A new TMNT cartoon?!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

A new TMNT cartoon?!

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

I used to like watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in the day (the first couple of seasons that is). I hear now that they're gonna make a whole new series. Anyone got some info on this? :confused:
MegaConvoy
Protoform

Post by MegaConvoy »

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/html/sneakpeek.html

Your welcome. ;)

Anyway, the show looks like its gonna be hot(atleast the animation anyway). They say the first season is only going to be 26 episodes, but if the show turns out to be a hit, there will definetly be more. Only one problem....THIS THING IS GONNA BE ON THE FRIGGEN FOX BOX! Which we all know gets the lowest ratings on Television today. :( Oh well, this'll probably help boost Fox's ratings, but I personally think they should air it on Toonami if they expect to get good ratings. I mean, thats just my opinion. Oh well, hopefully they'll air it about the time Pokemon comes on, that way I have somethin to watch on Saturday mornings between 10:00am and 10:30am instead of channel surfing in between Ozzy N Drix and Mucha Lucha. ^_^

Edit: And I just realized somethin. Isnt it odd how Dr. Baxter got a bit taller, a new hair cut, and got himself one HELL of a tan since the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. lol Plus, is it me or does April look too thugged out to be a news reporter now. :D

"It's just such ignorance which forever relegates you to the ranks of underlings Starscream!"
-G1 Megatron
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Here it is for those who don't wanna click the link. (danm you, MegaConvoy)

There will be a minimum of 26 episodes of the new TMNT cartoon (and if the series is a hit, there will be tons more - so make sure you get all of your friends and family to watch the show!

Something new to the storytelling mix will be serialization; as the cartoon progresses, the characters will evolve, as will their relationships and perils. Some plots will lead from one show to the next, perhaps with an occasional cliffhanger ending, while several intriguing subplots will run throughout the course of the season with exciting "reveals" every so often. There will definitely be some self-contained episodes, but the show will be much more rewarding if ya watch every week, as the subtle nuances in character develpment and plot will be enriched by consistent viewing. The idea behind this approach is to tell lots of different cool stories, but to also have an overall goal that takes the characters from one place and leaves them at another - just like a movie, or real life.

The new Turtles will not remain stereotypical archetypes, they'll learn and grow from their experiences, as will their friends and foes. We think this will make for a much more interesting, entertaining and engrossing cartoon. We think you'll agree!

Humor will remain an important aspect of the show, but action and adventure are equally important. Expect to see the Turtles kicking serious shell in a way that only they can!

HEROES
The main cast will be the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo (yes - we'll be using the correct spelling of the name from now on in everything we do). The TMNT will be 15 years old in the new cartoon, and the only mutant turtles you'll be seeing are the four originals, so fear not all of you who hated Venus de Milo - she's definitely history (with apologies to those of you who loved her).

Leonardo will remain the leader of the team. His serious nature and work ethic will be familiar to everyone. Leo is dedicated, disciplined and selfless, always ready to remind his brothers of Master Splinter's teachings and the importance of teamwork.

Donatello will still be inventing various high-tech devices and creating marvelous machines. Don will be the quiet, withdrawn one, spending much of his time silently planning his next project rather than interacting with the group.

Raphael will remain the impetuous, hot-headed rebel that we all seem to relate to on some level. Conflicts will arise between Raph and Leo (o' course), but fortunately Mikey will be there to keep the peace. Raph will be the toughest fighter among the Turtles, but his temper and unwilligness to compromise will get everyone into hot water.

Michelangelo will still be the "party dude," but things will be ramped down - don't expect endless pizza jokes or surfer speak - but do expect Mikey to remain the "class clown," making plenty of jokes and using today's pop culture for points of comical reference. Michelangelo will definitely be full of one liners and outrageous slang, but he's also the most athletic Turtle, so his abilites on the battlefield will be as important as his knack for comedy.

Master Splinter will remain the enigmatic Sensei, striving to teach his pupils the way of Ninjitsu as well as how to become a better person... er... Turtle. Splinter will also be teaching the viewers important aspects of the TMNT's history, as he will narrate part of the stories himself.

April O'Neil begins the series as the classic "damsel in distress," but in short order she learns how to take care of herself, and in turn, the Turtles as well. April will not begin the show as a reporter, but as a lab assistant to the mad scientist, Baxter Stockman (just like she was in the original comic books). April becomes the TMNT's main contact to the outside world, a surrogate "big sister." Her friendship and assistance is something that the Turtles and Master Splinter value tremendously. April won't just be the mutant terrapins' friend, she'll be an important member of the Turtle Team. O'Neil will form a close bond with Donatello, as both are keenly interested in the sciences.

