Comic maker preference

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Trollking
Protoform

Comic maker preference

Post by Trollking »

I have question to all you comic book readers which company do you prefer?

I have that when I first began to get into comics I prefered marvel but now, I like the older DC comics.
I don't mind Image or it's spinoffs but they fee it'sl...sterile of late and uninspired.

So whom do you like?
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

Personally I like alot of Avatar's stuff
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Trollking
I don't mind Image or it's spinoffs but they fee it'sl...sterile of late and uninspired.
As opposed to the crap they put out when they first started?

I don't really have a favorite company. I'll read just about anything, if it's good.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I used to be a Marvel fan when I was a kid, now I stick mostly to DC. Actually, I've become a complete DC fanatic, and in a year's time I've more than doubled all the Marvel comics I've ever owned.

I read certain titles from various companies. The only Image title that I still read is Spawn. And that makes one of the 8 people who still read that book, period.

However, my all-time favorite comic is an Image book. The Maxx. And a damn fine comic, it is.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I read stuff because its good, not because of what logo in in the upper left corner.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I probably read more DC than anything else but my favorite is going to be whomever ends up publishing the Miracleman reprints and the last arc by Gaiman. Can't wait...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

I used to be a hardcore Marvelite. Over the years, my preference has changed to DC. I find myself becoming very fond of two titles in their Vertigo imprint, in particular...
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

grew up mostly marvel, still buy mostly marvel but i think DC is doing the better job right now..... i blame the cocaine marvel puts into each page.

i might drop everything marvel besides new and maybe young avengers. and get all that DC countdown spinoff stuff.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Hound
I probably read more DC than anything else but my favorite is going to be whomever ends up publishing the Miracleman reprints and the last arc by Gaiman. Can't wait...

Switch "Marvel" for DC and that's pretty much me... a few years ago [c. 1999/2000], Wildstorm had the best bunch of writers and artists in the world, but they've gone to pot since.
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

Personal its Marvel, Titan and the current guys doing transformers:)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Selection of old Vertigo and Wildstorm. America's Best Comics are also generally offering some decent titles.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Denyer
America's Best Comics are also generally offering some decent titles.

"generally"? Name a title that isn't at least better than most...

DC pretty much has the market cornered for the best stories when you consider Vertigo and Wildstorm are part of the company.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Zisteau
I read stuff because its good, not because of what logo in in the upper left corner.

Here's a question then from a non-comic buff -- how do you know what's good and what isn't? Do you read the book while it's on the shelf at your book store or comic shop? Do you wait awhile, then buy it after hearing the reviews? Or do you just buy something anyway and take a gamble as to whether it's good or not?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Thefallenone
and the current guys doing transformers:)

So, what? "Doesn't matter how badly they f*ck it up, at least they're making TF comics"?
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Marvel. I am inlove with the Ultimate series, more specifically Ultimate X-Men.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Hound
"generally"? Name a title that isn't at least better than most...
I thought that was a clear indicator I hadn't bothered to look up their publishing roster...
Hound

Post by Hound »

Good questions, I think I'll butt in and answer them...
Originally posted by Civ
Here's a question then from a non-comic buff -- how do you know what's good and what isn't?

You don't. Not til you've read it at least, nothing can change that.
Do you read the book while it's on the shelf at your book store or comic shop?

I don't, the guy at my local shop would probably let me but I hate it when someone comes into my work and asks where the maps are and then looks at it and doesn't by it. It's not a library it's a place of business.
Do you wait awhile, then buy it after hearing the reviews?
Sometimes, though I don't generally trust reviews. Well, not from professional critics anyway, I tend to think of them as pretentious egotists. Yeah, it's a bias of mine.

I rather tend to trust the word of people whom I'm more personally acquainted to. With comics that tends to be Maki and the asst. manager at my local shop.
Or do you just buy something anyway and take a gamble as to whether it's good or not?

Sometimes. In those instances it depends on the character(s) that star in the book. I read Aquaman's current title because I love the character and for no other reason.

Most of the time it comes down to the creative team and 75% of the time the writer.

Well actually, for the last few years it's been a list I picked up out of an old Wizard magazine. I made a thread about even, "40 greatest comic book stories". Anyway, I'll find a story from the list and if it's really great I'll go buy as many comics written by the same writer as I can find in trade paperback.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'll say Tom Strong... never really found that interesting - ooh, Moore's sending up the Silver Age. Repeat for fifty issues or whatever. Grrr-eat.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I'll say Tom Strong... never really found that interesting - ooh, Moore's sending up the Silver Age. Repeat for fifty issues or whatever. Grrr-eat.

Blasphemy! It's not just Silver Age for it's own sake. It's the style and dynamics of that era that work wrapped around a character and stories that are genuinely interesting.

So there! :p

You've read Tom Strong? Didn't like it?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
The bargain auction copies of the first four issues I got convinced me to check out more sometime... I suspect it's like most ongoing series; decent start but tapering off...

Same reason I don't plan on chasing Hitman past about the first 20 issues.