Recommendations?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Orion1
Protoform

Recommendations?

Post by Orion1 »

During the last couple of weeks, I've managed to get hold of the Takara reissue of Stepper from epicheroes.com (with missle launcher and 3 gold missles, gold photon rifle, attachment for his nebulon partner, which also happens to be his name!)
Plus today I managed to get the Alternator version of Shockwave(I know he's called Shockblast, but he's still Shockwave to me lol)

If someone could give me some recommendations on what they think I should do. I've just looked on epicheroes.com , and can't find Stepper on there anymore, so I'm assuming they can't get anymore in stock, or he's not being made anymore? I'd really like to take him and his target master out of the box, but if he's not being made anymore, then I'll keep him in the box, in case he'll be worth anything in the future. The same goes for Shockwave/blast, he's really hard to get hold of here in the UK, my local Argos were out of stock, so I tried another Argos in a nearby town, and they had 1 left, so I got him while I could. I'm going to try and get another 1, so I can do with him what I did with Silvertreak, keep 1 in good condition in box, and have 1 on display in robot mode. If I can't get another shockwave/blast, would it be a good idea to keep him in box, as he's not easy to get hold of?

"No matter the distance"
Justin
Protoform

Post by Justin »

I doubt the alts will ever be worth too much. Mostly adult collectors buy them so I don't forsee a lot of them being lost and/or destroyed. I guess meister sells for a lot though now, so maybe I am way wrong.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

What should you do? Enjoy your transformers and stop worrying about such things. I only have one MISB tf, Binaltech Swindle, and that's because I accidentaly received two.

If you really want another stepper, hlj has them on sale [2100 yen, around 15-18 euros].

Say, why buy two alternators? They won't be worth anything in the future because as stated, they are mostly purchased by adult collectors for display purposes. Unless the guy's house catches fire or his entire shelf comes crashing down, I doubt you'll ever see a C5 Shockwave, missing accessories and instructions.

And if you are willing to spend 40 pounds on two identical Alternators, at least buy the Binaltech version from the beginning.

Main point: G1 is over. You probably won't be able to ever get 200 dollars out of a 10 dollars toy. So you might just open your toys and enjoy them. And never buy duplicates unless you want to kitbash.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Orion1
Protoform

Post by Orion1 »

Thanks for the advice Knightdramon :)

I haven't kitbashed any figures yet, as I've never tried it, but maybe some time in the future.
"No matter the distance"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, to be honest apart from limited edition stuff, nothing across the board, not just TFs, is going to be worth as much as older stuff is. Everywhere, people have gone collector scalper nerd mad. Between this and the drop-of-a-hat nature of reissues [Optimus Prime reissues might be creeping up in price, but that's not the last we've seen of the toy] everything's pretty worthless. Fans and non-fans have been buying two of everything since RiD, so there are lofts and basements out there crammed with sealed 21st century Transformers. If you're collecting to fund future life, go for sealed 1980s stuff that won't be reissued - Shockwave is about the only particularly popular toy that fits in that bracket. Or better still, invest in property.
Orion1
Protoform

Post by Orion1 »

Thanks for the input Cliffjumper:)
"No matter the distance"
cocorubs
Protoform

Post by cocorubs »

I believe there was an adult by the name of, cocorubs, who asked that question a long time ago. ummm, yeah, that is his name. Anyhow, he got all of the re-issues, and asked the question, should you play with them or not? I, also, thought I might damage them or something like that.

This cocorubs fellow, still hasn't opened a single one. Well, he did open Soundwave Re-Issue, but never touched Soundwave, just put another G1 tape in the empty tape case that came with Soundwave, and closed the box exactly like he got it.

I got, I mean cocorubs got, Optimus Prime and Megatron Re-Issues, but the boxes had a little defect on the Optimus Prime re-issue, and the Megatron box, one of the velcros ripped off, due to cocorubs own fault.

Cocorubs got a Skids re-issue, and the box was dented so bad, because of UPS, but bbts took it back, and gave him another one out of the kindness that they are.

