Cut from "Head Masters and Combinors"

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Chaotic_Cannon
Protoform

Cut from "Head Masters and Combinors"

Post by Chaotic_Cannon »

Hi people,

All my transformers are in storage but I do have 2 headmasters from what I can remember.

I loved them and interested to know where I might be able to get more today.

Also, where I can find some combiners? I have the constructions. I have the main body of bruticus, and I have 1 part of ..... oh snap ... errrrr ... what's his name with all the autobot rescue vehicles.

What I really want is the BEST and coolest looking combinor of them all.... and some head masters. -- or at least see where I can get them and for what price.

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bowspearer

Post by bowspearer »

eBay and bring your wallet ;) :p
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

The Autobot Rescue Vehicle one is probably Defensor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

As far as G1 stuff you are somewhat limited to Ebay, yard sales/swap meets, and the occasional online toy stores such as BBTS and a few others also stock some vintage figures. Your best bet money wise is usually going to be Ebay, unless you just get lucky and come across some stuff at a yard sale/swap meet.

You also have the various different TF forums such as this one, which many times have a trade/sale section as well. As far as prices and what you should expect to pay, that depends greatly in what you want, and what condition you will settle for. A quick glance of completed auctions on Ebay can give you a good idea of what to expect.
bowspearer

Post by bowspearer »

Ackula wrote:As far as prices and what you should expect to pay, that depends greatly in what you want, and what condition you will settle for. A quick glance of completed auctions on Ebay can give you a good idea of what to expect.
Theoretically anyway. At the risk of being the voice of doom and gloom; the practical reality is that the moment a headmaster comes with their head, a targetmaster comes with their gun and a powermaster comes with their engine, expect to pay top dollar. Sometimes, you'll get lucky, but those times are the exception and not the rule.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

My reputation can't get any worse anyway, so I'm gonna agree with Bowspearer. The little 'master' figures are what drivve up the price, since they're easy to lose over the years.

I'd try for a trade in one of the forums. Not sure if i'm allowed to name the forums in question, though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bowspearer

Post by bowspearer »

Treadshot A1 wrote:My reputation can't get any worse anyway, so I'm gonna agree with Bowspearer.

LOL thanks, really feeling the love on that one :p
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Treadshot A1 wrote:My reputation can't get any worse anyway, so I'm gonna agree with Bowspearer.
Comments like that aren't constructive in the slightest.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Treadshot A1 wrote:My reputation can't get any worse anyway
There's always more down.

Though you could try improving it by not being a cock.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Combiners: For now, the G1 stuff are pretty much eBay. For more cheaper combiners, you can try the Energon combiners, Classics Devastator repaint or the recent Universe Bruticus and Superion. (see the reviews I did. More self promotion... :p) Telemocha have reissued two parts of Tripredacus, while Japan has reissued Predaking.

Masters: Headmasters... M'eh, Universe has no Headmasters yet. Aside from G1, there are: Armada Sideways, Armada Overload/Energon Ultra Magnus, though I haven't really seen their toys, so I have no idea what they look like. Targetmasters: Universe Cyclonus. Perfect toy. Buy him, he's affordable. Powermasters: .... No idea.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Warcry wrote:Comments like that aren't constructive in the slightest.
Halfshell wrote:There's always more down.

Though you could try improving it by not being a cock.
Um, yeah. These comments just show how desperate you two really are. Instead of the logical, you just take things out of context and then try to make it sound like i'm the idiot around here. Sorry for being so harsh to Warcry, i'm sure he only meant to help the thread.

I don't think there have been any powermasters since G1. Targetmasters...are there any more TRU commemorative editions Rigochets/Steppers lying around near you? Otherwise, you're stuck with ebay for G1, and Universe for Cyclonus. Cyclonus' Targetmaster is awesome. :up:

I personally have Armada Overload, and i really consider him to be a mediocre figure. He's one of the better offerings from Armada, though that's not at all hard. The only problem is he's not totally a headmaster, as his big body can't turn into a vehicle either, without Rollout.

Armada Sideways is also mediocre imo, though he does pull off the gimmick decently. As a bonus, he has two headmasters, and they combine!

For real Headmaster fun, i say Energon Omega Supreme. That's really a headmaster. Albeit slightly better for display than play, due to his size.

There's always Car Robots Brave Maximus, if you're willing to pay the massive price, though he'll have to be found on Ebay most likely.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Um, yeah. These comments just show how desperate you two really are. Instead of the logical, you just take things out of context and then try to make it sound like i'm the idiot around here.
Halfshell's comment was about as uncalled for as the swipe you took at bowspearer that he was responding to.

