Hybrid Style THS-02 G1 Convoy in and out of packaging

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Cool.

Whats the story behind this then?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Takara want money. And for people to ignore the cab mode and flared sleeves.
Cyclone_X
Protoform

Post by Cyclone_X »

Originally posted by Denyer
Takara want money.

too bad, they wont get my money for this thing
BTFA, 2 year anniversary
chimung
Protoform

Post by chimung »

THIS is the Optimus Prime I've been waiting for them to make!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

You've been waiting for them to make an Optimus Prime with a truck mode that would look like this in real life?

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
chimung
Protoform

Post by chimung »

yeah! You got a problem with that?
edit: Besides, A new spin on an old character is much better then the 1000th repaint of overused molds! Yet alot of people here eat those things UP!
So if Takara wants to release something besides tired repaints more power TO THEM!
"Can you get this Vacuum cleaner to f*ck this cake?", Uncle Grandfather; Perfect Hair Forever
Rampage01
Protoform

Post by Rampage01 »

I'm not sure a more posable version of G1 Prime really counts as a new spin, especially since there have already been previous toys based around the same concept.

What do they mean by "Hybrid Style", anyway?
chimung
Protoform

Post by chimung »

Not sure what "Hybrid Style" means, but I know I want it one!
The Japanese make all kinds of silly phrases using English Words. like "Wow! Psycho!"
"Can you get this Vacuum cleaner to f*ck this cake?", Uncle Grandfather; Perfect Hair Forever
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I would love this thing...if it weren't so damned small. I'm really hoping the cab mode gets a really decent knock-off done out of it.

Otherwise, I'm out.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by chimung
yeah! You got a problem with that?

Yeah, I'd prefer the truck mode to look like a truck that could work in real life.
edit: Besides, A new spin on an old character is much better then the 1000th repaint of overused molds!

Alternators Optimus Prime is a new spin on old characters. Hopefully, the upcoming Classics Prime and the movie toy will be new spins on the character.

THS-02 is just the last in a number of attempts to do a new toy directly based off the G1 show character. And for whatever reason, Takara never manage to give those a decent truck mode.
thefallen1

Post by thefallen1 »

i for one can't wait ^_^ my first G1 styled Prime
chimung
Protoform

Post by chimung »

Masterpiece Prime looks like a real truck would, only problem is that he's big, and clunky. I want something small, and fun, but with simular detail! RM Optimus was close, but not quite fun enough, so I think THS-02 is a step in the right direction, and frankly I think the Alt Mode is badass! They took the Box-nosed cab, and gave it a streamlined look!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If by streamlined you mean "shrunk the wheels so that they couldn't take the weight of the cab" and "cut grooves into the sides".

RM Convoy doesn't have a great alt mode, but this thing is taking the piss -- and it's supposed to have been designed by Shoji Kawamori, who has a lot of experience with shape-changing robots.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

RM Convoy still has the worst robot mode, though...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

As a toy (rather than a collectible) it's streets ahead of 1984 Prime.
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

Originally posted by Nevermore
RM Convoy still has the worst robot mode, though...
I'd say he's still light years ahead of '84 G1 Optimus. ;)

He's also a wee bit better proportioned than HS G1 Convoy.

Out of the three modern G1 Primes RM Convoy is the one with the most bang for the buck IMO.
Ah...forget it!
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

RM Convoy doesn't have a great alt mode, but this thing is taking the piss -- and it's supposed to have been designed by Shoji Kawamori, who has a lot of experience with shape-changing robots.
To be fair, if Shoji was let loose on a MP or Binaltech sized design I think he could've done far better in terms of the alt mode.

In this case the bot mode took presedence over the alt mode.
Which is kind of understandable when you consider that '84 G1 Convoy is more geared towards an accurate alt mode.
Ah...forget it!
chimung
Protoform

Post by chimung »

If by streamlined you mean "shrunk the wheels so that they couldn't take the weight of the cab" and "cut grooves into the sides".

What does "taking the piss" mean?!
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

I think I like the original G1 Optimus Prime better than either the Hybrid Style or the Robot Masters. They're trying too hard to resemble the cartoon model for Prime at the expense of the truck mode.

All right, Hasbro and/or Takara/Tomy, since you undoubtedly would like to milk the G1 nostalgia for Prime as much as you can, here's my challenge to you. Produce a red and blue 1/36th scale Freightliner COE Dual Axle tractor trailer truck as if you were designing a downsized variant of Binaltech/Alternators, with a robot mode that's a hybrid of the cartoon model and the original toy (and stop trying to hide the front wheels when it's in robot mode; that'll make it work better). Matrix of Leadership, laser rifle, Energon axe, Combat Deck/trailer, and Roller included. In short, the original toy if it had been designed Alternators-style.
Plus, the 1/36th scale will allow for a less unwieldy recolor to white which will allow you to come up with a decent set of articulated armor/car carrier trailer for the inevitable Ultra Magnus.

Quoth chimung:
What does "taking the piss" mean?!
In this case, Denyer's opinion of Hybrid Convoy's truck mode is so low, we have to dig for it – from the bottom of the sewer.