The biggest jerk in comics

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Who's ass in comics?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:48 pm

Todd McFarlane (apprantly the other creator other than Stan Lee that the press knows about)
69%
Marc Silvesti (The guy who runs Top Cow and is suing Michel Turner over Fathom)
No votes
Bill Jemas (Marvel's President the guy is an idoit)
23%
Mark Waid(I don't quit I get fired from just about everything except maybe the Flash)
No votes
Chris Clarmont(the only good thing he apparantly wrote was the Uncanny X-Men)
No votes
other
8%

Total votes: 13

Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

The biggest jerk in comics

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I would say for me its Jemas he's an ass
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm gonna say McFarlane, he's totally sold out. Apparently he's about to quit producing comics altogether and let Top Cow take over that. See http://www.tippingcows.com for details. Plus with all the bull**** over Miracleman with Gaiman he's rather unpopular with me at the moment.

Silvestri isn't an ass. He's just protecting himself, Turner sued Top Cow first. Here's the story the way I heard it:

Hang on tight, this one gets a bit confusing….Last weeks story of Michael Turner’s Aspen being held up because of a lawsuit with Top Cow was a bit inaccurate. Actually instead of Top Cow filing suit against Turner, it was the other way around. Since then, Top Cow has filed a lawsuit against Turner making the story a bit more correct. The original suit by Turner claimed Top Cow was illegally selling merchandise based on his creations and Turner supplied with his lawsuit invoices, ads and magazine articles attesting to that fact. Top Cow’s suit says that not only have they not created or sold any new merchandise based on Turner characters (everything had already been produced by the time the split happened), Turner signed away all rights and ownership of those characters to Top Cow several years ago anyway so Turner wouldn’t have a claim even if they had been selling new products. Top Cow produced lots of legal paperwork which showed that Turner did indeed assign all rights of his creations to Top Cow in perpetuity. Top Cow also says that Turners new characters were created while he was working for them so they own them as well. In addition,Top Cow says that contractually they also own his next creation, whatever it might be.

Also, Claremont isn't an ass, in the sense of being a jerk, he's just washed up. Like Byrne, ironically Byrne and Claremont are set to produce a JLA storyarc. The rest on that list are jerks but not as big as McFarlane if you ask me...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

I've been reading som interviews with some comics creators,who have been working with Todd McFarlane and he clearly doesn't give much respect to other people,so I vote for Todd McFarlane.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Gotta be McFarlane - He's built a small empire and now he's got a massive Ego that tells him he can do anything.
RBison
Protoform

Post by RBison »

I voted for McFarlane too.

One question though. What did Jemas do wrong? *dont kill me :)*
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by RBison
I voted for McFarlane too.

One question though. What did Jemas do wrong? *dont kill me :)*

Jemas is just arrogant, he's convinced that Marvel is the superior comic book company. Unfortunately he's got the sales figures to back up that claim...
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Well, that and the fact that, despite nobody caring about the Fantastic Four for years and years until Waid came on, firing the guy once it got popular again. Even worse is now Jemas apparently wants to make the F4 into a "suburban family life" book or some nonsense. Waid said it didn't play to his strengths, but agreed to do it, and was then fired anyway a day or two later so Jemas could take over and write it himself. Talk about worst boss in the world....

With that said, I'll go with McFarlane. He's become exactly the thing that Image Comics was created to rally against. It's amazing that the Gaiman thing actually got so far as to go to court and have to go to a jury. The guy's got way too much ego at this point.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

other: rob liefield.

he's got an ego that only someone like stan lee has the right to have (and even he doesn't thank you very much), yet doesn't have the accomplishments to back it up. the man's only created one or two original characters in his career.

oh, wow, you created deadpool. whoopee. one decent, original character out of a library of like two-hundred. that is simply amazing, rob.

rob liefield is a lying, egotistical prick with no talent.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Originally posted by fort_max
other: rob liefield.

oh, wow, you created deadpool. whoopee. one decent, original character out of a library of like two-hundred. that is simply amazing, rob.

rob liefield is a lying, egotistical prick with no talent.

