Megan Fox: Ignorant bigot and bad at geography

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Megan Fox: Ignorant bigot and bad at geography

Post by Notabot »

From here
The "Transformers" bombshell-cum-uninhibited philosophizer also contemplates -- reluctantly -- what she would say to Megatron to keep him from destroying the world. "I'd barter with him," she muses to the July issue Total Film UK, "and say instead of the entire planet, can you just take out all of the white trash, hillbilly, anti-gay, super bible-beating people in Middle America?"
I believe the derogatory term you were trying to use is Bible-thumping. Silly little superstar.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I don't know, those people also set off outrageous amounts of fireworks in my development...I feel like I'm under attack!

So yeah, I'd love less of THOSE people.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I don't have a problem with people being bigoted towards bigots, and "Middle America," is more of an idea than a geographic location. In other words, yay Megan Fox, boo anti-gay, redneck zealots.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I wouldn't mind them so much if their "bombing runs" didn't scare the piss out of me...
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

How dare she want homophobic zealots wiped out in a hypothetical situation. She's got some nerve on her for being pro-gay and anti-religious zeal.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Sades

Post by Sades »

... Yeah, that totally wouldn't work with Megatron.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

See, what cracks me up is the flagrant double standard. It's ok to make sweeping statements, even calling for the death of people that disagree with you (yes, in a hypothetical way), as long as you're only doing so against certain people. Were I to make a similar statement regarding another group, be it militant homosexuals, broadly painted Hindus, or dreadlock bearing Samoans, how quickly would Perez Hilton be all up in my face? If Shia Lebouf answered the question "I'd bargain with him and say instead of the entire planet, can you just take out all of the camel jockey, close-minded, anti-gay, super Koran-beating people in the Middle East?", how would that fly?
It amuses me, that's all.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I take offense to her ignorant ramblings. She clearly has no clue what she is talking about. I myself am a white trash hillbilly, yet I despite christianity, have no problems with gay people, and do not live in middle America.
Hound

Post by Hound »

See, what we need to do is let him take California. That'd get rid of most of the crap on TV and Ackula. It's a win situation all around.

I'm seriously not seeing the problem with what she said. She's pretty specific about which people she wants rid of and I'm not seeing how "the white trash, hillbilly, anti-gay, super bible-beating people in Middle America" are at all desirable and worth defending. That's a lot of criteria to qualify for and none of it worth having around.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Notabot wrote:See, what cracks me up is the flagrant double standard.
"You have the right to free speech. Assuming you're not dumb enough to actually try it.

Unless you're hot.

Like, seriously hot."

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to be hot."

If Evelyn Hall and Joe Strummer agree, something must be right.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think one person here's got the right idea - how exactly do you bargain this with Megatron? What exactly would be in it for him? "Oh, alright, I won't enslave and/or kill your entire race, as was my main plan, I'll just kill one particular bunch because this quite plain girl has asked me to do that instead".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Notabot wrote:answered the question "I'd bargain with him and say instead of the entire planet, can you just take out all of the camel jockey, close-minded, anti-gay, super Koran-beating people in the Middle East?", how would that fly?
Omit "camel jockey" and probably just fine, especially if [presuming you're looking at an equivalent situation] you're Middle Eastern and saying it in the Middle East. Although "fine" in this case does mean that some religious extremists might be likely to actively try to kill you for it.

Whether "white trash", "redneck" and "hillbilly" constitute racism is up for grabs; personally I'd say no since most people using them are Caucasian and're doing so in reference to culture or class structure. Camel jockey's generally quite specifically a white-on-arab slur.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Call it a double-standard, but hating on bigots is a-ok in my book and it always will be. Like Hound said, she specifically called out a group of people that do not play well with others. It wasn't like she was saying "white people," or "Christians," or even just "Southerners." She called out the elements within those groups that are racist or against anyone believing differently than they do.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Does it actually count as racism if you're slagging off your own country/ethnic group? It I called everybody in Dudley a tosser it wouldn't be racist. It'd be common sense.

Though I suspect she's not being entirely serious.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

What I find funny, in all seriousness, is that living here on the west coast I see as many if not more of the type of people she is talking about. I don't think its in any one place in America, there are ignorant religious extremists all over. Most of them here aren't Caucasian though, they are actually Hispanic Catholics, go figure.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

It does tend to have a lot more to do with level of education, socioeconomic status, and religion than it does with race.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Denyer wrote:Omit "camel jockey" and probably just fine,
I agree. More types of people than Muslims (or Arabs for that matter) ride camels.

I guess the difference between "Near East" (also North Africa) and "Far East" mattered for assigning this term.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

I think she was just saying a spur of the moment hate list that people in Hollywood would like to hear.

I agree with her, on the hypothetical level.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Cliffjumper: I think one person here's got the right idea - how exactly do you bargain this with Megatron? What exactly would be in it for him? "Oh, alright, I won't enslave and/or kill your entire race, as was my main plan, I'll just kill one particular bunch because this quite plain girl has asked me to do that instead".
Nah, Megatron didn't want to enslave or kill anyone, especially. He just wanted his ball back. If she said that the Middle Americans had the Allspark (which, come to think of it, they did, didn't they? What's the rough boundary of this Middle America place?) then he'd be off tearing up some houses in the farm belt within minutes. A key way to defeat Movie Megatron would be to tell him that the Allspark is inside his own body and then watch him go like a Terry Gilliam samurai.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Like I mentioned before, Middle America is a demographic, not a geographic location.