Stupid people want to make Burning Cds,mps,DVD,video illigal!!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ultrasabre
Protoform

Stupid people want to make Burning Cds,mps,DVD,video illigal!!

Post by Ultrasabre »

This is absolute bull****!! I am mad!! I don't even have a comp yet! Watch this stupid law go through once I have my comp!!
Sign this petition to fight against it!!
http://www.stoppoliceware.org
My grandma Perfelia Gutierrez was Born June 6, 1928 and died March 14, 2002. RIP Grandma.
:(
My simpathy goes out to those who lost loved ones on 9-11-01.

Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

I love Canada :D
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

it IS illegal to make copies of things like that, unless you are converting your own collection to digital backups, and only then you're allowed one copy.

How can you stop someone making something illegal that already is.....
Ultrasabre
Protoform

Post by Ultrasabre »

Originally posted by Skywarp
it IS illegal to make copies of things like that, unless you are converting your own collection to digital backups, and only then you're allowed one copy.

Its ok to download and burn music, as long as you don't make a profitt off it.
My grandma Perfelia Gutierrez was Born June 6, 1928 and died March 14, 2002. RIP Grandma.

StoneCold Skywarp

Originally posted by Ultrasabre

Its ok to download and burn music, as long as you don't make a profitt off it.
That's the biggest load of bullsh*t I ever heard!!

It's not okay at all as it's completely against all copyrights on the cd.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Just because something can be morally justified doesn't change the fact that it's illegal.

Copyright laws prevent unauthorised duplication and distribution. No more comment needed.
Reverend Shrapnel

Post by Reverend Shrapnel »

Yeah...man, even taping things off the radio is illegal. I doubt that's enforced much...:D Know what I'm saying?
I've only just realised my sig's been horribly misspelled for about a year or two. Aren't you happy you read that? While you're here, erm, impeach Nixon!
Grandizer
Protoform

Post by Grandizer »

I have zero sympathy for record companies. it costs them something like 40 cents a cd to produce them all told, and they're charging $16 for them now. with all the free music you can get online now I view it as having been paid for by many years of outrageously ridiculous profits. you can argue that by doing so you're taking money out of the artist's pockets, but the record companies hold back most of the profits from them anyway. bands make most of their money off of concerts anyway.
Ultrasabre
Protoform

Post by Ultrasabre »

That's the biggest load of bullsh*t I ever heard!!

It's not okay at all as it's completely against all copyrights on the cd.
Hmm. then why did people make a CD burner then?? To record CD's of your own. To burn off all CD's. I know for a fact there isn't a problem with that as long as you don't make copies and go around selling them.

Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

You are allowed to have as many copies as you want, but only as back-ups or for educational purposes. Making copies to sell them is illegal.

It is also illegal for companies to prevent people from copying (copy-protection), because that limits that right.
ThunderCracker84

Post by ThunderCracker84 »

Hmm. then why did people make a CD burner then?? To record CD's of your own. To burn off all CD's. I know for a fact there isn't a problem with that as long as you don't make copies and go around selling them.
Simple, to make back up copies of your hard drive and other necessary computer files, not for media. People go around it all to make music CDs. Hell I do to. Read the copyright once in awhile, it says, like Brend and Warp already stated, Any duplication or distribution is ILLEGAL
Ultrasabre
Protoform

So your telling me...

Post by Ultrasabre »

That they used an illigal advertisement to sell CD burners? Haven't you guys seen the comercial where this guy has a Cd burner with two trays. One for the Cd you are going to burn, the other to burn it to. Why would they be allowed to make, and advertise it if it is illigal????????????

Jetfire

Re: So your telling me...

Post by Jetfire »

That they used an illigal advertisement to sell CD burners? Haven't you guys seen the comercial where this guy has a Cd burner with two trays. One for the Cd you are going to burn, the other to burn it to. Why would they be allowed to make, and advertise it if it is illigal????????????
But in the advert we can assume (I havent seen it, not being in america) that non of that partivular music was copyrighted and he was distrubuting it either thus no legal case could be made against the actuality of the advert. WHy do you think Napster was closed dwon ?(Ironcally crreating a wave of Napster copys and increasing the
Like Shrap said even recording a song off the radio is illegal. The technality is your allowed to make back up copies for your self if you allready own it.
StoneCold Skywarp

Re: So your telling me...

[quote]Originally posted by Ultrasabre
That they used an illigal advertisement to sell CD burners? Haven't you guys seen the comercial where this guy has a Cd burner with two trays. One for the Cd you are going to burn, the other to burn it to. Why would they be allowed to make, and advertise it if it is illigal???????????? [/QUOTE

Uhm, maybe you haven't read this thread, but as Thundercracker pointed out there, they're used for data back-up.

I know people with kids who make duplicate copies of educational cds, because their kids wreck the cds otherwise.

I make back ups of my important files all the time.

That's the point of CD burning, much like floppy disk before them
Ultrasabre
Protoform

Re: Re: So your telling me...

