Dunno where this should go, but...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Sir Auros

Dunno where this should go, but...

Post by Sir Auros »

...the following individuals/organizations need to stop having their asses kissed constantly.

1 - Takara - No, Japan is not the center of all cool in the universe and neither is Takara.

2 - Pat Lee - Ugh, fanboys. :rant:

3 - Simon Furman - Ugh, fanboys. ;)

The following individuals/organizations need to stop being constantly berated.

1 - Hasbro - Boo-f*cking-hoo, they shortened Prime's smokestacks. At least you're getting one released here you whiney bitches.

2 - Beast Wars - I can't believe people still go on about how the G1 cartoon is superior to Beast Wars. It boggles the mind.

3 - Dreamwave (in general) - The potential's there and while not everything they do is great or even good, they have had a few decent, average series and are getting better.

Disclaimer - I'm not targeting anyone specific to these boards with this list, just general trends in the fandom that really irritate the crap outta me. As someone said, "The worst part of the Transformers fandom are the fans."
Strafe

Re: Dunno where this should go, but...

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by Sir Auros

2 - Pat Lee - Ugh, fanboys. :rant:

Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Nothing is really superior. Its all relative to time. Japan has been cool cause they have samurais that used to chop off your head if you bowed wrong.
Don't know if BW is better or not, only time will tell. Remember its not about being Siskel or Ebert when it comes to a cartoon. Put any young kid in front of either show and see which one he picks.

Dollars wanted is all I can say.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I like Takara because they don't have to follow the same safety rules as Hasbro. This leads to them releasing G1 Megatron and keeping G1 Optimus Prime's smokestacks at full length. Being a G1 fan, this is great in my opinion.

As for Hasbro, I don't mind buying other TFs from them but I don't like how they have to follow the rediculous safety rules like chopping Prime's stacks. Prime's stacks being short isn't my nostalgia and if that makes me a fanboy and/or you vehemently disagree or don't like me for that, then please take your opinion and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Thank you.

Pat Lee - I don't know anything about the guy. His art looks good to me and looks better than anything I can do, so I won't bash him.

Simon Furman - What did he do again?

Beast Wars - I liked G1 and BW, but I have to admit that BW is definitely the better show because of the plot, the characterization, and the better art.

Dreamwave - Their art looks great. I don't read comics so I don't know what their plots are like.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Civ
I like Takara because they don't have to follow the same safety rules as Hasbro. This leads to them releasing G1 Megatron and keeping G1 Optimus Prime's smokestacks at full length. Being a G1 fan, this is great in my opinion.

As for Hasbro, I don't mind buying other TFs from them but I don't like how they have to follow the rediculous safety rules like chopping Prime's stacks. Prime's stacks being short isn't my nostalgia and if that makes me a fanboy and/or you vehemently disagree or don't like me for that, then please take your opinion and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Thank you.

They have to follow those restrictions whether the fanboys want it or not and I get sick of people bitching about how much Hasbro sucks and Takara is better because a toy company has to follow toy safety regulations to release toys. If you've whined about how much Hasbro sucks for releasing Prime with shortened stacks (in order to release a toy that complies with US toy safety standards and prevent litigation), then I'd be inclined to call you a fanboy and tell you to shove your illogical whining where the sun doesn't shine as well. It's one thing to prefer one version of the toy to another, but you can't fault a toy company for doing what they have to do instead of catering to the whiney, ingrate fanboys.

Also, let's look at some pictures of Optimus Prime...

Now, one of either of those should be your "nostalgic" image of Optimus Prime, and really, neither of them have stacks much longer than the Hasbro version and the Takara version's seems to sport the longer stacks that have become the norm in fanart and DW comics. I never recalled Prime having stacks that were that long anywhere other than the original toy and now in the DW comics. The 20th anniversary version's stacks are about the same size, but the thinner part of the stack isn't as long and thicker part comes up higher, past his shoulders.
Civ

Post by Civ »

In those images, the stacks' tops are above the shoulders and not chopped off level with them; hence, why I prefer the Takara version of G1 Prime to Hasbro's.

It's not Hasbro's fault at all that they have to follow the safety regulations. If they didn't, they couldn't release their toys and that's obvious. I'm just not happy with the safety regulations themselves. Any other company that releases toys in America would have to follow the same ones.