Casey Jones is the mad vigilante - nearly out of control when the Turtles meet him. Casey, much like Raph but even worse, has a temper that he just can't control, and he takes out his anger on the local hoods in the hood. Unfortunately, Jones is as nutty as peanut butter, and he dishes out the same punishment to a purse-snatcher that he would a murderer! Fortunately Casey meets the Turtles, and with their help, he learns how to keep it together. Initially Jones and O'Neil are like oil and water, but as Casey mellows, he and April become friends... and in time, perhaps something more.

VILLAINS
The Shredder: Yes, Saki returns as the Turtles' arch nemesis... but this time he isn't accompanied by Krang or the blundering Bebop and Rocksteady. Shredder is evil through and through in the new series, and he isn't so foolish that he partners himself with inept aliens and mutants. Saki is a refined and successful "businessman," but as the Shredder, he is one of the most feared criminals in the world. He has an old and personal vendetta against the Turtles and their allies, and he will not rest until he accomplishes his goals of wiping them all out.

The Foot is a well-oiled organized crime ring, led by the Shredder. There are many different divsions of the long-lived and much feared order, from suit wearing corporate criminals to the costumed and deadly Ninjitsu warriors. There are also secret and deadly Foot, their knowledge of the martial and arcane arts making them far more deadly than you've ever seen in the past. The Foot are no longer mindless robot drones, but cunning and nefarious foes.

Baxter Stockman isn't the blundering fly-boy you remember from the original series. Baxter runs the successful technology company Stocktonics, and he invents the Mousers, amazing robot rat hunters. Stockman appears to be the answer to the City's rodent problem, but it turns out that the biggest rat of all is Stockman himself. Baxter is a brilliant, but quite mad, scientist who has his fingers on the pulse of all that ails New York City.

Hun is the commander of Shredder's Elite Ninja, the best of the Foot Ninja forces. Hun is a mountain of muscle with deadly Ninjitsu skills, and he's almost as feared as Shredder himself. The monumental man was taken in by Shredder when he was a child member of the Purple Dragon gang. After years of personal instruction from Saki, Hun is as formidable foe as the Turtles may face... save for Saki himself. Hun views Shredder as his father, and he would do anything that the villain requests.

The Purple Dragons: are the toughest street gang in the Big Apple... but smart they ain't. They are a fierce, nasty bunch of not-too-clever, anti-social hoods. The one factor that keeps the Purple Dragons on top is that they're connected. Thanks to Hun's early involvement in their gang and his association with the Shredder, the Purple Dragons thrive as the Foot's lower level manpower, handling tasks like shakedowns, protection rackets and other small-scale criminal operations.

LOCATIONS
New York City: The TMNT will continue to call the Big Apple their home, as it's simply the best city in the world for the Turtles to live. New York offers ample room for the TMNT to train and play - whether it's within the bowels of the sewers, the heights of the rooftops or the darkened alleys of ground level, the Turtles have ample areas to explore and utilize. The Turtles love New York City and all that it offers.

The Turtles' Sewer Lair: The Turtles will have a new, bigger and better abode. Decked out with curious accouterments and numerous rooms, the Turtles will feel right at home in their latest sewer digs.

The Warehouse: Directly above the Sewer Lair sits an old abandoned warehouse. The Turtles quickly utilize the space to store their various vehicles.

April's Antique Shop: April inherited the building from her father when he passed away several years ago, and she lives in the comfy upstairs apartment. The antique shop had been closed since her father's death, but when April loses her job with Baxter Stockman, she reopens the curio shop. There are a few other apartments in the building, and we'll be meeting some of its residents as the series progresses.

Casey's Grandma's House: Casey inherited this dilapidated old farm house, and while it's in serious disrepair, it will offer a safe haven to our heroes when they need it. Located two hours from New York City, the home can also be a place for the Turtles to "get away from it all" should the need ever arise.

Shredder's Penthouse/Foot Headquarters: The Shredder's abode will be no secret - it's a skyscraper topped by a Shinto Temple! The Temple portion is majestic in its beauty while the building houses all of the various factions of the Foot's criminal organization.

