Toy Story 3 still makes me cry.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
verytired

Toy Story 3 still makes me cry.

Post by verytired »

I came in from work, and there's my wife and the littles cuddled up on the sofa, laughing away innocently at the escape scene. I, being blessed with a memory, sat down with the dread of knowing some serious trauma was coming up.
The build up is quite dark: all the usual jokes and near escapes overshadowed by how bad things are getting so quickly. Before you know it, Lottso has betrayed them and they facing the furnace... and I am weeping like I'm at a funeral. Scratch that, I've been to a lot of funerals and I'm crying worse at this than I ever did to any of them. Woody closes his eyes and I can almost barely see through my tears... then I'm cheering the biggest cop out possible, The Claw, because I don't want them to die so bad that I'll take anything.
I usually stop then, but the wife keeps crying till Andy drives off and the credits roll. My god I love that film.

So, after such a long pre-amble, what films / stories are garunteed to get you going?
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Still gets me. All I have to do is hear You Got a Friend in Me and there's a lump in my throat. I always cry from the incinerator right til the end, there were no kids in the cinema when I went to see it just a room packed with weeping adults. Also my Mum was blubbing when she got to the end because I was about to go to uni at the time.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's the bit where they join hands, isn't it? And first time around you think "Jesus, they're going to do it, aren't they?".

Trains, Planes and Automobiles. It's all happy in the end of course, but that moment where Neal pieces it all together and he goes back and Del's just sitting there in the station hits me like a bus every time.

The Elephant Man - no bit in particular, it's just got a pervading air of resigned and dignified gloom.

Optimus biting the big-ish one in the old film still packs a surprising punch, though I think it's more a memory thing - made me cry like a baby when I was 6, because there was no guarantee he'd be back a week later like there is now (even though I totally bought the ROTF one it's less final now that there's always a Prime somewhere, even if he is just a Chalk-voiced moron or some Furmantard), and a little bit of that is still in there. It was probably the first thing I watched/read where someone died, I think.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

There is no fiction movie that makes me cry, but then I hardly watch any movies as I do not even have a tv anymore since 10 years.

Only thing that gets me 100% are documentaries especially on ww2 the allied bombings when you see burning people and 1000 years old history burning to the ground. Especially eastern front 1945 with the exodus of german people being killed and mass raped.

Although 70 years ago, I cannot stay calm (as my grand parents had the misfortune of living through the red army ravaging over Prussia)
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Obviously as a manly manish man I do not cry, but things that well me up emotionally [Spoilers for old stuff here...]:

The first three seasons of 24 each have a heartbreakingly sad death in them. Terri's in season one is extremely nasty because, after she's been a good for most of the Day, you sort of get into the mindset that Nina's going to be a bwahaha Master style pantomime villain. That she's being genuine when she tells Terri she's just going to tie her up and leave her. The last shot of Jack finding the body is devastating.

Then George in season 2, where they succesfully move him from unscrupulous bastard to all round good and wise man dying of radiation poisoning in an unforced way before having him fly a nuclear bomb into a cliff. His little speech to Jack about getting his life back on track is cheesy, but extremely well done.

And then there's Ryan Chappell in season 3. Who could have been another George but is actually played very differently, he stays a bastard right to the end. When he's called upon to sacrifice his life for his country he tries to run away, when offered the chance to call anyone he has to admit he hasn't got any friends. And when he tries to go through with shooting himself in the head he can't do it. Forcing Jack to execute an innocent (if unlikable) man because terrorists demand it. His "I'm sorry we failed you" before firing gets me every time.

It's a shame after that the almost gleeful way they knock off regulars means most of the subsequent deaths have less and less impact (except for Tony, and that's ruined by him getting better). The low point being Curtis in season 6, after three years of being a fairly dull character he suddenly decides he has a tragic past and goes nuts, tries to kill Doctor Bashir offa Star Trek meaning Jack has to shot him as well for no real reason.

The Deep Space Nine episode The Visitor always chokes me up. Which is impressive considering it's basically every episode of Voyager, but it shows perfectly how to do an alternate future reset button story and make you give a ****. Mainly thanks to Tony Todd being bloody awesome as the old Jake.

I brought the complete Quantum Leap collection a couple of weeks ago, and with a mate watched The One With Al's Wife and The Last One back to back. Even in the company of another manly man I could feel a tear building in both. Al's "dancing" with Beth and trying to make her hear him so she won't remarry and Sam passing up the chance to go home so he can keep on helping people- starting with Al, are both beautiful moments. When I start going through the show properly it'll be interesting to see if we learnt Al's surname before that first episode as whether we did or not affects if the viewer should be ahead of Sam in knowing who Beth is really married to.

Oddly enough, considering it's the sort of feel good TV a cold dead heart like mine shouldn't enjoy, Quantum Leap always had a lot of moments that got me. Just a really well done show.

Films don't tend to do so much for me, I guess the longer investment in the characters on a TV show makes the difference?

I want to track down Planes, Trains and Automobiles now. Haven't seen that in years.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
verytired

Post by verytired »

Addl wrote: Only thing that gets me 100% are documentaries especially on ww2 the allied bombings when you see burning people and 1000 years old history burning to the ground. Especially eastern front 1945 with the exodus of german people being killed and mass raped.
I sympathise: One of the times I cried hardest was at a documentary about Germanys descent toward World War 2: it was a long shot of an emaciated homeless person, actually dying in the street from hunger. He feebly reached out to people, he looked in so much pain that he couldn't understand anything... but it may have been disbelief. People walked by this almost naked skeletal figure and did nothing. He was three feet away at most: I just bawled my eyes out, because I couldn't understand how people could be so heartless.