Cocorubs now owns all of the Book-Style re-issues, and has yet to open one of them. He even got the Predeking re-issue as a stand-alone, but re-issue by Takara none-the-less, and has not opened it. He also has Unicron and the cool looking Black Convoy, and has yet to open them. He also has a lot of the Hasbro re-issues.

Yet, cocorubs isn't happy, why? Because this 30 year old man, has a bunch of re-issues just sitting there, waiting to be played with and opened, yet they are just sitting there collecting dust.

Cocorubs has a 2 year old daughter, and he is afraid that she might damage them, but he also is afraid of collectability if he opens them?

Cocorubs can be happy, if he opens one, and plays with that one, then he will open more. He is waiting for later, though who knows when? He still hasn't decided when that time will come, if it will ever come. Meanwhile, his life is passing him by one day at a time, and he is missing out on playing with his prize collectables.

Get the moral of the story?

Money shouldn't be a factor when getting these re-issue, or any Transformer for that matter. You have kids, you share what you had as a child. If you are a child, then play by all means. Life is short, enjoy it right now. If you go, they will still be there, waiting for someone to open them up, and be played with.

Cocorubs still hasn't learned this moral, and they still sit, waiting, each day for that day when they will be released, and all fun will happen, but until then, another grain of dust settles on each box. Day, after day, after day.

:(
What's the use?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
If you're collecting to fund future life, go for sealed 1980s stuff that won't be reissued - Shockwave is about the only particularly popular toy that fits in that bracket.

Well, recently there was a rumor from a semi-reputable source about a Shockwave reissue, and we've been trying to find out whether the mold not being Takara property is actually true, or whether Takara managed to acquire the rights to the mold back in 1985 and forgot to tell anyone about it. I mean, after all, Laserwave was the only not-originally-designed-by-Takara mold that WAS released by Takara as a "Tatakae" toy. Did they obtain the license for the mold, but didn't do the same for Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx and Jetfire, or did they actually BUY the right to the molds after ToyCo went bankrupt or something?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hmmm, it'd be nice if they did, wouldn't it?

Okay, substitute "Roadbuster" for the example then, first removing the popular thing ;)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Originally posted by cocorubs
I believe there was an adult by the name of, cocorubs, who asked that question a long time ago. ummm, yeah, that is his name. Anyhow, he got all of the re-issues, and asked the question, should you play with them or not? I, also, thought I might damage them or something like that.

This cocorubs fellow, still hasn't opened a single one. Well, he did open Soundwave Re-Issue, but never touched Soundwave, just put another G1 tape in the empty tape case that came with Soundwave, and closed the box exactly like he got it.

I got, I mean cocorubs got, Optimus Prime and Megatron Re-Issues, but the boxes had a little defect on the Optimus Prime re-issue, and the Megatron box, one of the velcros ripped off, due to cocorubs own fault.

Cocorubs got a Skids re-issue, and the box was dented so bad, because of UPS, but bbts took it back, and gave him another one out of the kindness that they are.

Cocorubs now owns all of the Book-Style re-issues, and has yet to open one of them. He even got the Predeking re-issue as a stand-alone, but re-issue by Takara none-the-less, and has not opened it. He also has Unicron and the cool looking Black Convoy, and has yet to open them. He also has a lot of the Hasbro re-issues.

Yet, cocorubs isn't happy, why? Because this 30 year old man, has a bunch of re-issues just sitting there, waiting to be played with and opened, yet they are just sitting there collecting dust.

Cocorubs has a 2 year old daughter, and he is afraid that she might damage them, but he also is afraid of collectability if he opens them?

Cocorubs can be happy, if he opens one, and plays with that one, then he will open more. He is waiting for later, though who knows when? He still hasn't decided when that time will come, if it will ever come. Meanwhile, his life is passing him by one day at a time, and he is missing out on playing with his prize collectables.

Get the moral of the story?

