Board back online

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
TFArchive
Custom Title: King Lurker

Board back online

Post by TFArchive »

Board has been moved to the new server. There are some issues that need to be fixed but those will be fixed to day so don't worry.

Thanks for your patience
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
http://tfarchive.com/
Halfshell

Re: Board back online

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by TFArchive
There are some issues that need to be fixed

I hope it includes Dreamwave's G1 vol 2, along with the bulk of Budiansky's latter stuff.

[/phenomenally cheap shot]
Computron

Post by Computron »

don;t know if u r aware but I'm getting a tonne of SQL errors as I navigate around.
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by Computron
don;t know if u r aware but I'm getting a tonne of SQL errors as I navigate around.

So do I.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I'm guessing those fall under the 'issues' he was talking about.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Me three
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

I can't seem to log into the board. Luckily that this section allows those who are unregistered to post.

*EDIT* I'm logged in now, but I couldn't do it by clicking on the above links. I had to sign in here and post.
Guestjumper

Post by Guestjumper »

Me too :\
Computron

Post by Computron »

Originally posted by Guestjumper
Me too :\

damm the admins plan to get rid of cliffjumper has been foiled :P
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Da da da!

It's just the login at the top which seems to lead to a 404... if you just log in by posting in a non-guest forum, that seems to work. Also, the "jump" buttons to go to first unread post are out of order.

Cheers Brendan! :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If you think about it... the board is temporarily at tfarchive2.com and most of the links everywhere are for tfarchive.com... I'm going through and replacing them where noticeable with non-hardcoded versions, and I've switched the top indicator off on the board for a while.
TFArchive

Post by TFArchive »

I'm hoping the majority of the errors will go away when the domain transfers over and everything is on tfarchive.com again. If the board seems to be working ok, I'll do the transfer tonight so most people will be on the new site tomorrow.

I'm also in the middle of changing links on every page because the old php calls won't work on the new server, even though the site# didn't change, must be a difference with apache 2 or Redhat Enterprise. No matter, it gives me an excuse to check every page and find any formatting/linking errors. I've corrected most mislinked images on the cartoons section. Still need to work on the comics/toys/voc sections. I should have enough time to finish all that tonight then I'll be sending a copy of all the changed php files to sky or I might just put a full site backup on the site for the admins to download.

Overall I'm not too happy with the move but it would have had to be done sooner or later, as my old servers OS is out of date and no longer supported :( The new server seems to be working fine when I use it so I think it will be a good move in the long run.

On a cheery note, VB 3 is released, I will probably be setting up another test board with it, sky asked if a full converted copy of the boards is possible, and I think I might be able to swing that.

Sorry admins for the sudden errors, vbulletin fixed the board as I was leaving and I didn't have much time to mess with it other than putting it online.

Thanks
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's only about six files in VoC which do anything, so should be pretty straightforward there. :)

edit: Just needs its SQL tables and 'user' transferred across.
Windrazor
Protoform

Post by Windrazor »

Hmmm.. this would explain it all... I wondered what was going on. I kept getting emails saying someone had replied to a thread that I previously replied to, and when I clicked on the link in the email it gave me a Access denied error broken link message. I then noticed chat wasn't working, nor was my name saying it was logged in anymore noting that the function was unavailable. I also found that the main news links on the main page weren't working but could get in throught the Community box etc..

So, does this mean that whenever we want to come to the site anymore, we have to type in http://www.tfarchive2.com? Or will it eventually be http://www.tfarchive.com again? Is there any ETA of all operations being fully functional again? Or is it basically a hit and miss type of thing until all things seem to be working again?
You Are Ratchet!

You are caring and compassionate.

[size=-1]Which Transformer Are You?[/size][
[size=-3]brought to you by Quizilla[/size]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The message in the header and the chat run directly from a particular cookie (.tfarchive.com)... the board wouldn't be functioning right now if it hadn't been swapped to use a different specific cookie (/community/) elsewhere... it can be changed back when the DNS has propagated. In addition, the chat requires the UNIX filename of its flatfile store, so that'll probably be the last thing converted.

Short version: each TLD is currently attached to a different server. The board is on one which was transferred a while ago, and is pointed to the new server. In a short while, the main one will point to this server too. Propagation is actually dependent on your geographical region and ISP.
Windrazor
Protoform

Post by Windrazor »

Ummm.. ok.. can you put that in english now? Sorry.. but I'm not THAT computer literate. I've heard of Unix but never actually worked with it, and all the propaganda you refer to is not making sense to me.
You Are Ratchet!

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Windrazor
propaganda
Propagation. Nameservers are why you have convenient URLs in the form of words rather than 102.284.10.107 ....there's about a dozen major ones worldwide, and data trickles down to ISPs from them. So, I might have up-to-date DNS records and get the new server when I type tfarchive.com but if you didn't you'd still see the old server. DNS records can take a day or two to propagate worldwide... the nameserver system is designed to provide redundancy if some of the servers in it are attacked, rather than speed. The internet began life as a military project to ensure global communications in the event of a significant crisis.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you ever want to transfer a site whilst retaining some particular bit of functionality...

I've never worked with UNIX as an OS, but most sites internationally run on servers which provide that kind of filing system. A lot of web hosts don't give you shell access anyway, so your only interface would be FTP or a web front end.

Short version: in a while, everyone will see the new server when they type tfarchive.com, and we can start putting things which require low-level access to server data back together again. Taking advantage of the opportunity to spring clean, probably.
Windrazor
Protoform

Post by Windrazor »

Well I knew that the government had started the internet as a project for global communication back in the late 70's early 80's but it was intentionally meant to be kept militarized until others learned of the concept and found ways to branch it out. I knew that everybody has their own IP address which is a form of tracking and connection.. I'm just not completely familiar with Unix or C++ or any number of the other forms of computer language. I do know binary coding.. well numbers anyways, a little html here and there, and I used to know msdos when I was in middle school only because we had to write a little program in which case i made a baseball player hit a home run in what looked like an old Atari type of game. The propagation thing I hadn't heard of and DNS servers I'm not too familiar with, or any of the other lingo that goes along with building websites etc.

One good thing.. the email links seem to be somewhat working again.
You Are Ratchet!

TFArchive

Post by TFArchive »

Ok, the domain has switched over for me anyways. I fixed the permission issues with mysql so the visions db is now working again. I still have a few pages to fix/update.

Let me know if you notice anything strange.
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

No sign of it here yet, but I've got a list of things to do when I can see stuff.