Transformers: Heart of Darkness #1-4 / Vol. 4 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Transformers: Heart of Darkness #1-4 / Vol. 4 TPB

Post by Neuronutter »

Transformers Heart of Darkness #1 was out this week so reviews please. Brought to you by Dan Adnett and Andy Lanning, with art by Ulises Farinas.

So anyone get this? Any good?
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

It was okay. Didn't quite like the art, very sloppy faces, and the story seemed kind of slapped together from the pieces of Revelations strewn about in a barely sensical fashion.

But at least it attempts to pick up on the very interesting Dead Universe/Anti-Matrix thread that was essentially abandoned since Simon was off the title. And that's a good thing.

Cyclonus seems....weak. Quite a departure from Furman's take on him. Given that D&A are rather new, I'm willing to let this discrepancy slide. I mean, it wasn't Jazz shooting a human, so why complain, right?

Give it a B-. Could lead to new and exciting things.
Terome

Post by Terome »

A lot of potential here - apart from some/a lot quite markedly weird and awkwardly rendered robots, I found the art pretty groovy. What bothered me more than the robots were the cheap Photoshop effects on the sphere-thing and whatnot. But hey, it's good to have a guy who can actually draw backgrounds and environments.

Galvatron as a character is straight out of 2000AD - he's got a big gun, a frazzled moral compass, a mission of some sort and knows exactly what to do and how to do it. He's a welcome appendage of this bizarre pile of a continuity.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I found the art too jumpy in style. Some of the faces galvatron pulls are just stupid looking. Although I did like the alt mode. The issue itself isnt terrible and it might be an interesting way to draw a line under the dead universe. For a first issue in a 4/5 part series it felt a bit subdued but I'm curious where its going. Also, I have to say I like an issue where it feels its the characters who are moving the plot along.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Although I did like the alt mode.
Yeah! I thought it was a legitimately fresh take on Galvatron's configuration. And I like the idea that Transformers would actually, you know, change their alt mode around depending on the circumstances. A trundling cannon or tank isn't much good when you're covering a lot of ground on a dead world.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Hmmm. Didn't particularly enjoy this, but then the horrible art was probably a factor in that. The biggest thing about this is that I didn't really care. Galvatron is on Gorlam Prime? So what. Arcee and Hardhead are back? Don't care. Also Galvatron's alt mode is horrendous. Who designed that?

I do like the visiting of old forgotten threads and the knowlege of continuity. I just hope this mini does something a little more interesting as right now I'm bored. So the Heart of Darkness is the anti-matrix? And wouldn't Scourge and Cyclonus have perished after so long outside of the DU? There seem to be as many little errors as there are nice nods to continuity. As I said: hmmmm.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

There seem to be as many little errors
I think its more a case of sorting out errors. As for the not caring, well fair enough. But after Infestation, Galvatron came across as an interesting and fun character and I'm quite happy to follow his pirate crew across the galaxy.

Although I am hoping to see a bit more of the bat-shit insane Glavatron. This moody start is a little disappointing.

But how can you not like Galvs alt mode? Nicely different, not a cannon, not quite a tank! I like its batmobile-like build.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Red Dave Prime wrote:I think its more a case of sorting out errors. As for the not caring, well fair enough. But after Infestation, Galvatron came across as an interesting and fun character and I'm quite happy to follow his pirate crew across the galaxy.
The annoying thing is that I want to care. I want to like the issue and Galvy's quest, but reading it I was bored. I'll still read the rest of the series and hope it grabs me.
Red Dave Prime wrote:Although I am hoping to see a bit more of the bat-shit insane Glavatron. This moody start is a little disappointing.
Yeah, I was decidedly underwhelmed.
Red Dave Prime wrote:But how can you not like Galvs alt mode? Nicely different, not a cannon, not quite a tank! I like its batmobile-like build.
I'm not sure it was the alt mode. It was probably the art more than anything.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Oh the art is terrible alright. Galvatron looks almost cute in some panels.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Interesting lead-ups, but horrible arts. Great in some places, but most of the time they look like stick figures wearing chunky armour. That panel where Galvatron looks at the ball of teleportation matter looks like it came out of a chibi comic. The reformatting scene is also horrible. Any panel with Arcee and/or Cyclonus have their faces looking like ugly malformed shite.

It's a nice gesture to give closure to everything related to the Dead Universe, but if IDW has to resort to doing this in the future instead of, you know, covering loose ends in where it's supposed to be covered, well... not that IDW's doing anything correct anyway nowadays.

Lots of horrible inconsistencies (although mainly due to the artist never reading the comics prior to this) but otherwise the story has lots of potential. Cyclonus and Scourge are basically random thugs,and Galvatron is too moody when batshit insane Galvatron would have been infinitely preferable. 1.5 or 2 out of five. Nowhere near the quality of Infestation, though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The art looks like 80s storybook stuff with modern colouring, and the issue seems to be entirely infodump. At least that's what I got from a minute or so's skim.

Having seen Abnett do far better with licensed properties, very disappointing.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I'm hoping this first issue was just to re-set everything and explain a few plot points that have been neglected/ butchered. Galvatron looks like he'll be a pivotal character over the next few months so heres hoping that they dont screw him up too soon.