Do I have to be happy with Hasbro's version? No, I don't see that written in stone anywhere but I know it's not their fault. They want to release one of their most popular figures ever again and they have to adjust to the times. Do I bother whining about it? Nope, I have a Hasbro version and I play with him fairly often but I would prefer him to have the longer stacks. One day, I'll get my longer stacked version of Prime, I just have to save and wait for my opportunity on e-bay. Either that, or I'll order longer stacks from KCC and just install them to my current Prime figure.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Civ
In those images, the stacks' tops are above the shoulders and not chopped off level with them; hence, why I prefer the Takara version of G1 Prime to Hasbro's.
Err, the US version doesn't have the stacks chopped off level with the shoulders...

It's not Hasbro's fault at all that they have to follow the safety regulations. If they didn't they couldn't release their toys and that's obvious. I'm just not happy with the safety regulations themselves. Any other company that releases toys in America would have to follow the same ones.
You'd be surprised how many people cannot understand this concept. The regulations have to be there though to prevent all the dumbass lawsuits that make this country what it is.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Err, the US version doesn't have the stacks chopped off level with the shoulders...

I was referring to the original G1 Prime (the Hasbro re-issue), not the Masterpiece. My Hasbro re-issue has his stacks level with his shoulders.

So some people can't realize the safety regulations aren't Hasbro's fault? That's just sad.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Civ
So some people can't realize the safety regulations aren't Hasbro's fault? That's just sad.

Irritating as hell too. People seriously blame Hasbro and say it sucks because of it...
Civ

Post by Civ »

Well that's a whole new ballgame then. With those people, well...I suppose we'll just have to explain their misunderstanding of how safety regulations work and how it isn't Hasbro's fault.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Great topic...

Hasbro v Takara is something that's pissed me off for a year, plus. I'd say 99% of our regulars are under Hasbro's distribution, which means you get a rose-tinted view of Takara's output. I hate the way everything bad is attributed to Hasbro, and everything good to Takara. Repaints, for a start, have been done more so by Takara than Hasbro, and Takara should shoulder most of the blame for the iffy Armada moulds. The reissues and copyright name-changes are really beyond their control... so they lost the rights to the name of so-and-so in 1995? What do you want them to do about it? By it back, with the figure probably suffering a mark-up as a result to cover the fee? Not reissue the toy? Or just to give it an arbitrary name, as we'll all refer to Rodimus Major as Hot Rod anyway?

Hasbro are the reason we have Transformers. I don't care who designed the original moulds. Diaclone died on its arse everywhere but Japan. It's entirely thanks to Hasbro putting mythos and marketing, including two accessable forms of media, into Transformers that this board is here. It's thanks to them you've got Transformers to buy now. It's thanks to them sticking to Transformers through thick and thin that we have new figures, reissues, the lot. Sure, Takara may come up with ideas first, and may do a lot of the bitchwork. I'm not saying Takara are worthless leeches or something. But Hasbro could have not bothered with reissues, or Alternators, or anything else, and you'd have to pay tons for them on import. If you think the prices for the Japanese items would be as low as they are without Hasbro producing similar items, you're very wrong.

Simon Furman... isn't getting a tenth of the acclaim he was before he came back mainstream... He's Chris Claremont for Transformers. He did some damn good stuff back in the day, and he's still the best writer with any considerable body of work to write for Transformers, by a massive margin. But some of his recent work could have been written by anyone...

You all know how I feel about Pat, and I think it's probably best for both parties that he's become bored with Transformers.

Dreamwave... I won't lay off. I appreciate that they're doing good by taking the license, and they have a lot of talented people onoard. But too much of their shortfallings come from the way they operate as a company. It's Image marketing. I don't really want to go into anti-Dreamwave all over again in this topic as there are bits all over G1. They've done some good stuff [though to be honest nothing really great], some average stuff, and some terrible stuff. Too many bad decisions are being made at high levels in the company.

Can we have this moved to G1 so it doesn't attract GD spam please?
Denyer

Re: Dunno where this should go, but...