Money shouldn't be a factor when getting these re-issue, or any Transformer for that matter. You have kids, you share what you had as a child. If you are a child, then play by all means. Life is short, enjoy it right now. If you go, they will still be there, waiting for someone to open them up, and be played with.

Cocorubs still hasn't learned this moral, and they still sit, waiting, each day for that day when they will be released, and all fun will happen, but until then, another grain of dust settles on each box. Day, after day, after day.

:(

Sorry man, I just don't see the point of spending all that money and not even opening your figures. By your 'collectability' ways, Soundwave is ruined. Just get him out and play.

And yes, money should be a factor for getting a re-issue. They're releasing one of the biggest bricks ever-Star Convoy, and they ask for 9000 yen or sth. That's just not right.

Furthermore, cut the lies. You're not really sharing with your daughter, since you said you said you're afraid of her damaging them. :p

I know members of this board have tried to change your mind, and I'll give it one last try.

You've spent 14.000 yen plus shipping for Predaking [and more than that, since I doubt you got him from hlj] and you keep him sealed? So in essence you've paid close to 230 dollars for a heavy box? Doesn't work that way.

If you're never, ever going to sell them, why keep them sealed? Let me tell you one thing: nobody will ever appreciate you more for collecting re-issues. Nobody will give a damn if you preserve the box in perfect shape but take out the figure to play with. Heck, if I had your collection, I'd be curious as to how most of them transform!

Clfifjumper, more examples: Skyfire, deluxe Insecticons, Skylynx...they even lost the rights to Computron since they sold the rights for the main body...you all know where ;)
Orion1
Protoform

Post by Orion1 »

So what you're basically trying to say is Knightdramon, is to take my takara reissue of Stepper out of the box, and put him on display in either robot or car mode next to my other transformers?
As I said before, the only reason he's still in the box because I can't find anywhere else that still sell him, plus the fact that he wasn't originally sold here in the UK, would that make much difference to his potential future value?
"No matter the distance"
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Stepper, on sale

I'm not trying to make anyone display all his transformers. I have lots of takara [and hasbro] transformers I don't display and keep them stored in their box for space reasons. But at least I opened them and enjoyed what I paid for.

Stuff include: RID Prime and Magnus, SL Superion, Energon Rodimus, Prowl, Hot Shot and Towline, BTs 2, 6, 8 [both], 9, 12, 14 and even THS Convoy. Most of them are fantastic toys. Heck, I even keep model kits in boxes [even after taking 5-6 hours to build] because of space limitations.

Potential future value is only valid if you want to sell him. And as Cliffjumper noted, you can invest in better things for future profitability. At max, how much do you think Stepper will cost? I bet he won't go for more than 40 bucks the most. You won\bought\found a G1 Pepsi Prime? Then by all means keep the thing sealed because it's worth about 800 bucks now.

Honestly, can we really say for certain how much they'll cost in the future when there's always the possibility of the crowd losing interest? What if in two years from now nobody likes transformers and no new merchandise come out?

I'm not asking anybody to open up all their MISB stuff and play with them. Cocorubs is afraid he'll damage them. Well dude, they are not made out of vaseline. You can pose a toy, transform it and all and still have it be in C9 condition.

It's just that I find it a bit pointless to spend money for a colourful box. These aren't jewels people. There are mass produced coloured plastic figures.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Originally posted by Orion1
So what you're basically trying to say is Knightdramon, is to take my takara reissue of Stepper out of the box, and put him on display in either robot or car mode next to my other transformers?
As I said before, the only reason he's still in the box because I can't find anywhere else that still sell him, plus the fact that he wasn't originally sold here in the UK, would that make much difference to his potential future value?

There's Richochet by the THOUSANDS in the US right now, with hordes at every TRU that I know of...

Besides, what's the point of 'MIB' anyway? As somone said, 'a slightly heavier box'? I never understood it - why spend all that money on 'fun stuff', and then never actually have fun with it?