If you don't like what he (or anyone else) has to say, that's why we have the "Report Post" button. Please don't derail the thread trying to call the staff out over it.

On topic, I hadn't realized just how many Headmaster-esque figures had been released over the last few years.

I would nominate Armada Wheeljack as a Powermaster, at least insofar as the toy gimmick goes. He's designed so that you can't transform him fully without his partner (although there are workarounds, the same goes for the G1 Powermaster toys), which is more or less what the selling point of the original PM toys was (if not the fictional one).
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Oh, never noticed the button. Fair enough. I wasn't trying to take a swipe at bowspearer, but sorry if i came off sounding like i did.

Back on topic...

Can i recommend the RiD combiner Rail Racer? Awesome Gestalt, and pretty decent individuals. Not to mention he won't set you back the world to get him.

I stand corrected. There have been 'powermasters' of sorts. In which case, would Armada Blurr count? As his third mode cannot/shouldn't be gotten to without his minicon partner. We're talking bout a whole mode here. :D

I do think i have to mention armada hot shot here, just because he literally comes with an engine!!! You can't get more powermaster-esque than an engine that activates driving claws. Albeit the engine doesn't transform. I should clarify i mean the Armada version, not the universe armada series version.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

I don't have any true Headmasters (Energon Omega Supreme doesn't count), so I can't recommend any, other than Fortress Maximus, whom you can expect to pay an arm and a leg for. But I will recommend Universe Cyclonus with Targetmaster Nightstick. It's a great update.

As for combiners, your best bet is Ebay. TakaraTomy is releasing a Bruticus reissue set, if they haven't already done so. The easiest combiners to get will be the Energon "Powerlinx" combiners' repaints for Universe/ROTF (Superion, Bruticus Maximus). As far as cool goes, RiD Rail Racer and Omega Prime, as well as BW Magnaboss and Tripredacus are top notch. But, that's just me.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Warcry wrote:I would nominate Armada Wheeljack as a Powermaster, at least insofar as the toy gimmick goes. He's designed so that you can't transform him fully without his partner (although there are workarounds, the same goes for the G1 Powermaster toys), which is more or less what the selling point of the original PM toys was (if not the fictional one).
I just got the Japanese version of this figure a few days ago, Rampage, and you are exactly right! That was one of my first thought upon transforming him. I had no instructions to go off of, so it took me a minute to realize I had to powerlink the minicon to get the transformation started. I found that to be a rather cool gimmick that certainly did remind me of powermasters. Shame the minicon wasn't made to look like an engine though :down:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

If Wheeljack had been 25% smaller, he'd be a great figure, but like most of Armada, the toy just ended up so oversized and clunky. Still probably the best thing from the line, though (Supercon Prime's alt mode is rubbish).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Mmm. ML Rampage was lovely, though (like most of the line - barring Minicons, of course) far too large for the design.
you just take things out of context and then try to make it sound like i'm the idiot around here
I don't have to take a damn thing out of context to try and make you look like an idiot. You are an idiot and you illustrate it every single time you post.

You said your reputation can't get worse - I corrected you. It can always get worse. And then I suggested that you could improve it by not acting like a cock (which is what you were doing by suggesting that agreeing with bowspearer isn't necessarily sensible).

So how do you respond? With your usual irrational "it's not me guv, it's you" schtick.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

*sigh* EDIT: {text removed}-Treadshot A1 doesn't wish to derail thread, thanks. If this needs to continue, i'd prefer it in pm, please. I'm sick of being targeted like this.

Now, on topic, i agree that Rampage, or Wheeljack, should have been smaller, as i think he ended up as a kinda, um, brick of sorts. Not in a he can't move way, but in a it's lots of way too big bricks connected by few joints kinda way. A scout version would have been perfect.

I personally have to say that i really have problems with the predaking set. I personally don't like the way the combiner hands attach, and i've had mine fall over too many times. Maybe i just have problems on mine, like a one off case, but the hand thing is definitely something i don't like about the mold.

Oh, i forgot. Go hunt down some of the Armada minicons. Some (off the top of my head, Terradive, Prowl, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel) turn into weapons, vehicles and robots. A bit far fetched, the weapons, but that's pretty close if you ask me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Oh, i forgot. Go hunt down some of the Armada minicons. Some (off the top of my head, Terradive, Prowl, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel) turn into weapons, vehicles and robots. A bit far fetched, the weapons, but that's pretty close if you ask me.
What was that one minicon that came with Supercon Prime again? That thing was fun as hell.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

The rocket was Over-run, the car was Sparkplug. (Sorry, i'm not familiar with Armad's size classes)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]