Did Starscream just get a bad rap?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
axio
Protoform

Did Starscream just get a bad rap?

Post by axio »

Admit it, the majority of people dislike/loathe the poor sap. Was he just an annoying bot and you cheered when he was blown to bits? Or was he the god of TF's who accomplished more than Megs ever would have?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Accomplished? The only thing he accomplished was becoming a corpse...

Anyway, I don't see that he ever got a bad rap. He's way too popular for that. I don't loathe the character, he could've been awesome, he could've actually been a threat to Megatron's leadership at some point before the movie. He could've been a threat to the Autobots at any point in the comic or cartoon but he wasn't. He could've been better but he was what he was and at the time he was as cool as any other character...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

Damn right he got a bad rap...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Huh? The only bad rap Starscream's ever gotten has been from being the sick object of a certain someone's sexual attention. Other than that, I'd always thought he was an extremely popular character who just wasn't written very well in the cartoon or in the comics I've read.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Starscream gets laughed because of his voice. Well tough one, he had a peculiar one, but tell me if Cobra Commander from G.I.Joe is consider gay because of Latta's voice? Probably not.

Starscream gets laughed because he was coward. He wasn't exactly coward, he was a cunning guy who always done what was best of him at the moment. This includes begging for his life and running when he couldn't win. He's a bad guy after all, not some honourable hero.

I assume LT lists characters who got bad rap because of cartoon, cause none of beforementioned was lame in comics (maybe except Wheelie, he sucks everywhere ;) ). In comics Starscream got two great moments, when he gained power of Underbase, and when he stole Matrix and merged with War-World. He gained those after great cunning plans (especially in Underbase Saga when he pooled everyone). In cartoon his two best acomplishments were what, he was a leader in Movie for 15 minutes, and was a leader in 'Starscream's Brigade' for 15 seconds. I blame the authors who couldn't show him in a better way, and the fact that cartoon was targeted in younger audience (compared to comic readers) and simply Starscream couldn't trash half of Transformers in one episodes wiht Underbase.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

Starscream was the frikkin' decepticon air commander. Handled well (and indeed, with a better voice) he could've been awesome. What he did in the Underbase saga was a good example on what Screamer should've been like all along. Sadly, in the cartoon it was mostly like this:

Megatron falls.
Starscream: "Megatron has fallen. I, Starscream, am now the new leader of the decepticons.
In the next scene either:
"Decepticons retreat!"
or:
Megatron rises and shoots Starscream.
Thanks D!
Hound

Post by Hound »

What annoyed me was that Starscream would declare himself leader over the slightest things.

*Megatron trips over raised branch*

Starscream, "Megatron has fallen. I, Starscream am now your leader..."
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by Hound

*Megatron trips over raised branch*

Starscream, "Megatron has fallen. I, Starscream am now your leader..."

Very true, Hound! LOL Though I find it amusing rather than annoying. It's almost like a "running gag" - Megatron goes to the bathroom for five minutes - well, TFs don't have to go to the bathroom, but he goes out of the room for 5 minutes, and Starscream immediately goes like, "Megatron is gone! Now I am the leader of the Decepticons!" in that screechy voice of his. *hehe*
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

See, as others have said, Starscream doens't get a bad rep - it's just his execution in the cartoon that gets slated. He's not a hated character, but you've got to admit seasons 1 & 2 make him look stupid, as they make practically everyone look. Sure, he had a few good lines and the occasional stupid idea, but 99% of th time he was abysmally written...

In the comics he was generally ignored for most lengths of time, though it showed how well written his character could be for the last dozen US issues, G2, Target: 2006, Earthforce...
E Nice
Protoform

Post by E Nice »

Old, I know, but it fits again for here.

http://www.2005boards.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679
Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I liked him in the comics. He was conniving, and he waited until just the right time to make his move.
schomburg2002
Protoform

Post by schomburg2002 »

Originally posted by Arcee
Very true, Hound! LOL Though I find it amusing rather than annoying. It's almost like a "running gag" - Megatron goes to the bathroom for five minutes - well, TFs don't have to go to the bathroom, but he goes out of the room for 5 minutes, and Starscream immediately goes like, "Megatron is gone! Now I am the leader of the Decepticons!" in that screechy voice of his. *hehe*

Cars have to have their oil changed every now and then, why can't a Transformer drain his oil?
schomburg2002
Protoform

Post by schomburg2002 »

Starscream is actually my favorite Transformer of all time, why? because he was funny, evil, and he always seemed to the be the underdog when it came to being the leader of The Decepticons, even when he was leader for an episode and part of the movie, he still didn't have a chance at being a good leader, not because he wasn't, but because his chances were slim to known of a completed mission before Megatron would come back and screw everything up.

Also, Starscream was a scientist and deranged, it's like Hannibal Lecter with a scratchy voice, smart and sadistic.

Starscream also has a Cartman like characteristic, he's always whining about how the other Decepticons dislike him and his actions.
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

Oh, and don't forget the whole "indestructible ghost" thing. Starscream may have been overconfident at times, but he was really damn smooth to have known how to that particular options package was available from his manufacturer...

Hell, that's the perfect application of Evil Overlord Lists's Rule Number 230 - "I will not procrastinate regarding
any ritual granting immortality." A true indication of worthiness as very few ever get that one right.
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Originally posted by Silly Cow
Handled well (and indeed, with a better voice) he could've been awesome
what are you talking about, starscream's voice was part of the package that made him a class act, it actually fits nicely with his name and it's still way classier than the voice of the current armada starscream.

as for being handled better, i agree. they should have let him have more time as leader of the decepticons, 41 seconds is hardly long enough to prove yourself. but then, i suppose the movie was all about executing important characters quickly
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
what are you talking about, starscream's voice was part of the package that made him a class act, it actually fits nicely with his name and it's still way classier than the voice of the current armada starscream.
It doesn't excatly give an impression of a ruthless warrior who should be taken seriously.
Thanks D!
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Originally posted by schomburg2002

Starscream also has a Cartman like characteristic, he's always whining about how the other Decepticons dislike him and his actions.

Modifyed version of the end of the TF:TM shuttle scene:

Starscream: Much easier almighty Megatron, than attacking the real threat. The Autobot's Moon Base!
Megatron: You're an idiot Starscream!
Starscream: Well then, screw you guys, I'm going home!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Scene from MTMTE

Starscream: Someday I'll be giving the orders, Rumble. You'll do what I say.

Rumble: Look, Starscream, Megatron is strong he's merciless. He can't be beaten, and you'll never be our leader.

Starscream: You will respect my authoritah!!!
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

'Yeah, and Skywarp's mother is a bitch!'
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh my god, you killed Thundercracker...

You bastard!!!