Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Aardvark

Stormbringer #3 5-Page Preview + Hot Rod Art Du Jour

Post by Aardvark »

-Alex???
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Both look aces.

Since it's suggested by the solicit that Hot Rod's mission isn't going to end well, I wonder whether he'll learn from it or be a Hal Jordan "no fear" type.

Lots to look forward to.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Why the Hell did I stick through Infil****ingtration and am now totally unable to summon up the desire to buy Stormbringer? :(

Someone lie and tell me Major Mo's in it.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

You know, it is really bothering the crap out of me that these guys are doing the same crap that DW did. Even though I've purchased every single thing they've been putting out, I still feel like I have no idea what the hell is going on! :confused:

It's like there is this whole story out there that I somehow just missed.

And would it seriously kill them to at least name these TFs? Just once...somewhere...so I can go back and reference that one panel that says who's who.

<sigh>

As cool as these stories are, I am just constantly feeling lost. The War Within series did the same thing.

Does anyone out there know what's going on? Did I actually miss something?

Okay...I've vented, I feel better. :)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Brimstone
Does anyone out there know what's going on?

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/stormbringer1a.php

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/stormbringer2a.php

You don't need to know character names to follow what's going on, though... an Autobot science team has been captured by a group of Decepticons with an insane plan. Everyone else is trying to stop them, because what happened the last time almost destroyed Cybertron.

I've probably got some of the names of backgrounders wrong as well.
DCJosh
Protoform

Post by DCJosh »

right

i mean, its just like when transformers first came out in the 80s. new characters would be popping up all over the place. people going "ZOMG WTF IS HAPPENING! WHO IS THIS TRACKS GUY?!?!?!"

theres nothing really to know. these are all virtually new characters to everybody so just gotta take 'em in as they come. Dont know who bludgeon is? read the mini and you'll have a good idea as to his character in this universe. same could be said for a lot of the other characters too

thats the thing i really like about this continuity. Is they're all familiar characters to a certain extent, but since everythings re-imagined you honestly dont know how these characters will act until you pick up the titles and read
-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

I should clarify:

That was two seperate complains. 1) I would prefer to know who these folks are. 2) I wish they'd stop writing stories in such a way as to ellude to the fact that I'm missing part of the story.

I like that they give the world history and depth and what not, but it bothers me that I feel like I should know what they heck they're talking about with this Thunderwing character (who for the longest time I just thought was the Fallen guy all over again).

I guess I'm just not diggin' the writing style of Stormbringer.

After reading your reviews, though, you are certainly grasping the story better than I am. I wonder why I'm having such a hard time with this one. :(
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

elude to the fact that I'm missing part of the story
It's more that there's additional stuff in there for people who kept up with Transformers after 1986.

As Josh said though, these aren't quite the same as the previous characters, so even knowing more we can only compare. I think if nothing else it's emphasising well that there are a lot more Transformers than the few stationed on Earth.

For instance, you can get that Springer is a seasoned leader of a special ops team, has been doing it for a while, and pick up any jokes in the dialogue. Those who've read the old comics saw him as a green recruit (no pun intended) who made some questionable judgements and was generally inexperienced, so the difference adds a little interest.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

So do you know what this previous story with Thunderwing is? I mean, is that something from the post cartoon '80s comics?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

DCJosh
Protoform

Post by DCJosh »

the whole thunderwing deal has nothing to do with any stories involving a "Thunderwing" from past stories

in all honesty, nobody really doesnt know much about what happened. but thats why you read the books, because they go more into what happened, who thunderwing is and all that
-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by DCJosh
in all honesty, nobody really doesnt know much about what happened. but thats why you read the books, because they go more into what happened, who thunderwing is and all that
I understand that. But when I'm reading this (and War Within, too) I always feel like I missed something. I never feel like "I wonder what's going on, I can't wait to the next issue so I can find out" like I do with other stories. It's more like, "crud...I need to get on eBay and find out what I missed."

Now that I know it's not something I missed, it's just more of the writing style for this particular series (which is strange, because the Beast Wars mini-series was also written by Furman, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, it was definately more of the "I wonder what's going on, I can't wait for the next issue so I can find out" feeling).

Ah well...I keep reading this one, but to be honest, I'm more looking forward to Escalation than I am the rest of this series.

I don't know...I'm not doing a good job of describing the feeling I get from this. Sorry.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

So do you know what this previous story with Thunderwing is? I mean, is that something from the post cartoon '80s comics?
The major event of the first lot of original US comics, in fact.

http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/index.php?s=us_61_70*

Whereas the Thunderwing in Stormbringer appears to be more of a mad scientist than a mad warlord.

*Wow, I forget how awful the covers are. The UK printing looked better.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Personally I'm enjoying the IDW stuff much more the the DW series'. For one thing, theres seems to atleast be a linear time line, with events in Infiltration (subtly) linking to those in Stormbringer. Secondly we have a continuity that doesnt go out of its was to contradict itself, doing away with raised eyebrows and many, many 'hang on's'...this is just my opinion, but am I the only one who finds it easy to follow?

Thats my two pence.
Thanks to StoneCold Skywarp for the Sig
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

One thing I certainly didn't like about DW was how events were spread into explanations in profiles series, or raised until someone felt like incorporating them (eg, Vol. 2 preview, Vol. 3 moving away from the revelations in G1v2#6.)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Someone lie and tell me Major Mo's in it.

Major Mo's in it.

And every issue comes with a free Lalla Ward covered in jam.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by Denyer
The major event of the first lot of original US comics, in fact.
Hmm...bummer.

Thanks for the info though!
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone