What exactly makes Mercer so much more awesome than the other two?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

What exactly makes Mercer so much more awesome than the other two?

Post by Cliffjumper »

My Mercer arrived today, and he's awesome, which is nice, because the character's awesome. What the Hell is it about the guy that makes him so damn cool? I'm sure there's more to it than being a turncoat and having an awesome voice. The strange thing is the toy's also much better than Taurus and Red Dog, not having red eyes or a borderline racist headcast, and not even being huge and having a floppy neck like the other 1986 figures. Weird.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It's the haircut.

And the fact they haven't tried to shoehorn a gimmick into him. He's not a wacky circus guy or a professional rounders player or anything like that. He's just a bloke.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The haircut is good - I reckon I can display the Sky-Striker on top of that. The only real fault is no "No Cobra" tat.

Plus I'm thinking 25th Viper + 25th Tomax arms + Thunderblast head would be a minimal-paint kitbash... Wouldn't have the red jacket, but might get close enough, plus IIRC he wore a blue flak jacket in the Devil's Due comic.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I dunno about Red Dog, but have you ever read Taurus's filecard? Hawk says that he saw Taurus breaking planks of wood over his head at a carnival sideshow and thought, "That's our man!"

Character-wise, that's not so hard to top.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Taurus has red eyes. He's a loon! What do you expect, he's not American.

I do kinda like the Renegades in the film, though, even if "unnecessary roughness" sounds more like something you'd get kicked out of Eton for in the 19th century. Problem is they're always going round with that moustachioed arsehole... Plus Red Dog had the most ridiculously powerful pistol in history.
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

OMG a coincidence. I've got Family Guy on the TV as I'm reading this and they had Flint doing one of the old "Knowing is half the battle" tv spots :eek:

V1 Mercer is soooo much better than v2. The V2 Mercer looked like he'd gained a few pounds with a more rounded face and also gained a beard which looked like he'd aged 25/30 years in a matter of about 2 years since V1 was released. Not to mention the stupid rocket launcher the UK version came with.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, I've got the Viper for the Mercer swap-bash. Only problem is it's bloody awesome and now I don't want to pop his head off. Bugger, if a bit predictable...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Surely it was him having three lines before being blown up in the first Devil's Due crossover that made him awesome?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!