The stupidiest thing you've ever done when buying a transformer

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Angus
Protoform

The stupidiest thing you've ever done when buying a transformer

Post by Angus »

I really wanted to buy a pre-transmetal BW Megatron, because he is one of the 5 BWs I need to complete my collection. On ebay, it usually goes for over $40, so I was very happy when I found it on Brian's toys for $35. I bought it! Shipping was $12 because I live in Brazil. They mailed it quickly, but I got really angry with them because they refused to undervalue the toy on customs, so I will probably have to pay 60% taxes to get the toys at the post office.

Do the math: (35+12)=$47
$47 + 60% = $75 !!!

This really sucks. I will have to pay $75 for a single BW toy. If it wasn't already bad enough, a couple days after that I asked myself: am I really sure I ordered the right megatron?

The thing is the page say: "Japanese packaged Beast Wars Megatron MISB C-9". When I saw it at the webpage, the picture did not load. But It didnt say it was transmetal or transmetal2 so it never crossed my mind that i could be buying the wrong toy. I guess the C-9 thing misleaded me, because i know the code for transmetal megatron is D-40, so probably the C-9 made me think it was the original megatron.

With that doubt in mind I rushed into the webpage once again and to my surprise the picture did load this time. Crap!!! It was transmetal megatron!!!!

Dude, I will pay $75 for a transmetal megatron! I already have that one!!! I could get another one for 3 times less if i wanted to!!! And the worst thing: I did not buy the toy i wanted so badly.

Now I will have to find a fool in Brazil who is willing to pay $75 for a transmetal megatron. Or another fool who is willing to trade it for another toy I don't have. I hope I will find a fool like that...

This really sucks. I got very sad when I found out I bought the wrong toy. Not only because of the $75 I have lost, but because I will have to go another couple of months without the toy I want, because I have already spent too much money on transformers the last months. I just thought I had to share this with someone, so I chose you guys.

CRAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Oi, that sucks... :(

God Ginrai + tax isn't fun either....
Infinity9999

Post by Infinity9999 »

I think have a tie when it comes to buying transformers. The first one, I bought a regular Scourge and the TM Scourge from someone over in Great Britain. Needed to pay via international money order, so I figured OK, I can do that. Ended up having to take a two hour lunch to go to my bank so that I wouldn't have to pay $30 because I didn't have an account at the one where I worked. So it only cost me $10 extra. But then I had to tack on the extra that the GB->US conversion added which put me up by almost an extra %40. Then I had to add shipping to that as well. I don't even remember what I finally ended up paying for it, but I wasn't happy, that's for sure. Lesson learned: THINK BEFORE BIDDING ON STUFF YOU CAN'T USE PAYPAL FOR. :D

The other one was a bad assumption on my part. I was bidding on a nice complete, unbroken Highbrow on eBay. Gort wasn't shown in the pic, so I asked the seller who said he was included. I said "cool". Then I noticed that he had auctions for TM Hot Rod, TM Blurr, and TM Kup. I was like "SWEET!" I outbid everyone and ended up spending about $175 for all four of them. Got them in the mail a little later and noticed that my TMs weren't really TMs at all. Apparantly the seller looked at the wrong picture in the TF catalog and put the auction under that name. I should have asked about the TMs because they weren't shown in the pic either, but I figured that since Gort was included, so were the TMs. To his credit, he did offer to take them back and refund the money, but I needed Kup and Blurr and they were both mint complete with the unapplied sticker sheet, so I just kept them. Lesson learned: ALWAYS ASK IF SOMETHING ISN'T PICTURED! :D
I believe it was Socrates who once said: "I drank what?"
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I think the worst for me so far is God Ginrai reissue. I paid $63 for him, and along with a $23 Starscream (HLJ) paid a $20 shipping fee out of Japan. Now, split that fee in half, I got a good deal on Screamer at $33, but paid $73 for Ginrai.

Ginrai is on Ebay for some $30 now. >.<

Another one I bungled, though it wasn't so bad, was a Japanese Headmaster Highbrow. The auction for it was MISB, buy-it-now at $40.

Well, the shipping cost ended up being $20. I read this part "Add $5 for (some form of faster shipping)" and assumed it was only $5. The guy lived out of Hong Kong, and if you've seen Ebay deals from there, shipping is ALWAYS around $15-$20. Didn't know that at the time, and he didn't post that information on the auction.

THEN he only would take international bank money order, which at my bank costs $5 to issue. So I paid $65 for this guy instead of the original $40 I thought I'd get him for. Still, the guy was MISB, no stickers applied, no scratches. Been a long time since I've had a G1 original in THAT condition. ;)
Infinity9999

Post by Infinity9999 »

Dang...you got a MISB Jap Highbrow for a $40 buy-it-now?!? I think that's a mighty nice deal, even with the shipping and money order extras...
I believe it was Socrates who once said: "I drank what?"
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Yeah,
I only bought 2 things from the UK, and one of them the guy ws doing it in US currency thru Paypal so it was not that bad, but the other was for like 5 pounds which with shipping was like $14 for a couple of used comics.

I never buy anything from the Phillipines, or from Hong Kong, or Japan.

It is not worth it to me, I would rather buy it from a Japanese toy seller here in the US because of shipping costs.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Well, we all know what I paid for an official Skywarp PVC, but thankfully the guy reduced the value on the shipping forms.

Most sellers will do this if you ask them and explain why in a nice and friendly manner.

I live in England so it doesn't really make a difference if I get suff from the USA or Japan.
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Worst thing I did was buy a Menasor on ebay which the auction stated was 'complete with one foot', which I interpreted as missing one foot. It turned out it was 5 Stunticons and a foot. Added into this that the Red Alert wasn't the one pictured with the auction, and I wouldn've burned the asshole with Negative Feedback. But that wouldn't have done me any good, as he would've just negative feedbacked me back, and I'd be one minus away from losing my account. Ebay's feedback system doesn't work. So all I can do is this:-

NEVER BUY FROM SCHWARTZ ENTERPRISES, OR WHATEVER THEY'RE CALLED!
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

This is a sneaky but functional trick,

You only have 90 days to post feedback. If you really want to exact your revenge, wait until the 89th day, and post it then.

If he is doing a lot of shatty transactions, he prob. does not update feedback regularly.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I paid $120 for the pre-order of Godmaster Ginrai reissue. If I had waited until now, I could have gotten 2 for that price. :(
strafefox64
Protoform

Post by strafefox64 »

The weirdest thing I've bought were 300 robot points.

I have to pay taxes over every single package now, which is a real pain in the neck because it takes like 1 or 2 weeks longer to get the package shipped to the netherlands.