Incredibly important: The cost of tea.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Incredibly important: The cost of tea.

Post by Auntie Slag »

Has anyone else noticed that the price of tea has skyrocketed lately? A few months ago a box of 80 PG Tips was about £1.57. Today it's £2.80 or something! What the hell is going on, don't they know there's a recession? In disgust I bought Tesco's own brand for a squid and it was abysmal. I'm sure there's a trades description violation there.

This is a vital commodity. Coffee is not a substitute. I sense an uprising.

Anyone else passionate about tea? Incidentally Denyer posted a link years ago to making the perfect cup. I've followed it ever since because I think it really works. Changed my life, so it did.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Thundercracker
Protoform

Post by Thundercracker »

Albeit living in the states and such I know not of your tea prices, but this recipe you talk about intrigues me. Might it be possible to inform me of it.
The Futon, it's a couch that turns into a bed....the most disappointing transformer of all.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Sure, its not so much a recipe; simply an order in which to make the tea.

Basically you put the milk in first, then you introduce a splash of boiling water to the milk so that the milk doesn't scold. Once it's happy you pour in the rest of the boiling water and make the tea as usual.

If you do it in this order/style you should never get another bitter or dodgy tasting cup of tea. It seems to work. It could just be a placebo effect, but I'm sure I remember making a few crappy teas prior to reading Denyer's link (I always used to mput the milk in last). Now I swear by it.

Having decent tea bags is the other half of the puzzle.:)
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Auntie Slag wrote:Having decent tea bags is the other half of the puzzle.:)
Good quality loose tea brewed with soft(ened) water FTW.

Forget the milk. Maybe a dash of lemon if you feel the need.

Sugar = sacrilege.
Wreck and Rule!
MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

I've found that Sainsburys Red Label aren't that bad for the cost. I generally get a huge bag every few months, their only downside in my opinion is that they tend to be dustier then some of the more expensive brands, but the saving for me outweighs the pain of having to clean the tea container on a more regular basis :) Maybe get a smaller box to try them first, you may have a more discerning palette than me :)
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Oh no, Red Label are fine by me... completely different kettle of fish to the Tesco equivalent I find.

I'm a tea Slag/Slut in that I alternate from brand to brand. Its what keeps me fresh and exciting:

- PG Tips for the mainstay.
- Typhoo is a fairly decent substitute, depending on the wind.
- Twinings yellow box is a bit posh. Very smooth, too smooth in any great
quantity and after a while I hanker for a bit o' rough (PG).
- Red Label
- Quick Brew (haven't had this in years actually).

There's other's but I've forgotten them. Then there's all your namby pamby ones like Earl Grey, Peppermint, Dog and foxglove, Sweat of a Gnat, Camomile and fairy dust etc. They're all nice, but for once in a blue moon...

I haven't had sugar in tea in donkey's.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Tetleys is better than Typhoo.

Clipper is a good tea - a bit more expensive, because it's fairtrade. I've always thought that's pretty ironic. They claim to be guaranteeing a better deal for third world growers/workers, but the only reason they do it is because they charge more for the product in the first place. So the 'moral' people here are the folks who buy the stuff, rather than the company itself. </rant>

I think PG Tips are my favourite though for every day use. And yep, teabags are expensive these days. Normally though I can find a 2 for 1 offer on somewhere, and as I live on my own, they last for bloody ages.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, my choice is pretty much determined by what on special offer at the time.

How many cups do you have a day, roughly?

I reckon I get through about six or seven, that's just a rough average though.

I stopped drinking tea at work because it just went through the roof, to the point where it was just habit and not even enjoyable anymore.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

I'm an avid Green Tea drinker and a bit of a sucker for herbal styles, I drink it under the self deluded opinion that it will speed up my metabolism and make me superhuman, although I'd probably have to drink in excess of fifty cups to make an useful contribution.

On it's own it's mundane, but I tend to branch out into versions with lemon or mint for an added twist, also red bush tea is an acquired taste, but I quite like it, a strange brew but satisfying. There is a version with vanilla essence added, but that's a bit sickly for my liking.

Been drinking a nice ginger and lemon herbal infusion, like a gentle ginger beer to warm the cockles lately after coming in from the cold.

Have to say I was quite pretentious in my youth when it came to tea, drinking only Twinnings and specifically Assam, milk and one sugar, but I don't' have milk or sugar these days in anything.

I just wish there was some kind of tea infused with cinnamon, then all my worldly dreams would come true!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I like tea. Usually herbal tea. I put a bag in the cup, and pour hot water in it. I'm not much of a stickler for any one method, except that one.

Sometimes I add sugar, sometimes I use honey or try one of those odd flavour-syrups they use in lattes and stuff. Rarely milk or cream.

I used to drink a lot lot lot of tea, but I find I'm tending back towards coffee.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm a fairly boring PG tips/ Tetley man. I generally leave he milk until last, but maybe I'll try your way.
I'm phasing out the sugar as I get older, I notice. It's like a right of passage.
I like bears.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Twining's Lady Grey, a splash of milk, and more sugar than is probably necessary. Good tea for the drinking hot is rather difficult to find and expensive around here, but tea's more of an occasional treat than a habit, so I don't feel too bad splurging for it. Pretty much any brand's breakfast variety seems fine, but Tazo (Starbucks' brand) anything is just awful.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

PG Tips, a fair bit of milk, six sugars. Student tea, it doesn't taste right otherwise now. TBH, though, I only really drink it as a vessel for getting as much sugar in me as possible. You get weird looks at work if you sit there with a bag of sugar and a spoon.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Probably about the same as you, Slag. Maybe a bit less 5-6 cups maybe. Weird thing is, I don't drink too much tea at home - mainly because I'm not organised enough to keep fresh milk in the flat. I'm not hugely bothered about the brand either - I'm a simple tea and milk man myself - I like it fairly dark though.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

As I am lactose-intolerant, I'm horrified by the idea of putting milk in tea.

In other news, we now have Dutch Blend!
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper