FAO Denyer > Toy Checklist, and a chance for the rest of you to do something useful..

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

FAO Denyer > Toy Checklist, and a chance for the rest of you to do something useful..

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://www.counter-x.net/tf/checklist/index.html > US Geeewun toy checklist, ~350k.

Purposefully kept light on variant/origin nerdwaffle... I've fudged a few assortment names for simple ease of layout as well, so if anyone violently disagrees please post here to say - also, any corrections are welcome, I have the nagging feeling I've missed something somewhere.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Just a note:

Motormaster was a Kenworth COE.
Come on and wind me up.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

In.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Three hundred and fif– I'm going to write a stylesheet primer one of these days.

Looks excellent. This is just America, yeah? (I'm assuming as I've skimmed and don't see Tracks under Actionmasters.)
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

very nice

I have heard Warpath descriped as a Sheriden tank

Blaster's name seems to have slipped into Twintwists slot.

I think Siren is a Toyota Supra
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Only yellow Bumblejumpers were sold on Cliffjumpoer cards. No red Bumblejumpers, and never on Bumblebee cards.

Red Bumblebee/yellow Cliffjumper variants continued into the 1985 assortment with rubsigns.

Omega Supreme was by ToyBox, not ToyCo.

Evidence for a US release of a Bruticus giftset could never be provided.

Predaking and Abominus DEFINITELY didn't come out as giftsets in the US.

Reflector was cancelled in 1984 because Hasbro didn't like the toy, but thought it would make for a nifty giveaway.

Typo on "Gasket".

Doublespy's official name on the packaging was "Punch-Counterpunch".

There WAS a US Piranacon giftset, but it only contained five team members. Nautilator was missing.

Did the first wave of Micromasters positively still come out in 1988? The Hartmans have even the earliest wave listed as 1989.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
This is just America, yeah?

No, the abbreviation "US" is just my zany sense of humour... And you know I'm bad at HTML... If Dreamweaver's clean up HTML thingy doesn't fix it, it don't get fixed :p

@ Nevermore:

All fixed, 'cept: -
Red Bumblebee/yellow Cliffjumper variants continued into the 1985 assortment with rubsigns.
Bit too specific for this 'un :) S'meant a bit more as a "My First Transformers Checklist" (or, for board use, a "Transformers carried on after the cartoon, idiot" checklist...) rather than anything advanced :)

If wanted, a G2 one can follow, I think I'm just about up to that... Maybe the Euro G1.5 stuff as well.

@ Optimusskids:

Blaster thing fixed. That's having a hack whose main skills are Ctrl+C, Crtl+V, try to remember to edit for ya :) Both alt modes are in - a quick scan of Wikipedia seems to agree :)

Cheers :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Nevermore
There WAS a US Piranacon giftset, but it only contained five team members. Nautilator was missing.

Did the first wave of Micromasters positively still come out in 1988? The Hartmans have even the earliest wave listed as 1989.

Ahh, on both counts I'm working from Rob Jung's old list... Sorted.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
No, the abbreviation "US" is just my zany sense of humour...
Indeed. Missed that bit and was reading the page.

How many pre-G2 UK/Euro exclusives are there other than the deluxe Actionmasters and Classic Hero lines? (And that whole mess of crossover between original line and G2 over here.)

Might be worth noting the figures that very specifically only got a US mainline release, such as Swoop.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

How many pre-G2 UK/Euro exclusives are there other than the deluxe Actionmasters and Classic Hero lines? (And that whole mess of crossover between original line and G2 over here.)
Hmmm... Turbomasters/Predators'd be in there, as would the Motorvators, Clench & Pyro, Two Thirds Of Leokaiser We Aren't Even Going To Bother Naming (hey, they're as exclusive as Minerva was to Japan), Overlord (well, America didn't get him...) then I think it'd be "Was it G2" stuff like the Power Masters. That's mainly off the top of my head, I'd probably have a vague stab at research before actually doing the thing. It probably pans out, with the Classics, as a couple of fairly "full" years. Merging it in might be more of an option, but you know what American fans can be like sometimes.
Might be worth noting the figures that very specifically only got a US mainline release, such as Swoop.

Yup, if someone can positively which ones did - IIRC, Gigi in Italy released a whole stack of stuff the rest of Europe didn't get, which meant not a huge amount got skipped in all of Europe, and I don't want to get into "The UK got him, Germany didn't, France got four and he came out as part of G2 in Holland with extra bombs" stuff.