TCRI Labs: a mysterious building filled with a bizarre labyrinth of technological wonders... yes... the Utroms will be appearing in the new cartoon!

VEHICLES
Thanks to Don's abilities, the Turtles won't have any shortage of cool wheels to burn!

The BattleShell: (initially called the Battlewagon) An armored car that the lads get in the first episode, Don takes it to his chop-shop in the Warehouse and decks it out with all the latest armor and weapons. The BattleShell is is the modern equivalent of the TMNT Van.

The Railracer: Don takes an old railroad car and modifies it to be the fastest subway vehcile to careen beneath the streets of NYC. Donatello didn't skimp on the computer controls, so the guys can tap into the city's mass transit system, allowing them to monitor traffic and remotely control the track switches to make a quick getaway or arrive on the scene in the nick of time.

The SewerSled: Designed to ride the walls of the sewer tunnels, the SewerSled consists of a pilot area in front and a cargo area in the rear (though if necessary, the cargo area has room for a passenger or two). When this shock-mounted sewer express gets going, pin-wheeling through the twisting tunnels, it's like riding an underground roller coaster!

The ShellCycle: Built from parts of numerous other bikes, nothing else looks or rides like this monster motorcycle! This cool bike is the guys' favorite vehicle, and they often fight over who gets to ride it! Eventually Don may have to whip out three more - but no two can possibly be alike, so the arguing might continue indefinitely.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Thanks.

No Krang or Bebop or Rocksteady?! Man that sucks! Sounds like it's going to be good. I just hope it's isn't any of that Poke/Digimon crap that's plagued the recent Tranformers cartoons (RID and Armada). I'm keepin' my fingers crossed!
Plasmodium

Best. Post. Ever.

Post by Plasmodium »

Well, Im glad to see that there will be another series.

So theyre 15 eh?

Well........that just turned this series to COMPLETE ****! No doubt theyre going to be listening to rap and be like "sk8ers."
Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Sounds like it's going to be good
Yes...

If good = ****, then you are correct.

If they are not sk8ers and dont listen to rap, and its not Pokemon like...then I will possibly consider it to be good...POSSIBLY. But, as with most things...I will no doubt see this as liquid ****.

So..

Even before the series comes out..

I am giving it a score of: -28974/10.

That translates to: MASSIVE PILE OF ****!
MegaConvoy
Protoform

Re: Best. Post. Ever.

Post by MegaConvoy »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
Even before the series comes out..

I am giving it a score of: -28974/10.

That translates to: MASSIVE PILE OF ****!

Heh, I'mma laugh IF you're proven wrong. ;) And I'mma remember this thread to just to let you know, especially if you come up here sayin that its your favorite show of all time when it comes out. :D

Edit: But anyway, I just noticed that Venus Di Milo isnt going to be in here, so that isnt a bad thing.

"It's just such ignorance which forever relegates you to the ranks of underlings Starscream!"
-G1 Megatron
Plasmodium

Re: Re: Best. Post. Ever.

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by MegaConvoy
Heh, I'mma laugh IF you're proven wrong. ;) And I'mma remember this thread to just to let you know, especially if you come up here sayin that its your favorite show of all time when it comes out. :D

Ya, you see it doesnt matter if other people are having orgasms over it...I HAVE TO LIKE IT.

I hate almost everything... So I doubt I will like this flaming pile of ****...it is highly unlikely. As soon as one thing pisses me off it will be proven as grade A dung. It must BE PERFECT.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

I remember hearing rumors of a John Woo produced TMNT movie about 2 years ago, but nothing since then. It would have been all CGI, basing itself entirely on the original Eastman/Laird comic book series. At least a PG-13 rating, a true fanboy's dream. Man, I would have stabbed another human being to see that. Too bad it will likely never happen, especially with the Final Fantasy movie killing any hopes of non cartoonish all-CGI movies for the time being...

TV show looks blah. I bet they'll all be color-coded again. God help me if I hear the "C" word come out of their mouths... ;)
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by BigMaki
I remember hearing rumors of a John Woo produced TMNT movie about 2 years ago

Again, as with Bond, that would rock.

:D :D :D
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

What would rock would be parents taking the kids to see it and rushing out when the Turtles start killing. :D

Anyone know if the trade paperbacks for those original independent issues are still available anywhere?
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

What would rock would be parents taking the kids to see it and rushing out when the Turtles start killing. :D

Ah, I can imagine that now. I wish that happened.... :'(
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Looks like it´ll much closer to the original comic (and at the same the first movie) than the previous cartoon. Which is good. Baxter for exmple is once again black, Splinter (propably, at least I hope so) originally a rat, Shredder a real threat, Ultroms instead of Krang etc.