Post by Denyer »

1 - Takara - No, Japan is not the center of all cool in the universe and neither is Takara.
They have given us a large number of the decent TF designs, however.
Simon Furman - Ugh, fanboys.
Was a junior writer, who managed to hold two continuities together, one of which had to serve as a subset of the other. I defy anyone to suggest a feasible editing alternative.
1 - Hasbro - Boo-f*cking-hoo, they shortened Prime's smokestacks. At least you're getting one released here you whiney bitches.
Are we?
3 - Dreamwave (in general) - The potential's there and while not everything they do is great or even good, they have had a few decent, average series and are getting better.
Considering the amount of source material they had to work with, they could ill afford to screw up. I suspect the ongoing is a step too far. Sales will fall off because the less hardcore completists will tail off their purchases. Whereas a mini-series sells to the last issue, an ongoing faces other pressures.

And yeah, this is broadly 'G1'... *moves*
Sir Auros

Re: Re: Dunno where this should go, but...

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Denyer
Not unless you've been buying/importing their Transformers, because ultimately Hasbro's been the one actually selling us the designs. Tom already nailed this one.
Was a junior writer, who managed to hold two continuities together, one of which had to serve as a subset of the other. I defy anyone to suggest a feasible editing alternative.
Doesn't make him live up to the hype that fanboys have built up for him.
Are we?
The people who are relevant (ie-bitching about it) to this topic are...
Considering the amount of source material they had to work with, they could ill afford to screw up. I suspect the ongoing is a step too far. Sales will fall off because the less hardcore completists will tail off their purchases. Whereas a mini-series sells to the last issue, an ongoing faces other pressures.
I very seriously doubt that. While many of the DW comics thus far have been mediocre, they're still sadly on the level of most comics these days. Also, since when is average bad? The whole "they have so much to work with" argument doesn't really stick with me because it creates unrealistic expectations for the team to meet.

Let's say I'm good at one type of fiction and someone asks me to start writing some fiction in an entirely different genre. Let's say this material had a large following in the past and there's plenty of source material. I have the necessary tools for the medium (writing skills), but not necessarily the experience in the specific genre. I just think it would take some time for DW to adjust to writing TF comics. The first 30+ comics in the US run were far worse than anything DW's put out so far and it didn't really get good until near the end.

People were denouncing DW before the end of its first miniseries and I think that kept them from finding any worth in anything else the company's put out since. It's unreasonable to expect DW to have learned from their mistakes within their first outing, and they have improved greatly on many of their mistakes in their other material. Armada was a decent series, both TWWs have been good so far, and even G1 Vol. 2 fixed some of the major problems I had with the first volume.
Cliffjumper

Re: Re: Dunno where this should go, but...

Post by Cliffjumper »

And some of the worst - original Megatron, the Decepticon jet, Brawn, the Powerdashers, Leokaiser, Road Caesar. And that's just off the top of my head, and the ones which can be firmly pinned to Takara... And then there's their repaints. They're as bad as Hasbro for ****ty, cash-in repaints, it's just the fanboys don't see them clogging up the shelves in their local Toys R Us. And don't get me started on some of their reissues... If Hasbro reissued a figure every six months or so, with each version slightly more desirable than the last, there'd be a fatwah out, minimum. On top of that, they were the first to introduce Transformers to ideas such as randomly packaged figures, block-coloured variants, chase figures, premiums and mixing chase figures in with normal ones.

Don't get me wrong. They both do a lot of good, and they both do a lot of bad. But one, because it's Japanese and Japan is k3wl and far away and the land where cartoons are called anime, comics are called manga and having either at age 30 doesn't sometimes make people steer clear of you at parties, whereas the other gets the **** kicked out of it for making money [which is the point of being a business, unless it's some crap film about a kindly moralistic lawyer or some rubbish].

When Takara do something, even if it's packaging a random chase steaming turd in every 300 reissues, they're doing it for the fans. When Hasbro do it, they're cashing in because Hasblow suXX0r d00d.
Sir Auros

Re: Re: Re: Dunno where this should go, but...

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Don't get me wrong. They both do a lot of good, and they both do a lot of bad. But one, because it's Japanese and Japan is k3wl and far away and the land where cartoons are called anime, comics are called manga and having either at age 30 doesn't sometimes make people steer clear of you at parties, whereas the other gets the **** kicked out of it for making money [which is the point of being a business, unless it's some crap film about a kindly moralistic lawyer or some rubbish].

