redundant... unless I return you to now when we're done, but then you'll have memories of this happening so will know I kill you and oh look I've gone cross-eyed."
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I'm sure he'd find a way. Of course, if he does use his powers to bring Ando back, it would explain why he would be so pissed off at him in the future. Hiro would be all it was for the greater good, and Ando be all like WTF, you ****ing stabbed me you little shit!. Hiro makes bad guys for himself to beat.

I'd find it more believable if it wasn't over some trite plan to hang around with the thief on the off-chance that she'll lead him to the person who payed her (is that it?)