Of course I'm older now. I understand all too well.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I can't think of anything I've watched that made me cry. There are plenty of times when I've though that I might, but nope.

Oh, Up. Yeah, I got pretty sniffly.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

TS3 got me too...

As with Dalek, Quantum Leap had me at the end. Just that black screen with that simple statement right at the end.

Doctor Who has got me a couple of time too! Ten's regeneration - and in particular the line about Donna Noble's dad (the actor who played him having died in real life) got me more than I expected, as did the recent Van Gogh episode from Matt Smith's run

(that's Cliffy I can hear laughing isn't it?)

Other than that, yeah factual things about depressing stuff get me...the stuff in the news with Charles Taylor and the horrors inflicted on his people... :(
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I didn't cry at that scene.

There was, however, a strong sense of jeopardy, fueled by the fact that these characters were basically at a dead end anyway. After all, if they escaped, where would they go?

All I'm saying is that that scene definitely had me thinking, "They wouldn't...they wouldn't!" - and of course, they didn't. But the chance felt very real.
BOOBS1

Post by BOOBS1 »

I cry everytime I go to one of the twilight movies. They suck, yet I still watch them...
I'm so smooth that I'm just-
And smoothies, are just, "ies.."
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

BOOBS1 wrote: They suck
I see what you did there.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
BOOBS1

Post by BOOBS1 »

inflatable dalek wrote:I see what you did there.
Yes I is pertty smart wit dat 1.
I'm so smooth that I'm just-
And smoothies, are just, "ies.."
Dinobot#1

Post by Dinobot#1 »

Well their is to many to list but the one that did the most was the frist time I saw Transformers. I mean just seeing Ironhide get killed mad me start to cry but as so as I strated to hear "You got thouch you got the power" and "Megatron must be stopped no matter the cost! " I though Prime would slaughter megatron. But Optimus's death made me bawl and when Hot rod/Rodamus opens the matrix and "optimus's" voice goes "Aries Rodamus Prime" made me happy also I strated to well up out of happyness when Hot rod has the barrings to challing Galvatron and say " End of the road Galvatron!"
Looking for Beast wars/ Beast machines pm me if you've got any.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

If anyone's seen to the end of Shooting Dogs. Flippin' eck, the bit where the Dad holds up his kid to be shot as a mercy act.

Near bucket's, man!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

The only fictional moments that have ever made me cry:

Optimus dying in TFTM when I was 4.

The ending of The Shawshank Redemption EVERY GODDAMN TIME IT'S ON TNT OR TBS.

and that horrifying scene in Toy Story 3.

That is all.
Dinobot#1

Post by Dinobot#1 »

2 weeks ago I saw Avengers I was in such disbelief after Colsin's death that when they made it seam like Iron man die I had little tears rolling down my face (until till Hulk wakes him up with that huge "roar" that is)
Looking for Beast wars/ Beast machines pm me if you've got any.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Liam Neeson's emotional breakdown at the end of Schindler's List is a tear jerker for me.

The ending to A.I.: Artificial Intelligence where the little android boy gets a perfect day with his "mother" still gets me because God know how many times I wished for that, because my mom died 21 years ago (come this Oct. 10).

The ending to Benji: The Hunted where Benji parts ways with the cubs for some reason made me cry.

The pound scene in Here Comes Garfield with that song really got to me the first time I saw on DVD because it's was a year or two after Butterscotch, my first cat's death and the "Dana's Story" segment in Garfield's Nine Lives special also gets to me for the same reason.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Episode "The Vistor" gets me choked up.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

The end of Gladiator (I actually think it's the music that gets me there). I can agree with DS9's The Visitor, mostly down to how Todd plays it. A couple of odd moments in doctor who over the years, Donnas mindwipe, Ecclestones regeneration, and the Van Gogh ending.

recently went to a big-screen showing of Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the ending in the alleyway got me again (got most of the rest of the cinema, too)

but i've never seen Toy Story three. saw the first two and they just never did that much for me. I know what happens in 3, and it still doesn't hold any interest for me. if anything, the ending seems a bit.... dumb. blasphemy?

beyond that, I don't really get weepy. Gundam 00 left me a bit emotionally sensitive after certain character deaths. and the most recent season finale of NCIS with ducky on the beach also left me stunned for a day or two. but mostly stuff like this leaves me thinking "you bastards, you utter, utter, bastards" at the writers/producers. and I love them for it.
verytired

Another from me...

Post by verytired »

The Invention of Lying.

Yeah, it's a bloody awful film. It's predictable, trite, and it has some serious logic errors in it, but...
This is a world where no one can lie, or invent anything that isn't true. They can't tell stories, and they have no religion. So, when Ricky's mum is about to pass on from old age, she's terrified of there being nothing, no afterlife for her to go to. The doctors and nurses are all quite cold and robotic about it. Then Ricky, distraught at his mums terror, uses his new skill to invent an afterlife for his mum. He tells her she's going to live in a big house, with all the people that she's loved who have passed on, and she'll be forever young. And she dies weeping with joy.

The rest of the film is shit, but that scene, first time I saw it? I just couldn't stop crying man. Killed me.