Post by Ultrasabre »

That they used an illigal advertisement to sell CD burners? Haven't you guys seen the comercial where this guy has a Cd burner with two trays. One for the Cd you are going to burn, the other to burn it to. Why would they be allowed to make, and advertise it if it is illigal???????????? [/QUOTE

Uhm, maybe you haven't read this thread, but as Thundercracker pointed out there, they're used for data back-up.

I know people with kids who make duplicate copies of educational cds, because their kids wreck the cds otherwise.

I make back ups of my important files all the time.

That's the point of CD burning, much like floppy disk before them
Umm maybe you didnt' read my post, or maybe I didn't make it clear enough. but He was using it to burn music for his girlfriend, NOT MAKE BACK UP COPIES OF DATA!!

Ultrasabre
Protoform

Re: Re: So your telling me...

Post by Ultrasabre »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1

But in the advert we can assume (I havent seen it, not being in america) that non of that partivular music was copyrighted and he was distrubuting it either thus no legal case could be made against the actuality of the advert. WHy do you think Napster was closed dwon ?(Ironcally crreating a wave of Napster copys and increasing the
Like Shrap said even recording a song off the radio is illegal. The technality is your allowed to make back up copies for your self if you allready own it.
Their was one commerical where this guy ran upstairs, logged onto a site that he can burn music from, burned his girls song, then ran downstairs and gave it to her. She put it in her car and played it. Phillips CD burner commercial

You know the other one. It is ok to burn music, as long as you don't go around selling the copies.

Denyer

Because...

Post by Denyer »

...what the DMCA aims to make illegal is not the copying, but circumvention of protection systems.. eg, They control what hardware you play your DVDs on, since CSS decryption had to be licensed. It took a major US court case to force them to back down, on the grounds of fair use which already exists in law. Then you have the Skylarov case. There are major rammifications for file-format compatibility. :(

Incidentally, did you know that the record industry gets a percentage of the sale price of CDRs in the UK? It's more popularly know that this is the case in Canada, but not many realise it about the UK.

edit: Incidentally, I'm strongly against people ripping from bands (especially small ones), without putting back into the system. ie, If I like a track or two of an album, and they're not released conveniently elsewhere, I'll buy a single (which I'll probably never listen to.) I won't buy a duff album for a couple of tracks.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

After skimming the article, I have one thing to say. I am more outraged at this point, than at the fact that I may not be able to download video/audio files anymore. I'm surprized that as of writing this, no one has made this point.

This "police wear" sounds like a vioation of privacy. It should fall under the rules of illegal search and seizure. This law would give them the right to search your computer without just cause. The police currently can't search you house or computer, without showing you a warrant. What gives them the right to place my computer under constant surveilance, when they don't have any information that would put me in suspicion of having those types of files on my computer.

The real question is how they are going to figure out that I've tampered with their little toy? Will the device be programmed to warn them if someone tampers with it? And what's this about people who chose to use Linux being prosecuted? If I choose to use that program, they can't do anything about it. That's a violation of my freedom of choice.

Everyday, it seems that we get closer to totalitarian rule, with those stupid Hollywood-types at the head. Why do we kiss their a$$es anyway? They don't give two sh*ts from a rat's a$$ about us. They are some of the most useless people in society. All they're usually good for is entertainment, but when you get to know them, they're a snobby group of pricks. There are only a few that are friendly.
Ulticron
Protoform

My theory and my thoughts on all this.

Post by Ulticron »

Ok first off i smell a rat behind this website. Sign the petition and you've just told either the gov or big biZ fat cats that you copy stuff illegally. This website is probably a bogus front thrown up by either big biZ fat cats or the gov to scare us into thinking all our lovely file sharing days an copying days are over. They lure you in and you sign a petition and BAM! they put you down on their list. So ignore it, that's the best thing to do.

Lemmie tell everyone a story, back in 97 when i had just started college a ULTRA MORAL, ANTI PIRACY instructor told us of how in the future most likely around 2000 that computers would have chips in them that would allow the government to monitor your everymove. The P3 had something similar to that in it, but who needs a Pentium when you can buy a machine that has a superior athlon in it? There will always be an underground where you can get this equipment, and there will always be "file sharing" Piracy was around in the 80's just as big and bold as it is now. Nothing changes, i remember the good ol days when my older brother had his Vic 20 and Commodore 64 *LOL* true by todays standards no one would wanna copy that stuff, but back then it was worth the effort, just as 20 yrs from now ppl will look at what we copied an consider it worthless junk. Coporate fat cats are greedy skum and if they feel they've lost 15 cents they'll B!+ch like crazy, it's a scare tatic from them, i say ignore it an it'll go away *LOL* but we never will go away, we'll be here in one form or another till the end of time :D
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I have a P3, but they haven't come after me yet. Oh, if they only knew the amount of vid files, mp3s, and warez I have or had on my computer, that law would throw me in the can for life, and put me in debt for 5 lifetimes.