The Black Crusade...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

The Black Crusade...

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Tuesday night (just gone) in Glasgow. Shadows Fall, Arch Enemy, Dragonforce, Trivium and Machine Head all on one bill.

Best gig ever!

Anyone else been to one of these shows in the US or Europe?
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I was considering going, but having seen Machine Head, Dragonforce and Trivium already in the last year I passed, but, I'm interested to know what Arch Enemy are like, as I am going to the mega Defenders of the Faith tour in April consisting of Opeth, Arch Enemy, Devildriver and 3 Inches of Blood and have never had much experience with them.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Are DragonForce as cheesy-good live as they are recorded? Liked what I heard.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

DragonForce are easily the most amusing cock-rock band on the planet!

They've so much energy on stage it's scary. The keyboard player spent most of his time pogo-ing around but was easily jumping 3-4ft at a time! They genuinely look like they're having an awesome time whilst being on stage.

Arch Enemy were awesome. It's the first time I've seen them with Angela Gassow (is that how it's spelled?) singing (first time I saw Arch Enemy was back in '99) and despite the rumblings I'd heard that she didn't cut it live, I can honestly say they are unwarranted. For such a diminutive, lovely looking lady to belt out the vocals that she does is truly ****ing amazing.

Shadows Fall's front man had dreads as long as he was tall (over 6' by my estimation) and spent a vast amount of time wind-milling. SF were completely tight and have a new fan in me.

Arch Enemy (see above) didn't have long on stage as I'd hope, but blew me away never-the-less.

Dragon Force, I'd never really been a huge fan, but their intro sequence (taking the piss out of bands that play classical music before they appear on stage, calling it gay, then playing the theme to Donkey Kong Country for the SNES -check it out- for their opening was the highlight of the night).

Trivium were tighter now than they were when I saw them last year supporting Iron Maiden. Unfortunately we had a couple of kids around us that thought it was funny to boo them...until I got into an altercation with one of them then they ran away. I'm still not a huge fan of Trivium but the further they get away from sounding like a Metallica tribute act and the quicker they accomplish that, the better.

Machine Head - MACHINE ****ING HEAD - This band will never fail to impress me. They may not have the stage theatrics of some of the bands previously on stage, but not one band on the tour is tighter or play harder than Machine Head. From the opening with Imperium, through the chants of "DIMEBAG" ("That was so ****ing loud I think he heard you himself that time") into the intro of 'Aesthetics of Hate' (written for Dimebag) into the sublime 'Descend the Shades of Night' and through some of their earlier stuff 'Ten Ton Hammer' etc they completely dominated the crowd.

That's my review over ... :)
Thundercracker
Protoform

Post by Thundercracker »

Damn that sounds like one hell of a show there to go to. Wish I coulda been there

Best show I prolly went to was Slayer, Children of Bodom, Lamb of God in the summer of 06. Nothing beats three of your favorite bands at one venue
The Futon, it's a couch that turns into a bed....the most disappointing transformer of all.