[JTF] What happened to Convoy between Battlestars and Beast Wars?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
DrSpengler
Protoform

What happened to Convoy between Battlestars and Beast Wars?

Post by DrSpengler »

Okay, we all know that Optimus (Convoy, whatever) was ressurected in Battlestars and succesfully killed Megatron as well as Dark Nova, a minion of Unicron.

And then in Beast Wars we are introduced to Convoy. The first season beats around the bush and his appearance in BEast Wars II the movie IMPLIES that he might be the original Convoy. However, when Beast Wars Metals comes around we find out that he isn't the original Convoy.

So that leads me to the question at hand.

Where's Convoy?

Perhaps he became head of the Convoy Council (Maximal Elders)? They certainly resmeble him a great deal. However, if that were the case, then he'd have been killed by Unicron at the end of Beast Wars Neo...and in a wimpy fashion at that.

So I take it that the new and improved, virtually invincible, Star Convoy died at some point druing the three hundred years between Battlestars and Beast Wars.

Weren't those peaceful times? What could have killed him? Did he choke on steak?
Cyberman

Re: What happened to Convoy between Battlestars and Beast Wars?

Post by Cyberman »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
...as well as Dark Nova, a minion of Unicron.

? A minion of Unicron? I thought Dark Nova had nothing to do with Unicron?
(I didn´t see anything of the japanese series, let alone the comics, so I can only draw upon what I read).
[BAnd then in Beast Wars we are introduced to Convoy. The first season beats around the bush and his appearance in BEast Wars II the movie IMPLIES that he might be the original Convoy. However, when Beast Wars Metals comes around we find out that he isn't the original Convoy.

So that leads me to the question at hand.

Where's Convoy?
...So I take it that the new and improved, virtually invincible, Star Convoy died at some point druing the three hundred years between Battlestars and Beast Wars.
...[/B]

I haven´t yet seen Beast Wars, but why shouldn´t he be the one? From what I´ve read I know that at one point the one we know as Primal takes the spark of Prime. Maybe they were the same, but the spark somehow changed, so it´s different?
A weak comparison would be the human body - your body today and the one in ten years probably aren´t related anymore at all, because most cells will have been replaced.

As for death, maybe he didn´t die, but maybe he simply grew too old for fighting. Like Kup in the (UK?) comics.
After all, Prime would have lived through quite some time of fighting, and having killed what would be the most dangerous threath of his time(Megatron and later reincarnations), he might have seen fit to return into the matrix. Or whatever a Transformer does in that case.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ya could ask the same question of 90% of the central cast of the Japanese series....
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

or the really big question that I have

If BW is a continuation of Both the american and Japanese continuities (and we won't get into the problems there)

How did they get Cybertron back? Didn't it get blown up in Masterforce?

Better yet Where are all the big characters?

Trust me, if it's a continuation of Japanese continuity - then how did the oracle and Plasma Energy chamber survive to be used for Beast Machines?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Beast Machines isn't part of the Japanese continuity... is it actually known that JBW actually takes place in the same universe as the 85-92 stuff though?
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Does the Japanese Manga\Anime ever explain "a new Cybertron"?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Not that I know of, but then I care little for the Japanese BW stuff, so I probably wouldn't...but I've seen the "BWII/Neo : does it count?" several times over the last year or so, and no-one's bought up anything definitive. Hydra?
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

I mean even in Battlestars\Operation combination? Is there a cybertron in those story lines?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, there are loads of them - Star Convoy, Guard City, Sixliner, Sixturbo, Sixtrain, Sky Garry, Fat Bastard... ;)

There's no Seibertron, though, AFAIK
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

ok ok, you know what I ment :p

So somewhere between operation combination and BW we lose star convoy, get a new "Seibertron" (there, is that better? :p), the creation of "convoy class" transformers and the great maximal upgrade

and nothing covers this?
Osku
Protoform

Re: What happened to Convoy between Battlestars and Beast Wars?

Post by Osku »

Darn newbies taking the thread off topic. ;)
So I take it that the new and improved, virtually invincible, Star Convoy died at some point druing the three hundred years between Battlestars and Beast Wars.

Weren't those peaceful times? What could have killed him? Did he choke on steak?
In the between Battlestars and BW there was (acconrding to Hydra´s TV magazine translations) G2. G2 magazines are available here
http://www.tfcyberbon.com/tf_index.html

In the end Convoy needs help leaving the battlefield after a decisive battle with Megatron. But still, it´s one of those "where did they go" things that japanese continuity is full of?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, the G2 stuff is more of a sequel to Op:com than any kind of prelude to BW... mind, most of the stuff like downsizing was barely touched on in the States as well...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Is there anything that really gets into the down sizing? at least in North Am?

Even if G2 is a continuation
why does the All powerful Star Convoy change into laser or hero op and essentally become weaker? let alone a really weak maximal?

And where did he go to change like that?

(see I can keep things on topic:p) ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Is there anything that really gets into the down sizing? at least in North Am?
It's actually explicictly mentioned by Roadhandler in US #54.
Even if G2 is a continuation
why does the All powerful Star Convoy change into laser or hero op and essentally become weaker? let alone a really weak maximal?