Can't believe I forgot this guy. Bear in mind, liefield's deadpool wasn't that great either. IMO deadpool only came into his own once they gave him to other folks (like comic writing goddess gail simone).
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Bear in mind, liefield's deadpool wasn't that great either. IMO deadpool only came into his own once they gave him to other folks (like comic writing goddess gail simone).

just saying that he's the only original character he's ever really put out.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

To be fair to Waid he was taken off Captain America when he was doing a great job with him. The powers that be, mostly that dick head harris (Company plan, make every comic have a no1 every 2 years, company crossovers for no good reason every year), said they didn't like what he was doing (dispite it being mostly original and very good) and took him off. Cap was a top 15 comic for 2 years under Waid, Jurgens took over and Cap was dead by 50.

They did the same to Peter David on Hulk. Hulk was a top 15 comic for years, pretty hard to do with virtually no superstar artist attached, and the boss decided hulk didn't have enough character crossovers and fired David dispite him making Hulk the best long running comic at any mainstream comic company.
Hulk plunged out of the top 40 inside of a year and had to be relaunched :rolleyes:

Besides Bob Harris (Who by the way pushed Clairmont off X-men after issue 3) I'd vote Mcfarland. What he did to Gaiman (anybody got a link?) was discusting and he is clearly no comic creators friend.

EDIT: I remember the defining line in the Mcfarlane/Gaiman story was Mcfarlane told Gaiman "You can't sue. Basically I have too much money and could keep it tied uop in legal disputes and appeals untill you run out of cash". What a basterd.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Rob leifeld is very irritating. I remember when he started with New Mutants. Read his stuff, you'll see a trend. He creates charaters that have no background and very basic characterization. The only one who got a modicum of that is Cable, and he didn't get all his back story till long after leifeld left.

Even Deadpool had nothing but a flashy costume and a bad attiude. Wow and he the exact same as that guy from "Young Blood".

Sorry, it irritates me that one guy did alot of stuff in the marvel universe and expected others to clean it all up for him. He also gave the fans very little credit with intellegance
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

i wish to god i could find this one website.

they used to rip liefield a new one constantly. it was called "see below" and they loved articles with liefield. it was beautiful.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by fort_max
just saying that he's the only original character he's ever really put out.

Actually, Deadpool is a rather blatant knock-off of Deathstroke. Slade Wilson=Deathstroke, mercenary for hire. Wade Wilson=Deadpool, mercenary for hire. He gives his character a sense of humor and calls him different, pathetic.

You heard it here, Liefeld has never, NEVER, created anything even remotely original...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

OK, I'm reluctant to slag off waid myself, because Empire is bloody good.

As for liefield, yes, his characters are terrible to begin with, but other creators have salvaged quite a few of them over the years by adding a bit of characterisation. Oh, and marvel had to drop a lot of his stuff about a year ago because liefield was demanding huge royalties. Of course, that did mean deadpool changed to agent x, which might not be the best name, but was bloody good stuff while gail simone was on it.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

I was going to say that liefeld did create Cable and Strife and their feud and that was original. BUT - he didn't give it a back story or anything. That was all the other writers. Ah well.

I could always mention Erik Larson.........
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
I could always mention Erik Larson.........

Hey I like Erik Larsen...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Hound
Hey I like Erik Larsen...

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? :confused:

His drawing are disproportionate, I hate what he did to Venom, Savage Dragon was originally thought up as a Joke (supposed to be the Hulks son). That one cyborg character he created for Image was ugly. Need I go on?

LOL, I will admit he's better than Leifeld. And some of the other guys that Marvel and DC have working for them now.

Hey, anyone remember the name of the guy who closed out the moon night series in like '96 and then worked on a series called "Prophet" for image? I think it was Stephen Platt or something like that.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Actually, Deadpool is a rather blatant knock-off of Deathstroke. Slade Wilson=Deathstroke, mercenary for hire. Wade Wilson=Deadpool, mercenary for hire. He gives his character a sense of humor and calls him different, pathetic.

okay, never thought about it, but that is true. okay so liefield is completely unimaginative AND a douche. huzzah.
Hey, anyone remember the name of the guy who closed out the moon night series in like '96 and then worked on a series called "Prophet" for image? I think it was Stephen Platt or something like that.

i think that's his name.
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

Erik Larsen has lately been bashing John Byrne's and George Perez' artwork.