IDW comics will update G1 alt-modes / new interview(s) with Chris Ryall

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Brave Maximus

IDW's G1 is going to update the Alt modes.....

Post by Brave Maximus »

Just spotted this over at TFW2005.com
Of note is that the seekers will no longer be F15s, Megatron will not be a gun, Soundwave will not be a cassette player and the possibility of designs from the Alternators toy line integrated into the series.
Full article here

While I know this is an interesting idea.... The die-hard G1 fans might revolt (Remember Trukkk not Munkey.... and all that crap :rolleyes: )

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, to be honnest - I mean, I do like G1 to be pure G1, despite how cheezy it is with the old school stuff. On the other hand, I'm very curious about the new designs. Holding final judgement until I see some drawings.

[fourth staff edit]

Also on TFW2005, a new interview with Chris Ryall:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/the-transformers826.html

One at TFormers, too:
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=4663

Interview by KingMob at Seibertron:
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/vi ... hp?t=67514

[staff edit]

More AA notes thanks to KingMob...
http://www.transfans.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3491

Original big IDW thread:
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... adid=30663
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

Sounds interesting.
I like the premise of it ,IF done correctly (= not chessy/unneccesary).

Afterall it isn't 1984 anymore, and even TFs have to stop wearing mullets at some time, if they don't want to come across ridiculous!;)
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

I went to Auto Assembly and I think the idea is as it will be set in the present the designs will be updated to present day models of the same manufacturer. The emphasis will be on them blending in so it should make sense that way

(checks kevlar bodysuit)

I think as long as the colours and head sculpts and method of transformation ie : vertical/horizontal bonnets are the same they should be able to pull it off.

There was some joking about Soundwave being an Ipod or a BBC ouside broadcast van.

Megatron 's new mode is hush hush

We shall see it will be worth it if we get a decent comic devoid of transforming scooters and bicycles (unless its in robocapers)

Some transformers could do with updating : never having the toy of Skids I always imagined his alt mode as more small van than people carrier. Fingers crossed he comes back as a van like the one in the A team would be nice, except thats 1980's too .
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I thought someone already posted that here? :confused:

Anyway, as it's not going to be continuation of old continuities, I'm glad to hear them taking a bit more distance to Marvel comic and cartoon. Updating the designs and getting rid of Megatron's gun mode is a step in the right direction. In my opinion of course. :)
Civ

Post by Civ »

Sounds good in my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing the BT/Alt. designs integrated into G1. I also wouldn't mind seeing new modes for the seekers like the Stealth Fighter, Stealth Bomber, or SR-71 Blackbird as examples of something snazzy looking. I really hope they don't make Megs as a tank or a jet. Meg's mode needs to be distinct from the other Decepticons while at the same time, looking pretty snazzy and eye-catching. A tank is too dull and has been overdone already and a jet is used frequently enough as-is.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Osku
I thought someone already posted that here? :confused:
They did, but the old main topic has become rather involved in discussing Dreamwave's mistakes. This also has other details.
Bodycount
Protoform

Post by Bodycount »

G1 getting a makeover and a new story...
Good.
Old trash belongs in the dumpster.

So out with the old, in with the new.
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

... blackbird's not feasible as THAT design went out back in what, the 80's, early 90's?

The stealths really aren't entirely viable for one reason: the lack air to air combat measures in the way that the seekers usually fought... guns. not to mention, they'd be carrying their ordinance on the insides...

as for megatron's alt mode... heaven only knows that they can't go and keep him as a gun because "it's not viable in the toy field anymore"... if he ends up as a tank or jet, I'm going to go medieval on someone...

and to me soundwave just isn't soundwave if he isn't a tape-deck...

everyone keeps saying "get rid of the old rubbish. start fresh"

correct me if I'm wrong, but this is STILL going to be a G1 COMIC, yes?

*sigh*

but go ahead now and call me a "Gee wun fanboy wanker". I'm sure several of you would want to at this point...
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by God Jinrai
... blackbird's not feasible as THAT design went out back in what, the 80's, early 90's?

The stealths really aren't entirely viable for one reason: the lack air to air combat measures in the way that the seekers usually fought... guns. not to mention, they'd be carrying their ordinance on the insides...

