How do you drink sake?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

How do you drink sake?

Post by Sir Auros »

Went to a Japanese restaurant tonight and had my first experience with sake. I drank it as I would from a shot glass since the glasses it comes in are that size. Was that incorrect? Should it have been sipped instead of downed?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Who cares, was it any good?

I've never had it, though I'd like to try it.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

My guess...from the bottle. :p
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Hound
Who cares, was it any good?

I've never had it, though I'd like to try it.

It was ok. I'm no connoisseur, but it tasted almost as inoffensive as vodka.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

It tastes kinda like a warm white wine. Not really a fan of it, but it was interesting for novelty value.
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

Those little porcelain thimble cups (o-choko) are made for slamming down like tequila shots, which is why you rarely see them in restaurants; a perfectly ordinary glass is a much better tool for slowly savouring your sake.
(link)

You got it in a restaurant and in a thimble cup, so I guess you did the right thing.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Dude, take some sake bombs! Those are so damn good. Basically, pour a half bottle of Sapporo (or whatever other Japansese beers they have there) and drop a shot of sake in it and chug it down. Freakin' great!
Kyo28
Protoform

Post by Kyo28 »

I think you're supposed to sip it, not gulp it down at once. Then again, I never drink alcohol, so I can't give first-hand experience.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Dude, take some sake bombs! Those are so damn good. Basically, pour a half bottle of Sapporo (or whatever other Japansese beers they have there) and drop a shot of sake in it and chug it down. Freakin' great!

Ever heard of a flying raindear?

Neither had I until a bloke asked for one in Northampton. What you need is a can of red bull, two shots of Jeagermeister and two half pint pots.

Split the red bull equally, then drop in the Jeager. Never had it, and never want too either.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Depends what kind of sake it is, I think -- if it was served chilled and in shot glasses, chances are the restaurant was quite American and it was for downing.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Lord Zarak
Ever heard of a flying raindear?

Neither had I until a bloke asked for one in Northampton. What you need is a can of red bull, two shots of Jeagermeister and two half pint pots.

Split the red bull equally, then drop in the Jeager. Never had it, and never want too either.

Over here we call those Jaegerbombs. Quite tasty, actually, even if you feel like picking a fight with the police after downing a couple of them.

As for sake, I've never sipped it, just gulped it. Of course, some people call me an alcoholic, but that's neither here or there.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron

Yeah Sake Bomb is da bomb!
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

I prefer sipping sake, though it is not my favorite drink by any means. Also they say always drink it warm. Never tried it cold my self but according to one of my friends it is good cold. I can not vouch for that of course.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Its kinda foul cold. Sipping or downing both seem to be ok in practice in Japan, though that may just depend on the company you keep.
Sades

Post by Sades »

A friend of mine gave me some sake when I was visiting him and his fiancee last Halloween... from what I remember, it was served room tempurature, wasn't unpleasant [was quite the novelty for me, actually], and I sipped.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

Originally posted by angloconvoy
Its kinda foul cold.
Thanks for letting me know that friend of mine has been known to pull that kind of trick before and I was not sure until now.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I have better confirmation on this now, in polite company, you should sip it. Room temp is fine, but if its at all chilled its not so nice. If you like sake you should try shochou (I may have spelled that wrong)¡@its kind of similar, but a damn site stronger. Oh, and hi everybody! I`m still alive, and still a little confused with japanese keyboards.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by angloconvoy
Oh, and hi everybody! I`m still alive
Yay! I was going to email you last week, but forgot. :(

Can't you just plug the computer directly into your brain over there, or something?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Unfortunately not on my salary, until I got a promotion last week I didn`t even have enough to pay for a net connection. I might be able to get one now, or I might just keep using my girlfriend`s, like I am now. I found a few places that have massive massive varieties of tfs, including almost all of the cheetors I don`t have yet. Haven`t bought anything yet cos its kinda nice to be able to, y`know, eat. Might not last much longer though.