Evolution going haywire?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
starlord
Protoform

Evolution going haywire?

Post by starlord »

Is there a book or movie or t.v show about that? The closest thing to evolution going haywire is that dinosaurs show called Primeval Has anyone seen it and liked it? Is it about evolution gone haywire?
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

You obviously don’t know that much about evolution or else you would know that evolution couldn’t go haywire.

People seem to think that evolutions a predetermined process that will someday make all life space cloud people with infinite abilities.

These articles illustrate my point much better.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... dEvolution

Evolution is not a predetermined process. It is merely the survival of the species that is best suited to fit its environment. Weather that be growing thumbs or growing gills.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Although there is a school of thought that proposes that darwinism is somewhat back-to-front. In the sense that one would grow gills only if one had the desire to live underwater, that we have thumbs because someone had already thought of a use for them.

As such evolution would be predetermined to the extent of ones' creativity and inventiveness. Even if in practice it does boil down to trial and error. The main difference being that the genesis is more pro-active, as in will, than passive, as in survival.

I wouldn't mind being a space cloud person.

I have no idea where starlord got the 'evolution going haywire' thing from, but as a concept limited only by time and imagination I find it comforting that someone's having fun with their genetic lego.
Computron

Post by Computron »

and here was me thinking this was a thread on the theory that the human race appears to be de-evolving. Based on the fact that the more stupid and lazy people in the world tend to stay at home and have lots of children whilst the more intelligent generally have jobs and leave having children later at which point they only have a few.

The end result is that Evolution is going haywire because the less able parts of the human race are multiplying whilst the more able are in decline.

There is also a second theory I read relating to this that states the human race is actually splitting up because of this and eventually those who are willing and able will split away from the less able who are de-evolving.

Of course this is all very borderline eugenics but it was an interesting read and worryingly enough I heard the same theory from a friend from university who is a biologist when we met for our yearly reunion in the summer
I support a ban on powerposting
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Computron wrote: There is also a second theory I read relating to this that states the human race is actually splitting up because of this and eventually those who are willing and able will split away from the less able who are de-evolving.
This is pretty much what HG Wells said in the time machine. With the Morlocks hideous but mechanically inclined and the Eloi beautiful, numerous, stupid (and little more than food for the Morlocks). Both are descendent from modern day humans.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
wyze2099
Protoform

Post by wyze2099 »

rattrap23 wrote:You obviously don’t know that much about evolution or else you would know that evolution couldn’t go haywire.

People seem to think that evolutions a predetermined process that will someday make all life space cloud people with infinite abilities.

These articles illustrate my point much better.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... dEvolution

Evolution is not a predetermined process. It is merely the survival of the species that is best suited to fit its environment. Weather that be growing thumbs or growing gills.
Yeah, it's basically nature throwing a bunch of traits against a wall, and seeing what sticks. Which is a crude way of putting it that makes the evolutionary process sound sloppy, but there it is: the traits that work in the environment are passed on, while those that don't are phased out, so to speak. It leads to a lot of dead-ends, but it's far from a haywire process.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

Computron wrote:and here was me thinking this was a thread on the theory that the human race appears to be de-evolving. Based on the fact that the more stupid and lazy people in the world tend to stay at home and have lots of children whilst the more intelligent generally have jobs and leave having children later at which point they only have a few.

The end result is that Evolution is going haywire because the less able parts of the human race are multiplying whilst the more able are in decline.

There is also a second theory I read relating to this that states the human race is actually splitting up because of this and eventually those who are willing and able will split away from the less able who are de-evolving.

Of course this is all very borderline eugenics but it was an interesting read and worryingly enough I heard the same theory from a friend from university who is a biologist when we met for our yearly reunion in the summer
I don't care that your friend is a biologist, there's no such thing as de-evolving, because there's no magical peak of evolution that any species, including humans, can move toward or away from.

And it's fun to complain about all the stupid people reproducing, Idiocracy-style, but a lot of differences in intelligence, at least in first world society, are probably a result of social differences. Parents who aren't well-off don't have the same time or resources to attend to their kids' development that middle and upper middle class parents have. Any kid growing up in an environment where learning isn't encouraged and going to a crappy, under-funded school is likelier to be the worse for it as and adult, which will in turn affect their own children. It doesn't mean that humanity is going to turn into a bunch of cavemen in the next 1,000 years.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I work like this: If you can't afford them, either try not to have them until you can afford them or don't have them at all. If you don't want them, then definitely try not to have them.

Harsh, but hey. *shrug* It's not like the people of the world takes my thoughts or opinions to heart. I personally think that it's selfish to have kids if you can't properly provide for them on your own. At least for the people who know that havng kids is a choice.

Hell, I'm having a hard enough time trying to decide if I have enough time for a dog, forget kids.

... I should mention that I might be a bit biased at the moment because I'm getting particularly sick of hearing [certain] single mothers bitch about being treated like everyone else. You aren't special because you have a kid, sorry... you don't get extra vacation time, you're still gonna be marked down as sick or have vacay time docked if you decide to take a day off because your kid is sick, if daycare isn't open on this particular holiday and you didn't know until it was booked off by someone a little more on the ball, then yes- they will take it from your vacation/sick time if you don't show up. Sorry lady, contrary to your whining belief it is completely fair, next time make sure it's wrapped up.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!