But remember, these are disguises. They just have look like the jets, not exactly work and fight like them. Hidden guns are always allowable.

And I could have sworn that DW did a Blackbird Starscream design not all that long ago that looked really sweet.

As for G1 being trash? No. There were lots of plot holes and errors and such; however, it was the stuff that broke the initial ground for later TFs to come. No initial design is perfect but for it being imperfect, it was still rather entertaining and brought in the most important factor for companies -- money.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Civ
And I could have sworn that DW did a Blackbird Starscream design not all that long ago that looked really sweet.

Devil's Due Actually. In their GI Joe\TF cross over - only I guess it was a "Night Viper" or what ever the Cobra Black Bird was called ;)

I think Jinrai hit it on this one though. This is supposed to be G1. You can add to it, and play with it a little (DW with Sunstorm) - but at the core - it needs to remain G1
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
I think Jinrai hit it on this one though. This is supposed to be G1. You can add to it, and play with it a little (DW with Sunstorm) - but at the core - it needs to remain G1
Ah, but it's not going to be "Generation 1". It's going to be "Transformers". Yes similar to "G1", but not the same. If you're familiar with Marvel's "Ultimates" line, that's the comparison IDW people have used the most.

Edit:
by centurian in the TFW thread
"Furman actually mentioned that he maybe giving the Dinobots a rest for a while - especially Grimlock.

Aparently he's picked up on people coments on message boards (maybe even this one?) that he can sometimes over use Big Grim and as a result he may concentrate on some other characters for a while."

Also Transformers @ The Moon tells the same comics news in their Auto Assembly 2005 report, plus some more.
http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/miscga ... lleryID=57

"Questions soon moved onto IDW and Simon gave a little further insight into the current status of the Dreamwave stories as well as again confirming that the new books are very much a 'Marvel Ultimate's'type of project. Simon confirmed that there are plans for a 10th anniversary Beast Wars comic or perhaps comics in 2006, with both IDW and Hasbro wanting to mark that anniversary. Andrew Wildman spoke briefly on how Simon had put him in touch with IDW, and how he was very interested in working with Simon again on a Gen1 book, but how, at present, he did not fit into IDW's plans, but would keep in talks incase something arose in the future. On the subject of IDW, Simon did not want to comment on the plan for Megatron's alternative mode, but did confirm that Soundwave would definitely be changing and, at present, does not feature in the first story arch as no alt. mode has been decided. Andy Wildman was quick to request an iPod mode which brought about a few comical exchanges between himself and Simon. Simon also mentioned that, were appropriate, the Alternator mode would probably be used for the same characters, but not necessarily all. He did confirm that one of the biggest changes people would be seeing would be to the Seekers, who's original F-15 modes were in need of a serious update. Simon also again confirmed no Spike and Sparkplug, nor would the new human kid be a mechanic. The kid will be younger than Spike, but no age bracket was mentioned. IDW, and Hasbro, are hoping that the comics 'fresh start' will pull in the next generation of Transformers fans, to keep the brand going into the future."
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'd really rather just see the line move on into Alternators. G1 has really been done to death and IDW would really do better as far as pleasing more people by taking a line that hasn't been done before, that people don't have all these unattainable expectations for and show us what they can do.

Dreamwave has, I think, left a bad taste in our mouths with its G1 run, and it would be a bad move for IDW to go in that direction.

Also, if any of them are reading this - Make Megatron a tank! Seriously badass mode and he could still have a huge arm cannon.
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

Quoth Osku:
Ah, but it's not going to be "Generation 1". It's going to be "Transformers". Yes similar to "G1", but not the same. If you're familiar with Marvel's "Ultimates" line, that's the comparison IDW people have used the most.
So, in essence, this is another continuity with the story slate (more or less) wiped clean, yet still distinctly 'G1-esque' (not unlike the movie).
That's good. There'd be less argument over whether the Japanese series should apply or whether we should follow the cartoon's direction or one of the comics'.

