Alternity Nissan Fairlady Z Megatron in two colors and Masterpiece Grimlock

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nevermore

Alternity Nissan Fairlady Z Megatron in two colors and Masterpiece Grimlock

Post by Nevermore »

Both from SG Collect.
http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.ph ... &p=1163381
Nissan Fairlady Z Megatron (Silver?)
Nissan Fairlady Z Megatron (Blue?)
http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.ph ... &p=1163379
Confirmed: MP-8 Grimlock 13000 Yen

ETA: March 2009
Grimlock seems quite pricey even for Masterpiece standards.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

No recolour value, see?

For that reason alone, I'll believe a Grimlock MP when we see it. Though TBH Binaltech has probably snapped up most of the repaintable characters - an MP Prowl, say, would probably be very much a retread.

I'm actually mildly surprised Takara are actually bothering with new moulds for either concept... Henkei seems to be doing much better for them than either of the 'premium' lines have done for a long time. But then I suppose they don't have Animated working well in concert as Hasbro have. Or other lines like etc. etc and so on.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Magnus had little value. Takara will probably get a Trypticon repaint out of a Grimlock.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Strangely, I wasn't thinking of Magnus... With Convoy, Takara can wheel that mould out for years - sure, if they want to they can add a gun or a trailer or that ****ing axe (One episode, people! For about five minutes! And he lost!) or a Matrix, but they can still just keeping putting that one out. Magnus was just a test of how stupid fans were (the answer being "pretty stupid, but not quite that stupid").

Trypticon? It'd need Mondo Resculptino (as the Welsh would say) to as not to look like Grimlock's evil brother, Kcolmirg.

It'd be nice if it was Grimlock, don't get me wrong, as I still think the character's owed a really good toy (The G1 one is good, aside from the tiny head)... I just remain skeptical regarding Takara throwing genuine money at a new MP mould.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not like Megs is an obvious candidate for mould reuse either, even if the seekers were.
I still think the character's owed a really good toy
The Animated one is the nearest modern one so far. Energon got a fairly decent bot mode piece, Classics got a fairly decent dino mode piece.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Strangely, I wasn't thinking of Magnus... With Convoy, Takara can wheel that mould out for years - sure, if they want to they can add a gun or a trailer or that ****ing axe (One episode, people! For about five minutes! And he lost!) or a Matrix, but they can still just keeping putting that one out. Magnus was just a test of how stupid fans were (the answer being "pretty stupid, but not quite that stupid").
I'm genuinely stunned we haven't seen a black version yet.

Black Convoy/Nemesis Prime is a great example of the "hey, it went down really well the first time we did it, so let's just recycle the idea ad infinitum until people latch on" mentality that seems to have existed in the franchise for most of this decade (cf Megatron becoming Galvatron three times in the same continuity, Constant Unicron, endless Minicon recolours, everything eHobby have produced, most of Binaltech... hell, even Animated is essentially a Greatest Hits Remixed album)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:Not like Megs is an obvious candidate for mould reuse either, even if the seekers were.
No, but he's a genuinely well-known character, one of the few. And like Convoy (albeit to a lesser extent) he can be wheeled out again and again whenever something sparks a domestic interest in G1. It's possible Takara will treat MP like Bandai treat Soul of Chogokin, with the most popular characters reissued every couple of years - maybe with some changes, maybe not.

I remember hearing somewhere the Dinobots weren't particularly popular (they only got cartoon continuity stuff, after all) in Japan... Not sure whether that's bollocks, or just someone grasping at strwas as to the lack of reissues before everyone started realising Takara had only bothered taking care of half of the moulds.

EDIT: And Binaltech, for me, is the ultimate indication of Takara not knowing when to stop... If the line had been six unique figures, it'd be unforgettable. As it was, things got strung out, 'new' moulds were only slight variations (Subaru and Mazda, for example), there were some really pathetic choices in there and hardly anyone cared by the end.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Nevermore wrote:Grimlock seems quite pricey even for Masterpiece standards.
He might just be stonking huge. Cartoon "scale" and all that...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

BBTS is now listing Masterpiece Grimlock for preorder.
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Aside from some of the fanmade things in BT, I was always hoping Brawn would have gotten his own toy. I think Prime's mold would have done Brawn more justice then given Prime a much better mold, or just leave the MP Prime as the BT Prime. I have both of course, and find MP Prime as the more fun of the two. Even though I liked some of the same mold characters, the Mazdas weren't too shabby but the Corvettes were horrible in terms of poseability. If anything Tracks deserved a better mold than a Corvette.. The S2000 in terms of poseability was the best mold for that time, it's a shame they didn't take that idea of the poseability and then use it on the others that were lacking in that department.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Nevermore

Firts look at Masterpiece Grimlock prototype!

Post by Nevermore »

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Nifty.

Looks to have the basic mechanics of the original, tweaked for dynamic poseability and proportions. Doubtless with some completely unnecessary complications just to annoy people.

I kinda want.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yay Dinobot. :)

Boo Dinobot. :(
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

According to TFW2005, Grimlock has a "waiter mode" included, comes with a "brainwave transport" device, and both dinosaur and robot mode can change eye colours.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Nevermore wrote:According to TFW2005, Grimlock has a "waiter mode" included, comes with a "brainwave transport" device, and both dinosaur and robot mode can change eye colours.
I suddenly don't want it anymore.

And want to kill everybody involved.

IT SHOULD HAVE A CROWN.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

No, it should come with Swoop, Slag, Sludge and Snarl. ;)

WTF is a 'waiter mode'?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Halfshell wrote: IT SHOULD HAVE A CROWN.
Hmm, a torture device to place Blaster in would be a lovely addition. Better than that silly brainwave-transport-thingy, anyway.

At any rate, from what I can make out, Grimlock doesn't look too shabby to me. Not sure if I am interested yet though, it still looks a like a highly articulated version of the G1 figure. Not that its' a bad thing of course, the original figure, I felt, was earlier transforming toy technology at one of its' better moments.

And still no coloured images for Ratchet, from Hasbro or Takara.

Boo :(
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »