Let's talk about The Trilogy

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Let's talk about The Trilogy

Post by Halfshell »

No, actually, let's not. Let's talk about which set of movies you immediately presumed I was referring to.

Why? That "there's only one trilogy" claptrap from Clerks II.

Did you think I meant Star Wars? Or Lord of the Rings? Or The Matrix? Back to the Future? Leone's Spaghettis? Austin Powers? Godfather? Indy? Scream? Pirates? Spidey? Shrek? Terminator? Ocean's? Ace Ventura? TMNT? Blade? Jurassic Park? Infernal Affairs? Cannonball Run? Something else?

Or did you instinctively leap to the "uhm... which trilogy?" question?

Come on - don't be shy. If you automatically thought there was only one thing I could be talking about, speak up. You;re geeking on a TF message board, so you're among people just as pathetic as yourself.

What's this obsession with trilogies anyway? Anything's half decent, you need to make two more. No notion of "leave it alone and maybe we might make a follow up some point later down the line." It doesn't even seem to be a milking it thing. It's like this natural obsession with "if the TF movie's good, we'll get a trilogy." [I've not seen it yet, so **** off if you think this is a venue for discussion of that - it's a hypothetical] "If Serenity's successful, they'll make two more."

And the insistence on mimicking Empire and making the second one a cliffhanger. With the recent addition of the third one being released immediately afterwards.

And them both being fairly naff. As much as I enjoyed Pirates 3, I can't actually remember what the plot was.

Oh, bollocks to it. What's your favourite trilogy?

[And, yes, sensible people. I'm fully aware. I'm waiting to see with dimwitted "clever person" nitpicks it first.]
Prons
Protoform

Post by Prons »

Well... Because this is a TF forum I thought we were going to be discussing Transformers, G1, G2, and G3.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Tell me that's a dig at my deliberate mistake.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Actually, I thought it was going to be about 'The father, the son and the holy ghost", but then it occurs to me that that's the "Trinity" right?

There are many good trilogies, "The Dark Elf Trilogy" being my favorite...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hitchhiker's.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I blame Lucas. Before StarWars there wasn't a massive perchant for doing films in 3's.

But 3 seems to make a number of people happier. If a second is good then people wnat more, if it isn't people will give the franchaise one last go to entertain. Actors can feel mostly safe at having a franchaise that will draw people in, but won't be tied to it for too long so they can go elsewhere for other parts confortably.

As for the original question I still go for the Original Star Wars. LotRs on occasion. But LotRs while better is quite a mamonth task to rewatch now I'm not as excited about it as I once was. Where as Star Wars is still an easy and exciting watch, especially now the 'new' films bad after taste has been washed away, thanks to Sith being pretty damn good.

As for action/Sci-fi genre which tends to make use of the troilgy more than anyother besies LotRs has there actually been a trilogy where all 3 has been great?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Jetfire
besies LotRs has there actually been a trilogy where all 3 has been great?

Back to the Future?
Indiana Jones?
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Ya see both of thsoe are great trilogy's but some individual entries to either franchaise are mearly 'good' rather than all 3 being 'great'. Rather like 'Return of the Jedi' in the original Star Wars trilogy.
Aardvark

Smilies FTW!!!

Post by Aardvark »

Well, personally I hated both of the LOTR sequels – I thought the first one was good fun, whereas I found the other two to be boring, meandering and I dunno… pompous films. But hey, loads of people think they’re astonishingly good, and I’m not exactly the biggest fan of the fantasy films to begin with. Still, the third film did feel unbearably long . . . :)

In answer to Brendocon's original question: I had no idea what the thread was going to be about -- choice between this, "Socccks" and "Drunnnnnk". ;) <---

What do I think of trilogies in general? Well, my stance stops me from getting annoyed by poor sequels -- I take each one as a separate entity -- the first film’s on its own, the second film includes the first film in its continuity, and the third film includes all three. It may sound silly, but it works for me.

Favourite trilogy? The only one posted so far that I’ve seen in its entirety, which doesn’t have an obvious clunker, is Back to the Future.

IMHO, Mad Max is actually one of the most consistent trilogies -- all three are enjoyable action romps, and I love how it gets crazier and crazier. Though there is a new one coming out The Evil Dead trilogy - that’s all kinds of awesomeness. Man, I sound so classy at the mo. And on that note, it’s been a while since I’ve seen ’em, but I adored all the films in the Naked Gun trilogy (Actually, I may be wrong there -- all three film have kind of merged into one in my mind, so there may well have been a lame duck in the series). I suck . . . :(

Oh, the Quatermass trilogy is excellent – even the second one. Yeah, the first two haven’t dated particularly well, but I still find them thoroughly enjoyable.

I’m sure I’m forgetting loads or I'm just lazy -- it's the latter
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I'd have to agree with Jets on the LOTR ones being great, but I can't be asked to sit down and watch the extended versions anymore..
3 4 hour movies just kicks your ass.

Indy was also very good, and I never really was too much into star wars, but they were still classics that you had to watch.

I thought you were talking about the TF movie and the fact that t

here will be two more made, to be fair..:yawn:
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

There's an Indy 4 ... coming out ...

What about X-Men ?

I immediately thought of LotR because it's the set of films that seemingly popularised the term trilogy in relation to film. Of the 'great' trilogies of our time I'd suggest Star Wars as, overall, the "best" if not the most consistently good.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hmmm . . . I honestly wasn't sure which you were on about, so I opened the topic to see which one.

All in all, with regards to the Matrix and Pirates, I actually liked the sequels. Mainly because I had the background from the first movie, anyway, and they didn't skim on what I was there for, anyway: action and 'splosions! Then again, any movie that keeps my mind occupied for a few hours is usually an enjoyable diversion, for me.

Aye. I watched LOTR Extended about a year and a half to two years ago, and I haven't cared to watch any version of it, since. All in all, if I were to watch it again, I'd watch the standard Fellowship and Two Towers and the extended Return, as I felt like that was the only one, where the scenes actually added anything (and that was really only Sauruman's death, and the bit with Sauron's mouthpiece). It's just too much of a beast to marathon and it takes all day.

Star Wars is pretty good. TBH, the only movie I really don't like, out of all six, is the Phantom Menace (though it's been a while and I should probably rewatch it, since the stuff that really annoyed me about the movie were Anakin and Jar-jar. Oh, and I got really bored, during the pod race scene that so many people thought was cool). I actually didn't mind attack of the clones, and I loved revenge of the sith. Clone Wars cartoon was good.

Of the series mentioned, about the only one I really wouldn't be overly excited in seeing is the X-Men trilogy. I was into them as a kid, but they got old, quick, which wasn't helped by the cartoon taking at least two years to write new stories (or, at least, it felt like it took that long). All in all, I wasinterested in the first one, but the second one, with the anti-mutant front, felt like a rehash. I didn't even bother seeking out the third one. Ended up seeing about the last third of it at a friend's place, since he was watching it, when I got in. Didn't really feel the desire to see the rest of it . . . :\
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

attack of the Clone sis actually really very good in my opinion. The acting can only be describe as atrocious because Lucas mad eit pretty clear he had no interest in it, but it's got a suitably well made plot, great action and lots of eye candy of various forms. Just skip those love sceens, which at leats look very pretty.

Underrated.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Really? After rewatching the TMNT movies, I found that the turtles were a bit annoying, in the first one. Second one was better, but a little cheesy, and I ended up liking the third one the best. I need to see the new CG movie, still . . .

Didn't realize that Temple was a prequel, but I was a kid when I saw it.

The Spidey movies were quite fun. It always freaks me out when I think about how on the mark. J. Jonah Jameson's actor is. You couldn't find an actor, who looks more like him.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Trilogy rolls off the tounge better than quadrilogy.

My first thought was, "what trilogy is he talking about?"

Trilogies aren't bad when they're designed to be a single story broken into parts (ignoring the Star Wars prequels, mind), but too often two sequels are tacked onto a successful movie with the intent of 'expanding the story' of something that was meant to be stand-alone.

The Matrix movies are a good example of what not to do - taking a movie that was written to stand by itself and trying to play it out for two sequels.

The Die Hard movies are good example of how that should be handled - each film is a complete story unto itself, like episodes in TV show.

Indiana Jones is not a trilogy in the same way - there's no over-arching story to the three films. "Trilogy" just looks good on DVD boxsets.

Put it this way - if it's a real trilogy, a fourth movie isn't possible/necessary/planned from the beginning.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

I thought first of The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

As for my favorite film trilogies, I like The Man With No Name and Indiana Jones (despite Temple of Doom). I enjoy both Star Wars trilogies.

If we're not restricting ourselves to movies, I also like the DragonLance Chronicles and Super Mario Bros. 1 - 3 (either version of 2 will do).
Hang on to your ego.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Hound
There are many good trilogies, "The Dark Elf Trilogy" being my favorite...

You know, I read this, and meant to comment. Back in my reading days, I didn't read this, but I read the four books that follow the Icewind Dale trilogy (which followed Dark Elf, for anyone, who isn't familiar). Really good stuff. Trying to get myself back to reading again, mainly so I can read that and the rest of Drizz't's adventures.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
You know, I read this, and meant to comment. Back in my reading days, I didn't read this, but I read the four books that follow the Icewind Dale trilogy (which followed Dark Elf, for anyone, who isn't familiar). Really good stuff. Trying to get myself back to reading again, mainly so I can read that and the rest of Drizz't's adventures.

Yes it is a very good read. All of Salvatore's books are excellent, and he has created many wonderful characters in the Forgotten Realms setting. My favorite being Jarlaxle.

I do hold him responsible for the fact that 90% of all DnD noobs want to play as a drow now days. :rolleyes: