[CUSTOM] Assorted Touch-Up

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Blackjack

[KITBASH] Assorted Touch-Up

Post by Blackjack »

Well, all of you are kitbashing, and I thought I'd give kitbashing a go. So I hopped to the local bookstore, came out with a bunch of markers, acrylic paints and a thin brush.

Because I'm an idiot who doesn't read around this forum and find the extremely helpful guides, I went away straight to kitbashing.

My first victim was ROTF Legends Sideways. See, Sideways is supposed to have this black stripe across his whole car body, right? So I painted that stripe with paint. Took loads of trial and error to understand how the acrylic paint works. Then I realised the side black stripes are upside-down, so I covered the side black stripes with a silver marker (a bad move, in retrospect) and painted the black details myself.

And then I went and blackened some of the vehicle molded details, and when I transformed I continued to brighten up the robot mode a little... silver the black bits, and blacken the grey bits, a mixture of the two for the molded hands... Basically I just try to bring out the details already there but left unseen due to the two-tone toy.

I may have to go and get some bright red paint for the back lights and the robot mode stomach, but I thought it came out okay. And, to boot, it was fun! Acrylic paint cleans up pretty nicely, so it wasn't as messy as I thought it would be.

It's still a rubbish toy, but at least it's more movie accurate now. And it's my first kitbash, so I love him. I'm surprised he turned up presentable at all.

If I have the time, this weekend I'll touch up Knock Out.
Attachments
Kitbash Sideways car 2.JPG
Kitbash Sideways robot.JPG
Kitbash Sideways car.JPG
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Before, it looked like this.
Attachments
rotf_sideways2_robot.jpg
rotf_sideways2_alt.jpg
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Pretty good for your first start. Certainly like to see more in the future.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

This is really, really good. I have to admit I have no idea what Sideways is supposed to look like, but it doesn't matter because adding some paint makes him look a lot better whether it's more accurate or not.

I've always been terrified to work on anything this small, because I don't have very steady hands and there's no chance the end result will be even passable. That's why I tend to stick to bigger figures that I can disassemble and paint one piece at a time.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I knew he needs the big center stripe, certainly, but I didn't know about the smaller details and side window things. I took to google and looked for his alternate mode, and the Audi R8 prop turned out to be a wee bit more... detailed than I've remembered. Not that the actual movie itself showcased Sideways much, mind you, barring it being a 'silver and black Audi that got cut into two by the Corvette Autobot'.

The big stripe wasn't very hard to paint, mostly because Hasbro left guiding paint lines in the molding, which I simply followed with acrylic paint. The sides and the robot mode, however, I had to do myself with a thin thin brush.

The toy's pretty crappy. They had the gall to paint a chunk of his vehicle mode's rear in silver -- which isn't in the real Audi, and doesn't show up in the robot mode, so it's there for no reason -- but left out the proper black stripe. Not sure if it's a chicken licensing dodging thing, because this isn't licensed, but it does make for a very ugly toy. And it's got a shitty robot mode as well, which is why he'll be remaining in vehicle mode for the rest of his life so he can show off his pretty stripe.

This and this were my references. Obviously the teeny tiny stripe in the center of the vehicle, like a 'cut here' sign for Sideswipe, wasn't going to be easily replicated in a Legends Class toy, so I left it out.

Today I bought red paint, and painted his rear lights. Will put photos if/when I get to it.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I changed the title so I don't clog up the creative forum. Here's a touched-up Brimstone, of the 2010 Transformers line.

Basically I painted the chopper bike handles black, and silvered the pipes, as well as some of the molded details on gray plastic. Because it's a very plain looking toy, especially with the mass of gray that ends up on the leg. I'm not too happy with how the robot mode's legs ended up, but, well, I thought it helped break out the gray plastic somewhat, without having to resort to painting huge chunks of the leg which would show up in vehicle mode.

Silver on gray isn't very good on photos, so you probably won't see the difference as clearly.
Attachments
Brimstone Custom 4.JPG
Brimstone Custom 3.JPG
Brimstone Custom 2.JPG
Brimstone Custom 1.JPG