Plus stuff just seems to have crossed the channel, even then... I picked up the four Autobot tapes around Classics era in John Menzies, and I'm damned if I could ever find a logical explanation, as what I read (albeit five years ago) they didn't come out in the UK in '86 or the 1990s... Same thing cropped up doing the Gobot checklist - a lot of stuff that was apparently US exclusive seems to have seeped across in significant numbers (Sparky, for instance, was apparently American exclusive, but you can't swing a cat without finding UK-based examples for sale on ebay...).

I could do a similarly simple Japanese one too, but that'd definitely need a severe proof-read from people Who Know What The Fu*k They're On About And Aren't Just Winging It (i.e. people who aren't me).
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Would Euro tail end G1 exclusives only contain UK releases? As some of the later toys had name variants in different countries... and then you'd have to filter in Italian toys which had different names from the get-go. Europe is a tricky field. :\

This is an accurate list on European toys, but it's missing anything between MB and Euro exclusives.

http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/veurolist.html

Regarding Classics, don't believe anyone telling you about variants in the same markets with "Classic" vs. no "Classic" monikers. UK (English) and bilingual French/Dutch packaging had the name "Classic", Spanish and Italian packaging had not. Spanish Onslaught was the only non-Italian Classic with an different name from the UK/F/NL version ("Oslat"). Name variants other than Italy started around the time of the Turbomasters etc.

"Was it G2" is pretty easy. Or wait, it's not.

European non-G2 toys released in 1993 were re-released in 1994, this time in G2 packaging. Clench and Pyro were renamed into Colossus and Spark, everyone else retained their names (it was not a "UK vs. rest of Europe" name change for the Obliterators, it was a "pre-G2 vs., G2 packaging" change).

Seriously, believe Fred's list.

Or use my incomplete TF Wiki list as a template.

List
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I did all the Euro-centric exclusives as Icons that I could find, after a month of scouring the net. (They're up on the fandom section under 'Euroforce'), but I couldn't BEGIN to tell you the national breakdown, or which qualified as end of G1, beginning of G2, or the 'middle' of each.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Hey Cliffy, the large base figure in 1986 for the Decepticons wasn't Galvatron.

Trypticon for those who are wondering.

EDIT: Did Hun-grrr have two or three r's in it? [/annoying nitpick]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yup, if someone can positively which ones did
I was thinking more of just the notables (eg, the ones people bothered to write into letter columns and complain about not getting released. Major omissions, where a member of a team was dropped or the "opposite faction equivalent" got canned.)

There were certainly lots of stores who just imported stock, with all the overlap with US releases and stuff like Diaclone that entailed -- Menzies had US suppliers for comics as well, that was the first time I saw Joes/G2 stuff.

For main focus, I think it's fair enough to stick to things we know and mark it as such. If people want to then contribute lists for other countries, that's great.

"Was it G2" is a ****ing sod, resisting attempts to approach the information from a database perspective and making a mockery of the directory hierarchy systems of places such as TFU.info...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, it'd be a bit of a minefield that better minds than me have failed to negotiate... it'd be one we'd have to be careful with, as a muddled "let's just try and get every figure on this thing" one could well end up downright disinformative. As said, the problem with Euro exclusives is where to draw the line... what about those little G2 cars that came out with random names and colour changes? Variants or whole new figures (in principle, it's no different than, say, Gripper being a whole new figure)? To do something like that properly you'd have to carry it right on into G2 (weren't the Power Masters out in '94? Not to mention quibbling stuff like Archforce and Sureshot.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

@ Civ: D'oh! Cheers... there are probably a few like that in there.
I was thinking more of just the notables (eg, the ones people bothered to write into letter columns and complain about not getting released. Major omissions, where a member of a team was dropped or the "opposite faction equivalent" got canned.)
I'll pour through the issues, but it's not really the most scientific method... It only covers the UK for one (Italy, for example, got the Predacons I believe). Off the top of my head it's Shockwave, Swoop, Sky Lynx, the Autobot Cassettes, the Predacons, the Deluxe Whatevers, any mailaways, Fort Max (?), a few of the Pretenders (I think the ones that disappear after the comic intro - Splashdown and them). Got greys on people like Perceptor, Blaster, Ratbat and Omega. Other problem is that useful information from the comics letters page just stops when The Dreadwind Pissing And Bitching Page kicks in and Marvel decide alienating the readers is a damn good move... :(
There were certainly lots of stores who just imported stock, with all the overlap with US releases and stuff like Diaclone that entailed -- Menzies had US suppliers for comics as well, that was the first time I saw Joes/G2 stuff.
Uh-huh... I'd go for making a more veriable source (either packaging images, of which I have a ****-load saved for when I tried working on a list for TFDB [it did my head in, I didn't update for six months and stopped paying for hosting, for the record...], or something like Fred's list). It just muddies the whole thing...