And please IDW... no unicron. Or at least if you must, put a massively new spin on it.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Transformers: Heart of Darkness #2

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Eeesh.

The art and dialogue in this are some of the worst yet from IDW. I mean, we're talking early 1980's level dialogue here, something that would appeal to a kid the age of 12 with Bazooka Joe bubble gum wrapper level penciling. Except no gum. Damn.

And there were power level inconsistencies galore throughout, with Arcee and Hardhead single-handedly taking out Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge with ridiculous, sarcastic insult-tossing ease. Seriously, the Decepticons in this are a bunch of lame wusses. Which is even more jarring, given these four are supposed to be amongst the most powerful Decepticons in the TF universe.

Oh, and the Swarm is back! So cool to get back into G2 continuity. Oh wait. Not the Swarm. The, ahem, D-Void. A force on unknown origin that feeds on the life force of robotic sparks. Yeah. I know. The Swarm. And looks like we're getting the ole Autobot/Decepticon team-up to combat it, just as we did with G2.

Give this a "D". If I'm a 12 year-old kid who's never read a TF comic before, I might have liked it. But I'm a grown man who paid $4 for this. Despite it's attempt to tap into the past continuity laid down by Furman, it sure feels like we're in some other universe with this. The premise of Galvatron as defender could be a fun one, but with so many other glaring weaknesses, I doubt I'm going to have something nice to say by stories end. I actually preferred issue #18 of the ongoing to this. At least Costa's work usually gives us good dialogue.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

This shit is terrible.

Last issue a whole big deal is made out of Galvatron being a badass, but here he is crippled by a few shots from Arcee? Jhiaxus is also a wuss. And when Cyclonus and Galvatron previously have been portrayed as one-man armies...

And the dialogue, dear god... 'Primus! She's so fast! Ahh, my arm!' 'dear Primus!' shite like that.

And how could Hardhead resist the Dead Universe call when Jhiaxus couldn't...

D-Void (What a terrible name, like they couldn't settle on Devoid or the Void) is like the bad child of Unicron and the Swarm, only less interesting and more faceless. And was it really necessary to have Galvatron in Terminator skeletal form as he witnesses the continuity being torn apart whatever the thing is happening, bitch?

Hate to say it, but apparently you can sink lower than the ongoing.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

By the Gods of Cybertron!!

Holy smoke, this is pretty horrible. Rank art, terrible truly terrible, dialogue and characters. I am amazed IDW have managed to put this out and charge money for it. Worse, this is the set-up for the year ahead. Suddenly, AHM doesnt look so bad eh?

Plus points? Well, an all-consuming monster that two opposing sides have to unit against, while done so many times before, can be fun and help erase unwanted plot points from the overall universe. But its done so badly, with such a lack of imagination that I dread to think how this may pan out.

I'm giving this a Z.
Terome

Post by Terome »

As the only person in the world who likes this series, may I point out that the third issue features crab people who are also pirates? Also, this shit is crazy.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Crab People? Well I'm back in.

Seriously, whats the appeal of this one? Is it so much a car crash that is fun for you or am I missing something?
Terome

Post by Terome »

I like it because it's really weird. And Galvatron is pretty much a straight-up hero in the Metal Hurlant sense. And while I agree that the character design is uncomfortable to look at, the environments and backdrops are superb.

Yeah, crab people! They hang out in a permanent storm in the atmosphere of a gas giant and they're a million times more interesting than the drab, anthropocentric aliens featured in the Ongoing this week. Those are kind of embarrassing.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Hmm, cant find a thread for parts 3 and 4. Couldnt find them in forbidden planet either so it's one of the rare times I didnt part with cash for IDWs products. And I'm quite glad because this was a dreadful four issues. And it could have been great fun.

It really could have been run as a background story during the ongoing (something IDW really ignore - multiple story threads in the one book). Not a lot happens and what does comes across as very out of character. After the fun of infestation this was a real let-down. The art is horrible, really rotten but I think the writing is even worse. The dialogue is just terrible and would look childish in the old ladybird books.

Some plot points really niggled me. The power levels of the characters really irks - galvatron has been weak as a kitten and near god-like during this run. Arcee and Hardhead are far too strong. Cyclonus and scourge? Couldnt fight their way out of paperbag according to this so why Prime and the autobots should fear this lot is a mystery.

D-Void is a rotten character as well. Apart from the name, he's too blatant a bad guy. A more cerebral entity would have worked much better. And nemisis prime? Dont know why he's here. He's discarded after a couple of panels. Would have been more interesting if NP became D-void (god, I hate that name!)s emissary - a play on Galvatrons role under NP. As it is there was no need for him to resurface. It was a plot line that actually didnt need closing for once.

But at least its over and issue 19, 20 & 21 have been much better (not hard I grant you). I'm hoping that Guido drawing Galvatrons army as all sweeps in issue 20 isnt a mistake - the rag-tag army in Heart of darkness #4 looks as lethal as a bag of marshmallows. And Galvatron himself? Guido at least draws him as he should be - sinister, majestic and just a little mad (love the panel where he rejuvinates the sweep).

But this series really wasnt the best way to kick off the "Chaos" epic. The only way is surely up.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yes, it's weirdness was not really enough in the end. Oh well.