When Takara do something, even if it's packaging a random chase steaming turd in every 300 reissues, they're doing it for the fans. When Hasbro do it, they're cashing in because Hasblow suXX0r d00d.

:)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Semi on-topic, want to see my abandoned Furman essay for my site? It was getting a bit scary and I was getting close to threatening his family? ;)

Furman, like Takara and Hasbro, did a lot fo good stuff. Like Denyer said, being able to [by and large] merge the continuities. His work on the US book, and G2, is possibly a large factor in why DW are able to sell their comics full-stop... a lot of internet buzz about the quality of Transformers comics probably made a few people who wouldn't have done buck up... And that's without the characterisation and ideas he gave to the series...

But... he shouldn't be revered. He's a one-trick pony, and much of his DW stuff has big parallels to Claremont's turn of the century X-Men stuff. Fanboys shouldn't explain anything with "but Simon said this...". He's produced one decent story-arc for Dreamwave. He's just in it for the money now.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not unless you've been buying/importing their Transformers, because ultimately Hasbro's been the one actually selling us the designs. Tom already nailed this one.
I couldn't give a toss who sells me something in a shop, so who sends it to the shop is even more irrelevant. The talent that goes into its creation is of far more interest to me.
Doesn't make him live up to the hype that fanboys have built up for him.
Hype? I don't believe anyone who builds their 'arguments' on assertions. I do consider Furman to be amongst the top-five ideas people to have worked on Transformers fiction... to say nothing of his planning skills. It's a miracle that things turned out as cohesively as they did.

Mind you, I consider it an even bigger miracle that there aren't more major holes in the US animated show.
since when is average bad? The whole "they have so much to work with" argument doesn't really stick with me because it creates unrealistic expectations for the team to meet.
Average is bad when I'm paying money for anything which doesn't r0xx0r my s0xx0r. There is a lot of other quality literature out there to be explored and enjoyed, most of which isn't comics. I don't think "ah, nothing particularly good this month, but I'll buy some comics anyway" ... I find something more worthwhile to read.
Let's say I'm good at one type of fiction and someone asks me to start writing some fiction in an entirely different genre.
Then they'd be an idiot to approach you rather than someone who had experience writing in that genre.
The first 30+ comics in the US run were far worse than anything DW's put out so far
Not. A. Chance.
People were denouncing DW before the end of its first miniseries
That's because it was ****. Really, there isn't any need to go further than the quick capsule review.
I think that kept them from finding any worth in anything else the company's put out since.
Hardly. TWW was so-so, TWW: DA is enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to James Raiz on volume 3.
It's unreasonable to expect DW to have learned from their mistakes within their first outing
It isn't. Do you have anything to back this assertion up? Reams of existing source material and a post-it note on top with "don't use the matrix too much, you'll look like an ignorant fanboy" written on it... what more do they need?
G1 Vol. 2 fixed some of the major problems I had with the first volume.
I even went to the trouble of tracking down the end of the story after giving up on it early on. It was TF-fiction-by-numbers. With references to old stories laid on with a trowel. And ominous yet entirely unresolved plot points such as Shockwave being responsible for the Ark crash. Where the hell did he pull that one from? We already know that Mick would prefer to regard Vol.1 as an addled dream recounted by Daniel. In the history of retcons and salvage, Vol.2 was fight-fight-exposition. Nothing new to see.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

And some of the worst
Absolutely. And bollocks are they always acting in the best interests of fans. As the people who did such an influential slice of the toy designs, though, I know who I have more respect for. As regards a Japanese influence, the initial designs for characters were far beyond those of most properties seen in Western animation.

