[Warren Ellis comics] Everyone go and read this now.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer

[Warren Ellis comics] Everyone go and read this now.

Post by Denyer »

Hound

Post by Hound »

Mmm. It's alright. Don't care much for the art. Nothing particularly remarkable about the story either but it is just the first issue. Reminds me a little of Sin City.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Seriously not enjoying? Hmm. I don't think the resolution they've got it up at helps; I can find you higher res to the addy in your profile if you want.

Sin City but with dialogue, surely? That's the thing I can't get into with Frank Miller... stark black and white, flashes of colour, and I've read a book through too quickly. The painted style here is something I find appealing.

The comics are worth it for the essays in the back, too. Stuff about why he's doing 16-page/$1.99 comics and the death of the self-contained story in most of modern comics.

It's the ideas (and fact they're founded on real events) I like most, though.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh I agree the dialogue is fantastic. Ellis is probably the best there is in comics at writing dialogue. Though when you've read almost all of his comic work like I have you tend to take that for granted.

It's crime noir, same as Sin City. Just in color.

It's the first issue and those are almost never as good as a series will get so I'm not saying I couldn't get into it. I'm just judging the one issue.

So far nothing jumped out at me as particularly new or inventive. It's not as particularly politically or socially driven as Transmetropolitan or Authority. There wasn't anything overly intelligent about the story he told in this issue. Introductions are always awkward... ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Hound
crime noir, same as Sin City. Just in color
Quoted for sarcasm.

In some ways it's more Chandler-esque than Sin City, as it's from the POV of the investigator.

(There are some ongoing story strands, although the focus is on material being standalone. Issue two sits well with issue one -- him being branded, for example -- then we're off in a different direction in three.)
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

rather than start a new thread........anyone read Nextwave by ellis???

bloody hilarious.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Read the first issue, and to be honest I'm not that keen on joke comics.

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/NextWave/preview.htm

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Feb_ ... /02_22.htm

I didn't realise the characters were existing ones, though...
Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen have taken some old throw-away Marvel characters, like Monica Rambeau the female Captain Marvel and the daughter of Bloodstone the monster killer and have created a smart, funny book about a superteam that trounces monsters and quips to one another.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Denyer
Read the first issue, and to be honest I'm not that keen on joke comics.
Not a fan of Peter David. :(

That's pretty funny, is it a regular series?

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the part where they say it's a new ongoing series.

Perhaps I'll get it TPB.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Nextwave rocks! Dirk Anger is the best. My favourite is the scene where he describes his eating habits.

In case someone haven't heard that:

http://www.marvel.com/publishing/storie ... eFinal.mp3
Originally posted by Denyer
I didn't realise the characters were existing ones, though...
I don't think they're that obscure as that piece says, Tabitha was a regular for over ten years.
Originally posted by Hound
I just read the part where they say it's a new ongoing series.
It's supposed to last only 12 issues, though.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah the dirk anger part had me in tears. its like nick fury as written by frank miller.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*