Was it just me, though, or did a whole bunch of Minibots (Bumblebee, Hubcap, Seaspray, Beachcomber, maybe more) get a full, proper re-release in the UK in around 91/92? OTTOMH on original cards, but I remember getting the first three in Woolies, and lots of people in school doing the same... would Woolies have been buying in five year old American stock?
For main focus, I think it's fair enough to stick to things we know and mark it as such. If people want to then contribute lists for other countries, that's great.
Okely-dokely... though US G2 is probably next on my list of things to do (though cobbling together my own update's jostling around there). G2's awesome. And fairly short and straightforward. And I can remember most of their names off-hand. But I'll have a crack at a UK list some time soon, unless anyone gets to it before me - in which case they'd probably do a better job.
"Was it G2" is a ****ing sod, resisting attempts to approach the information from a database perspective and making a mockery of the directory hierarchy systems of places such as TFU.info...

Yeh... I found the format I chose fairly inhibitive at times for the simple US line (nearly tore my hair out when it clicked Action Masters don't have an alternate mode... fudged it).
Civ

Post by Civ »

Erm...Trypticon also wasn't a "Grey/purple cannon/laser pistol". [/another annoying nitpick] Also for Tryps, I believe that Motormaster and Brawl's base modes could connect to Trypticon's city mode.

Also, I noticed you denoted leaders of the combiner teams and Dinobots. Was Scrapper the leader for the Constructicons?

Also, would this list also note that Soundwave and Blaster had opening chest doors to fit their cassettees? Like how Shockwave's note says, "features light and sound," I was wondering if those two who say...I dunno..."opening chest door feature".

As a note for Sixshot that might be interesting, weren't the instructions for the toy taped up in order to challenge the owner to figure out how to transform him into his six modes or was that just with the reissue.

Also, does this guy have a place on that list anywhere? He's a 1991 but a repaint of Actionmaster Wheeljack:

http://www.tfu.info/1991/Decepticon/Slicer/slicer.htm
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Slicer was Euro-exclusive. Probably came with a Slicer machine or something, I expect.

The Constructicons' leader was, I believe, never denoted on the toys. Though now that you mention it, I'm not sure whether it was for Grimlock - anyone know off-hand?

Personally, for the Soundwave thing I thought it was fairly self-evident - anyone else got any thoughts? Blaster, I personally found, was a bit more of a "they sort of fit, but be bloody careful" thing...

EDIT: Was the Trypticon thing in the (US) instructions, or was it something fans just found out (i.e. it was designed that way, but never mentioned)? I remember Zob's page having some waffle about all four of the '86 combiner leader's base modes clipping on there somewhere.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I don't know who Zob is but I did find a page about Tryps' transformation. The US Trypticon instructions show how to attach Motormaster and Onslaught.

http://www.cobraislandtoys.com/tf/1986/trypticon.html

Click on the pics of the instruction covers and it'll link to the full blown instructions. The transformation in question is listed under "optional transformation".

Apparently, it was designed this way using a couple of plastic connectors to connect the Combiner leaders to Tryps.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Very nice list, Cliffjumper! A lot of Micromasters I'd never even heard of, at least by name... It looks like it took a fair amount of work.

Yeah, Scrapper the toy never was listed as leader. And while I don't have Grimlock's tech spec - got the figure second-hand -(though TFA does have a scan, doesn't it?), the Marvel Transformers Universe profile does list his function as "Dinobot Commander".

A couple of other little things I noticed:

When I first read Omega Supreme noted as a train, I thought it was an error, until I remembered the track. I suppose "tank which runs on its own oval track" is kind of cumbersome...

Rampage is orange and red, with a little yellow (very little black to speak of. EDIT: In robot mode; it's true that the cat mode legs are black - so hidden in robot mode I'd nearly forgotten).

Also, Goldbug, contrary to the comic depiction, really is golden, with a navy blue head.

And, the 1987 Targetmasters are all listed as having "Headmaster" partners.

Again, nice work, man - a very useful, straightforward reference!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]