Purists won't like it, but, in most cases, no one markets to purists if they want to stay in business.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

as for megatron's alt mode... heaven only knows that they can't go and keep him as a gun because "it's not viable in the toy field anymore"... if he ends up as a tank or jet, I'm going to go medieval on someone...
You do that. Most conventions have some form of armed security these days... make sure you take the original toy with you...

I think the rationales now more likely to be that a Walter P-38 (a fictional model, at that, from "The Man From UNCLE") is an anachronism. Plus that recurrent problem the US seems to have with teenagers and the volume of accessible weapons in circulation.
The kid will be younger than Spike, but no age bracket was mentioned.
I'm a little suss about that.
Aparently he's picked up on people coments on message boards (maybe even this one?) that he can sometimes over use Big Grim and as a result he may concentrate on some other characters for a while.
Excellent. I love the big bruisers, but the panel time could rewardingly be spread around to characters who've had less of it.
Originally posted by Bodycount
G1 getting a makeover and a new story...
Good.
Old trash belongs in the dumpster.
Beast Wars fan? Funny how older material was selected to underpin that. Or do you prefer the Armada kids?

There are a lot of retro-styled digital radios around these days, so a combi unit for Soundwave wouldn't be out of the question... assuming no-one can think of something more mobile connected with communication that would allow for smaller spy Decepticons.

Is minidisc also an anachronism by now?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

New modes? I might actually pick it up, then . . .
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

So classic G1 characters with new yet similar (perhaps) alt modes?

I'm cool with that. Alternators tie-in? That'd make my day.
barney
Protoform

Post by barney »

I'm fine with everything so far.
Originally posted by Osku
Simon also again confirmed no Spike and Sparkplug, nor would the new human kid be a mechanic. The kid will be younger than Spike, but no age bracket was mentioned. IDW, and Hasbro, are hoping that the comics 'fresh start' will pull in the next generation of Transformers fans, to keep the brand going into the future."
I'm fine with no Spike or Sparkplug too, but I sincerely hope that the kid isn't an annoying pipsqueak. If he is an annoyance, then here's hoping he gets squished by Bumblebee transforming with the little fella inside him! :cool: :laugh:
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

.but go ahead now and call me a "Gee wun fanboy wanker". I'm sure several of you would want to at this point...

*points at God Jinrai*

Sorry! And just kidding, by the way. I'm a certifiable G1 fangirl myself. :p

However, if the TF were, well, transforming for disguise...then it would make perfect sense to have them update thier forms to blend in here on Earth.

:)
Civ

Post by Civ »

Admittedly, I'm a bit weary of this new kid. He's going to be younger than Spike (I'm assuming cartoon Spike) and he's not going to be a mechanic, which is giving me horrendous flashbacks of me cringing to the likes of Rad, Carlos, Fred, and the other kid (Ralph?) from Armada. I hope IDW doesn't go down this route of what's been done in the past as far as human kids are concerned.
wreckie
Protoform

Post by wreckie »

Originally posted by Civ
Admittedly, I'm a bit weary of this new kid. He's going to be younger than Spike (I'm assuming cartoon Spike) and he's not going to be a mechanic, which is giving me horrendous flashbacks of me cringing to the likes of Rad, Carlos, Fred, and the other kid (Ralph?) from Armada. I hope IDW doesn't go down this route of what's been done in the past as far as human kids are concerned.

Of course he's going to be younger than Spike. Mr Witwicky would be in his mid 40's by now, which isn't their target demographic. ;) I'm betting the new character will be in late adolescence to early adulthood, around 17-21.

I'm also betting he wont think yellow wellies and a hard hat count as casualwear.

This reboot is WAY overdue. Dreamwave had the chance to do it, but didn't want to take the risk of alienating hardcore fans like us. But as Russell T Davies (Exec Producer of the new Doctor Who) said: "if you chase a cult, you just end up becoming a smaller cult."

Whether following the cartoon continuity, the Marvel comics continuity or Dreamwave's convoluted mixture of the two, you end up putting writers into a creative straightjacket. At some point in every long-running franchise, be it TV, film or comic book, you need to rid yourself of all the creative baggage that's weighing you down and find out exactly why the idea was a good one in the first place.

To switch metaphors, I imagine the trick will be to throw out the old bathwater but keep the baby safe and sound.