Kind like spending $200 on a hooker just to look at her for a bit...
Orion1
Protoform

Post by Orion1 »

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
"No matter the distance"
cocorubs
Protoform

Post by cocorubs »

Predaking cost me 79.99. I got it from BBTS, and I live in the United States. shipping wasn't a lot for him.

In, no way, would I pay 260.00 for Predaking. That's much, much, much too steep of a price.

Your right about not letting my 2 year old near them. I did open the Hasbro Prowl re-issue, because I have the Takara one, so I let her play with it.

One day, I will open them, with her and play with them, however, just not at 2 years old. Perhaps she will love the cartoon, and then I will let her and I play with them.

I am 30 years old, have been married for 5 years so far, and my daughter will be 2 August 21st. I work full time, and go to college full time. I really don't have time to take them out, and have fun with them. I am just waiting till I have time. Grant it I couldn't go to school the summer because of my surgery and recovery, so I didn't even think about playing with them.

I am just glad to have them.

I want you all to know, I did open all 4 of my Alternators, and just gave them to my daughter to play with, and she has fun with them. I get satisfaction over her go vrooom!!! She loves to open the doors, so I haven't just kept everything in boxes, I broke down with Alternators.
What's the use?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I don't really believe you on the Predaking subject. Even with sales on mind, he's still over 150 dollars. It's insane to think that the guys at BBTS would cut its price in half. About shipping, you're correct.

You said you'd pay any prices for the re-issues, but you're backing off at 260 $ ? :p just kidding with you man

You can do whatever you want with your figures man, they are your money. But anybody can take 10 minutes to open a figure and just transform it to see how it is at any given moment. I'm not talking about playing.

Just my two cents. [yes, now we europeans can say that too]
Orion1
Protoform

Post by Orion1 »

At 22 years old, I don't play with any of my transformers, I just leave them in their alt modes or transform them into robot mode, then pose them. Some of the reason why I have doubles of some of the alternators is because I like them in both modes, the only doubles I have are of Silverstreak and Shockblast, because I like both of the car's they're based on.
"No matter the distance"
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Knightdramon
I don't really believe you on the Predaking subject.

I think he meant 179.99, not 79.99.
cocorubs
Protoform

Post by cocorubs »

I am aiming to get what I had when I was little. I wish the Stunticons would come out in a package. I would definitely get that for $199.99 at the most. Crazy!! Dang Right!!!

I wasn't thinking about the price of Predaking wasn't he 79.99 when he first came out?

Oh, wait, I found out what I paid for an order I made with Predaking and some others, and the shipping for all of those items as well. This might help solve what I paid for him. This is from the order confirmation.

Item # Toy Line Description Quantity Price
dw038 Transmanual TransManual Parts & Figure Guide - Part 1 1 $21.99
tf355s Transformers Hasbro Alternators - Hound Standard Grade 1 $19.99
tf377s Transformers D-78 Re-Issue Predaking Giftset Standard Grade 1 $166.99

SubTotal: $208.97
Shipping: $6.49
Total: $215.46

So, I didn't even approach $260.00 for Predaking including the Shipping because I ordered all of the others with that order also.

Pretty good shipping price, huh? I have always had cheap shipping with BBTS for some reason?

I would have paid up to $199.99 at the most.
What's the use?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

You paid 6.49 for shipping because it's flat rate for Americans

Meaning you can buy fifty billion figures and still pay 6.49 for the order. No such thing for europeans.

:mad:

And I agree with you Orion. I'm 17 [5 years younger] and can't picture myself playing with tfs. I'm a bit over that, and just the thought of how quickly the joints will be stressed...shudders. As for doubles...I prefer transforming a single bot than having a duplicate on display. That way I transform them whenever I want and have a transforming robot instead of two static models. That's just me of course.

Stunticons? The originals are neat and lame at the same time. I'd take my BT Dead End over them at any given time. I feel you though; I'm aiming to get them all, but in BT format.

Finally, Predaking was never 80 dollars. You paid the starting price [at BBTS always-much more expensive than retail].