And where did he go to change like that?
Well, it could possibly be to save energy - the Star Convoy body was pretty huge, and one would suspect inefficent against a smaller threat like plain ol' Destrons as opposed to whatever the Hell Dark Nova was [apart from very stupid, and from what sounds like the most ridiculous and repetitive TF storyline ever]. As for where, well, the Cybertrons clearly show the ability to be rebuilt - viz God Ginrai getting converting into Ultra Razorclaw [or something]. Sometimes in the Japanese stuff, things just happen and you just kinda accept it - the "rules" are slightly different to the US cartoon and comic, the storytelling style is different.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Standard Anime stuff then, just accept and move on. I can handle that :D

But as for Star Convoy - They'd already said in Zone that they've found a newer better form of energon, and with the Transformers ability to convert regular energy into energon, then it doesn't seem plosable in peace time that energy would be restrictive.

As for the threats I can see that reason yes. But to a point. If you've eliminated all your threats, then you don't need the arms build up. But should some unknown giant planet eating monster come out of nowhere and get into your planetary orbit with out you knowing then you may just want to keep some big guns around to deal with it. I mean in the J-tf's there's wierd monsters and more evil emperors of distruction that anyone knows about.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Whoah.

This thread's going all over the place.
? A minion of Unicron? I thought Dark Nova had nothing to do with Unicron?
(I didn´t see anything of the japanese series, let alone the comics, so I can only draw upon what I read).
Various art for Battlestars shows Unicron overlooking various events from the manga. As far as the manga itself goes, Unicron never really appeared (he doesn't make his big comeback until BWNeo). However, it does explain where Dark Nova came from and how he got so much power. As we all know, all spawns of Unicron have emmense power which they draw from the Angromois energy of their disabled master (Blentrons were stronger than Big Convoy and Magmatron, Dark Nova had the ability to ressurect Megatron, the nebulous Vok aliens are hinted as being minions of Unicron).

But Dark Nova is beside the point.
But as for Star Convoy - They'd already said in Zone that they've found a newer better form of energon, and with the Transformers ability to convert regular energy into energon, then it doesn't seem plosable in peace time that energy would be restrictive.
True, they discovered Energon Z but that still doesn't solve all their energy issues that they've had since the very first episode of Generation 1. Most likely they realised that their gigantic bodies are what caused their energy crisis. As BW Megatron called them "Archaic energon guzzlers". So they downsized to conserve energy and alongside the new Energon Z all their power problems have been solved.

But energy is beside the point.
Does the Japanese Manga\Anime ever explain "a new Cybertron"?
Nope. But they more than likely just rebuilt Cybertron. The planet itself didn't get completely obliterated when it detinated in Headmasters. huge sections of it were still floating around. On top of that all they really did was blast off the Cybernetic parts and leave Cybertron's organic core (as seen in "Desertion of the Dinobots", forget about Beast Machines, it doens't count). So since they didn't blow the planet up from the core all they really did was make the parts the Quintessons built fall off.

Even if they didn't rebuild Cybertron from the core the Japanese shows make it clear that the Autobots have the technology to construct homeplanets wherever they want. "Master", "Micro" and "Zone" were all planets built by the Autbots which resembled Cybertron.

As far as Vector Sigma coming back in Beast Wars after it got blown up in Headmasters, you have to remember that Sigma is just the voice of the Matrix Zone (Transformer heaven or Nirvana or whatever). It just a gateway to the Matrix Zone, that's why new Transformers require Vector Sigma, because it draws sparks from the Matrix Zone and give them to the bodies. The Autobot/Decepticon Matrixes of Leadership are directly connected to Vector Sigma (as seen in BWNeo) and allow the Supreme Commander/Emperor of Destruction to draw sparks from the Matrix Zone and create new troops (hence the term "Creation Matrix").

But Cybertron and the Matrix are not the point.
Ya could ask the same question of 90% of the central cast of the Japanese series....
Well....I suppose that's the best answer I'm gonna get...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

:D
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Best officially sanctioned one anyway... it's a minor bubear of mine that the Headmasters central cast barely appear in Masterforce [Chromedome on a screen in one ep, innit?], the MF ones hardly in Victory [a Minerva cameo and the God Ginrai thing], and most of the Victory ones are missing from Zone... I know they all probably go wherever Rodimus Convoy pisses off to when his toy vanished from the shelves, but it's just annoying that they spend ~30 episodes building these guys up, and then generally they're just discarded for the new toys... Even Season 3 and Rebirth held over a realistic amount of characters.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

But season 2-3 of G1 had low roll over

let alone Beast Wars with passing mentions and alot of deactivated bots

as for the energy crisis: I can understand Cybertron (seibertron) having energy problems, not orbiting a sun, no real satilittes, no sourse of energy. But as Megs figures out on earth, there's an abundance of energy. The Autobots (cybertrons) on earth could have set up solar collectors on mars or something and gotten all the free energon they wanted, let alone one of the billions of stars in the milky way that's uninhabited.
Hydra Custom
Protoform

Post by Hydra Custom »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Not that I know of, but then I care little for the Japanese BW stuff, so I probably wouldn't...but I've seen the "BWII/Neo : does it count?" several times over the last year or so, and no-one's bought up anything definitive. Hydra?

Actually, there was action back on Cybertron as soon as Battlestars and G-2, so no need to even worry about Beast Wars. Presumably, repairs have been constructed on the planet between HM and Battlestars, which is a number of years at least. It was not specifically explained, but since the focus of th series was not on that planet (but other planets, like V, which is probably where Rodimus established teh new base) it wasn't really a big thing.

And yeah, it has been specifically confirmed that all BW series tie to G1.

As for Dark Nova, he has nothing to do with Unicron, nor does Devil Z, Violenjiger, Scrash, etc.

-Hydra
Visit www.tfcyberbon.com , the premiere site for JTF obscura!

Contact me to trade TV Magazines, Comic Bom-Bom, or pencilboards!