I don't particularly credit Hasbro with the backstory, since they appear to have largely left Marvel to their own devices there.
he shouldn't be revered.
Of course he shouldn't. The enjoyment I get from recent Furman, though, isn't his tendency to throw in overarching plots (especially given his similar tendency to provide fairly little resolution)... it's the character dialogue. Provided he lays off using Grimlock in the next mini-series, I think I'll be happy.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I couldn't give a toss who sells me something in a shop, so who sends it to the shop is even more irrelevant. The talent that goes into its creation is of far more interest to me.
I guess there's just no reasoning with you here if it's not getting through...you wouldn't be able to get any Transformers if Hasbro hadn't marketed them outside of Japan.
Not. A. Chance.
Have you read the first 30 US comics? They're terrible and at least the DW series is entertaining. I don't understand why people take DW to task for the insane amount of TFTM references when the first issues of the Marvel run with chock full of useless name-dropping and ability-naming as a way of introducing characters. No, I can look at the first 30 or so Marvel comics that I collected years before DW and then at the new DW stuff and say, "These Dreamwave comics are better." Doesn't mean they aren't full of flaws quite often, but they aren't as lame as many of those Marvels.
That's because it was ****. Really, there isn't any need to go further than the quick capsule review.
Ok, so you're saying you're going to pass judgement on someone's work before they have a chance to learn the ropes? Glad I'd never have to work for you...
It isn't. Do you have anything to back this assertion up? Reams of existing source material and a post-it note on top with "don't use the matrix too much, you'll look like an ignorant fanboy" written on it... what more do they need?
Again, that's judging way too early on. Did you really expect them to, in the middle of issue 2 or 3 of Vol. 1, track down all the fan input and change everything they had in the pipeline for that miniseries? Throw out all their work, start anew while still holding some continuity from the middle of their miniseries and then piss people off more by delaying the second half?

I still think the problem remains that nothing will ever live up to peoples' rose-tinted views of the old Marvel comics.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I don't particularly credit Hasbro with the backstory, since they appear to have largely left Marvel to their own devices there.

Ah, I was more thinking it was Hasbro who actually got up off their arses and said "hey, these robots aren't bad... let's give them a bit more than a Macross rip-off as a back-story", rather than crediting them with, say, Soundwave. Though they probably made the move for sentient robots...

As for Furman, his conclusions have often been a bit rubbish... at the very least, a mild let down. I think that's more of a me thing, though, as I'm starting to read more TPBs than individual comics - you tend to feel it's more of a story, rather than five good issues then a bad one. Like I say, a 'me' thing.

Sadly, I get the impression he's on autopilot because DW are afraid of backlash if they kick Mr Furman Transformers Genius Guy up the arse and tell him to come up with a new plot. About the only things of his from DW that have really had be jumping for joy have been "Worlds Collide" [which, technically, he ****ed up with #18 anyway] and WW:DA, which I'm not holding my breath with... to be honest, I'm of the outlook that there's good, and often strikingly similar, characterisation and dialogue in his Marvel stuff [it's amazing that DW can't use, say, Xaaron, but can let Simon lift whole paragraphs, eh? ;)], so it's more the plots and ideas that hook me... There have been some great ones for me, but the thing with a mini-series is that it needs a decent ending... WW V1 #6 undermined so much of the good work done in the first three issues, and my copy still has ash pressed between the pages from when I threw it in the bin after I first read it... that's how bad I thought that comic was.

Oh, and scary borderline psycho rant on Furman, written about three months ago after too much Pro-Plus: -

As some of you may know if you've seen my comments on his work since he began working for Dreamwave, I think Simon Furman's writing has taken something of a dive. I'm going to try to explain why the guy I regularly laud as not only the very best Transformers writer of all time (Antoni Zalowski does better on percentages, but it's hardly fair to compare a rough guess of 150+ stories to two), but also rank in my top 10 comic writers, alongside the likes of Peter David, Kurt Busiek, Warren Ellis and Mark Waid, is getting such a hard time from me.

But it hasn't all just gone wrong overnight, as it were. Casting an eye back over Furman's Marvel work, the real cracks start to show around 1988, around "Time Wars". "Time Wars", the all-conquering classic with plot holes you could fit Pat Lee's ego through that somehow gets by as around half-a-dozen extras [extras they are, whatever complex personalities tech specs, profiles, fanfics and general 'I always thought Twin Twist was kinda hardcore' conjecture has extrapolated onto the Wreckers and Mayhems] die in a violent manner. The thing's so rushed it gets worse on each reading... By the last issue Springer and Carnivac, who carry most of the story for three quarters of the way, aren't even in it. They just disappear. What the Hell is Magnus' condition? Where on Earth are most of Prime's troops? Leaving aside the ones that disappear at random intervals [Scattershot, Ironhide, Wheeljack, Goldbug, Hoist], you think he'd ring the Ark, what with universal armageddon bearing down and all...