My big fear is that April and Casey will be portrayed as teenagers when they are actually young adults. Plus the obligatory ethnic good guy would be a nice add to the bunch. ;)

But I don´t see the cartoon fans (which again are a majority) being happy before they change Purple Dragons gang into "Purple Dragons featuring Be-Bop and Rocksteady". :D Those two morons would be about the only things I´d miss from the original show. Oh, and I hope they can use Stan Sakai´s Usagi Yojimbo.
Quick Switch

Post by Quick Switch »

Sounds to me like they're returning to Eastman and Laird's old comic.
Edit: And I just realized somethin. Isnt it odd how Dr. Baxter got a bit taller, a new hair cut, and got himself one HELL of a tan since the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. lol Plus, is it me or does April look too thugged out to be a news reporter now.
I haven't seen the new show, but technically the first Baxter Stockman wasn't accurate in the cartoon; in Eastman and Laird's comic, Dr. Stockman was black. And I have the old Palladium RPG to prove it.
-------
Sig courtesy of the Sig Master, Skywarp!
-------
Former AWF Tag Team Champion
Co-Hardcore Champion (x 2)
Member of Pulp Faction!
-------
TF Archive RPG Co-Player of the Year
-------
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

In honor of this, I've been picking up the old collected TMNT graphic novels from eBay. Hopefully I can win the one for the phonebook, but we'll see, I guess... :)
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

In honor of this, I've been picking up the old collected TMNT graphic novels from eBay.
Just try to avoid the "First Graphic Novel" collections, that contain coloured versions of early issues. The colours destroy the great b&w graphics. I´m still kicking myself for not buying that big collection of the very first issues. Later on I had to settle for those colour versions. :(
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

I lost the auction for the "phonebook" which contained the first 11 issues plus the individual one-shots. I'm going to try and order it from the official site and see if there's still any available. Hopefully the ones I picked up are not the colored ones. I'll see when they arrive, I guess.
Sir Auros

Re: Best. Post. Ever.

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
Well........that just turned this series to COMPLETE ****! No doubt theyre going to be listening to rap and be like "sk8ers."
Well, they were 15 in the original series and they didn't necessarily act like teenagers of the day back then. I'd also like to point out that skaters (as in skateboarders, rollerbladers don't count as skaters, cuz they're pussies), do NOT listen to rap, they're more into indie, punk, and hardcore. Posers, however, DO listen to rap whilst skating...when they're not rollerblading that is.

On the topic...I'm somewhat interested in this new series, but I do think it was a mistake to put it on FOX, because, well, FOX sucks ass, and Cartoon Network's getting all the action with the new He-Man and Armada anyway.

Note: This does not mean I endorse Armada, I still hate it with an undying passion.
Prowl?
Protoform

Post by Prowl? »

Man, no bebop and rocksteady?
Those guys MADE the original show!

Whats up with dropping those guys and giving rejects like Casey jones and pre-fly Baxter the spotlight?

*shakes head*
at least they didnt mess with the look of the four lean-mean-green-machines.
-----------------------
P R O W L ?
I support Todd Bertuzzi
start climbing that sh*t rope...
http://maddox.xmission.com/
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Awesome, will this be released in the UK?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Osku
Just try to avoid the "First Graphic Novel" collections, that contain coloured versions of early issues. The colours destroy the great b&w graphics. I´m still kicking myself for not buying that big collection of the very first issues. Later on I had to settle for those colour versions. :(
Though I prefer the black & white versions, I thought First did a pretty good job with the coloring, having read volumes 3 & 4, at least. It is still possible to get the black & white reprints directly from Mirage Publishing. If you go to http://www.ninjaturtles.com/catalog.htm you can find all 5 of the original black & white collections that cover #1-23 plus the 4 solo books, along with quite a few original issues from the first series through Image and the current one. They ship internationally, too...

While I'm on it, has anyone read the Image TMNT series? I picked up the trade that contains the first 5 issues. It was frenetic, to say the least. I think that the decision to go black & white was a bad one, only because the art wasn't clean enough and made everything quite confusing... Definitely not up to the standards set by the first series. Did it ever get any better?