War Within #5 covers?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

War Within #5 covers?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, I'm sure I heard somewhere than that original plan for this was a Don standard cover, and a Pat incentive... then I'm sure I heard the Don cover was dropped altogether, and the Pat one made standard [the version I have, with thanks to Josh M :)]... but I went on ebay because it's nifty for finding small cover scans for comic reviews, and both are listed, with the Lee one called "the alternative cover" and seeming to fetch a fair amount for a DW comic [$10-ish]... but the Don cover's there as well... so did the Don cover come out at all? Or are sellers just using some stock image for any copy of WW#5?

Cheers!
Bombshell

Re: War Within #5 covers?

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
so did the Don cover come out at all? Or are sellers just using some stock image for any copy of WW#5?

Cheers!

Yeah, the Don one did come out. It's the one I own. And I was under the impression that they did the Pat cover in small runs, considering I never saw a copy with that cover until recently.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Cheers Bombers!

And cheers Big M for getting me a rare variant! :smokin:
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Cheers Bombers!

Thanks.

Also, weren't they originally planning to do the Pat cover for #6? The previews for it all said it would have that cover, so why did they do a last minute change to do it for #5, instead? Or did they do it for both #5 and #6?
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

I think they only did it for 5, even though it was for six, IIRC from my issues of TWW
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Lord Zarak
I think they only did it for 5, even though it was for six, IIRC from my issues of TWW

I think it would have been better if they did it for #6.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Yeah, a nice way to round off the series.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Bombshell
Also, weren't they originally planning to do the Pat cover for #6? The previews for it all said it would have that cover, so why did they do a last minute change to do it for #5, instead? Or did they do it for both #5 and #6?

Ahhh, that rings a bell... I'm sure the version I heard was that the Lee incentive cover for #6 would become the cover for #5, so obviously [seeing as people do own both] it was switched to being the incentive for #5 for some reason, maybe to get more readers onboard for the last 2 issues....
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Cliffy, do you see a conspiracy theory in a lot of things, or is it me? :glance:
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Ahhh, that rings a bell... I'm sure the version I heard was that the Lee incentive cover for #6 would become the cover for #5, so obviously [seeing as people do own both] it was switched to being the incentive for #5 for some reason, maybe to get more readers onboard for the last 2 issues....

Well, that sounds like a pretty wierd thing to do. If it was mean to draw in new readers, then why didn't they do it for #1. I mean, doing an incentive cover for a comic series that's just about to end for the purpose of bringing in new readers just seems like a waste of money, considering that said people would need to find the previous four issues to figure out what's going on.

Oh, wait. This is Dreamwave we're talking about here.

Never mind. :p
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Heh - hmm, it is a bit illogical though, but I think TFWW sales were a bit more disappointing than they'd hoped for, and it could have taken until that late for these poor figures to filter back... they did do an incentive for Armada #7, after all...
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Heh - hmm, it is a bit illogical though, but I think TFWW sales were a bit more disappointing than they'd hoped for, and it could have taken until that late for these poor figures to filter back...

Funny. I heard that people actually liked the series more than G1 Vol 1 or Armada.
they did do an incentive for Armada #7, after all...

They also did four covers of issue #1 of G1 Vol 1, three for #2 and #5, and two for the rest of them.

Doesn't that just scream, and I quote from your own essay, "The Dreamwave Disaster", "bleeding money from completists?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Bombshell
Funny. I heard that people actually liked the series more than G1 Vol 1 or Armada.

Aye, it was on the whole better-received... but it didn't really crossover beyond Transformers fans, unlike G1, and started off with sales just outside Diamond's top 10 [G1 was usually top 3] dropping to outside the top 20... I think it was hurt more than Armada by the whole license debacle, as it was sold a lot on Furman's name and little else, which still carries a bit more clout among fans in the UK, where for many fans he is Transformers, than in the US, where he still doesn't have as much recognition as most American stauration andnostalgia is built around the cartoon...
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Aye, it was on the whole better-received... but it didn't really crossover beyond Transformers fans, unlike G1, and started off with sales just outside Diamond's top 10 [G1 was usually top 3] dropping to outside the top 20... I think it was hurt more than Armada by the whole license debacle, as it was sold a lot on Furman's name and little else, which still carries a bit more clout among fans in the UK, where for many fans he is Transformers, than in the US, where he still doesn't have as much recognition as most American stauration andnostalgia is built around the cartoon...

Of course. With the cartoon being so widely available to fans (even now with it being out on DVD), most fans automatically consider that the be all, end all when it comes to TF...even when they ignore the laughable plots, sloppy animation errors (especially in the third season), dropping in character with no other explanation other than that they were part of that years toy crop (aside from the Dinobots, Skyfire, Insecticons Stunticons and Aerialbots, almost none of the characters in the series ever got a reasonable explanation to their presence, other than the fact that "Oh, they're part of the toy line, so let's just cram 'em in." I'm pretty sure that the only reason why people even bought G1 Vol 1 was because of the whole "80's Nostalgia" thing, even if the thing was, at best, a laughably bad excuse for a comic, that even makes the worst episodes of G1 seem like Oscar winners by comparison.

Of course, there are some people over here who consider Simon Furman THE god when it comes to TF, and it is those who bought War Within. It's a real shame then that there numbers are few, because I think that most fans would enjoy War Within, even if they never read a Simon Furman comic, or have even the slightest clue who he was.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

My shop sold me the Don cover, saying, "this one is the variant, so I can only sell you one of them." Almost their entire shipment was the Pat Lee cover, so that's why Tom & Adam ended up with the apparently rare variant. I should check the shelf to see if there are any copies left. You never know...

Speaking of variants, anyone got pics of the 2 Armada #7 covers? I have one copy, but I'm not sure if it's the variant or the regular, and I'm tending to be one of those completists who get bled dry by DW... ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hey, no complaints from me - it's actually a very nice cover, and Don's WW covers are a little... repetitive!

Oh, and: -

<Standard>

<Incentive>

Hmm, not an especially delish incentive cover, is it? It's about 30 degrees away from being his boxart...
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

OK, I'm not too bummed out about missing it, then. Pretty weak, at least give him a damn background or something!

I liked that cover by Don, since it was painted and really looked sharp, but that's just me...
Hound

Post by Hound »

Actually the white background makes it contrast with all the other comics on the rack and so makes it stand out to the casual buyer. My problem is he drew the wings and the feet wrong...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Hmm, not an especially delish incentive cover, is it? It's about 30 degrees away from being his boxart...

Originally posted by Hound
My problem is he drew the wings and the feet wrong...

Um...you guys do realize you're talking about Pat "P*ss Perspective" Lee, right?
Astrotrain99
Protoform

Post by Astrotrain99 »

I picked up both cover versions when it came out. Not bad though I prefer Don's cover.

Astrotrain trips: Come take a cruse of the lovely planet of Char, er... ok, maybe not that lovely.