But I'm getting off-point. I'm not saying everything before "Time Wars" by Furman was superb - "Christmas Breaker", "The Enemy Within" and "Worlds Apart" [the kind of story Budiansky's crucified for] all make Baby Jesus cry. On the flip-side, after "Time Wars", there are still some classic UK stories, such as "The Fall and Rise of the Decepticon Empire", "The Big Shutdown" and "Deathbringer". But after "Time Wars" it just gets lazy. More often than not, the black & white stories are lazy, and speed-written. Earthforce, for example, is a promising premise, lost in lazy continuity, and a seeming need to have any decent story arcs (e.g. the trio of Survivors cycles) counterweighted by variable 'comedy' efforts. And then the thing just ends. And there's Thunderwing's mini-arc on his rise to leadership, which can only really be favoured by anyone because it has Thunderwing in it. The thing can be summed up as Thunderwing scares some kids, beats up some eighth-rate Decepticons, attacks the Ark, runs away from the Ark and is then given Decepticon leadership. Think about that. Silly, isn't it?

Of course, Furman's commitment to the UK book was clearly waning for another reason - the higher exposure of the US comic. Now, Furman's Marvel US run is nowhere near as good as people will have you believe. While US #69-78 are pretty well handled, and stand up well to repeat reading, the rest is much more mixed. The initial arc, from US #56-60, is bloody terrible, and doesn't compare well to most of Furman's previous work, or much of Budiansky's up to the mid-20s before he stopped caring. Heck, it doesn't compare well to the Underbase Saga, one of the worst story arcs in the Marvel TF output. And Bob's blatantly mucking around by there. But what's that you say? Jose Delbo? Nice try, but explain why "Enemy Within" was so damn good with that crazy John Ridgway art. Good enough scripting can shine through bad art. It might not make a great, or even good comic, but you can look at the writing and say "that'd be a great story if someone with hand-to-eye coordination wrote it". Not so with that first arc. A Doctor Doom-esque escape and resurrection for Megatron, the Noble Sacrifice™, some massive leaps of logic... It gets a little better for #61, "Primal Scream". "Primal Scream" is behind only #75 as my all time favourite Transformers comic book. To explain what I mean by that, I mean as a package. It's an issue to leave on the coffee table when friends come round. Thanks to Geoff Senior, it looks bloody glorious. It's Transformers as eye candy, with clarity and expressionism all the boffo-socko computer colouring and digital composition in the world couldn't equal. It even looks good after Nel Yomtov, who coloured seven years' worth of TF comics because no other bugger wanted him ruining their hard work, can't ruin it. But the story? One part super-exposition, one-part heroic inspiration cliché.

Then starts the Matrix Quest. The first part, "Bird of Prey" [US #62], is a good laugh. Nothing more, nothing less. A fun pastiche with a dynamic leading character, well drawn and snappily written. Then we have probably the two weakest TF stories Furman ever did for Marvel. "Kings of the Wild Frontier", a screamingly obvious Twilight Zone rip-off with the cardboard cut-out Triggerbots ['They're a bit mad, but stick together', kinda like Force Works. Remember them? No.]. And then we get Longtooth in yet another silly, predictable pastiche. I make that three pastiches from three. We then get a fourth, as "Dark Creation" openly cribs from the already derivative Alien saga. Even without the in-jokes, it's about as subtle as a Budiansky story title. That said, the thing has a certain amount of atmosphere, and is fairly tense and well-written. The conclusion of the Matrix Quest comes in #66, and to be honest it's one big fight with the old "Target 2006"/"Time Wars" motif of 'everyone pile on the invincible baddie until something like allies from the future or a timestorm turns up'. Now, I like Nightbeat. I love the way he gets to save the day. I love the way he acts while doing it. I love it when someone who doesn't have the biggest, flashest toy in the range does something cool. But does it not bother anyone that the nigh-omnipotent Creation Matrix is taken down by a bloody harpoon? Even Devastator never got taken down by a harpoon.

Moving on then, we have "Rhythyms of Darkness". An alternate universe story which for the first dozen pages is atmospheric, foreboding and generally doom-laden. Until the Autobots make their Last Stand™. And we get exactly the same problem as in all those Marvel "What If?" comics where half-a-dozen or so heroes survive some huge war. How on Earth did this lot survive this long?
I've actually cut sooo much of that to stop people thinking I'm insane.