Saddest Song

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Saddest Song

Post by CounterPunch »

Now,

I know not everyone associates music with emotions, but alot of people do, now, what is, in your opinion, the saddest song ever? It could be either a version of a song, or the song itself.

Mine has got to be a toss up between Nothing Compares 2 U by good ole Sinead O'Connor and the cover of Hurt by Johnny Cash.

Its the last verse that gets me in Nothing Compares 2 U gets me bawling like a baby!

----- This dramatic thread was brought to you by someone watching Comic Relief and feelin a lil sad bout all the vids theyre showing -------
Civ

Post by Civ »

For me, it's "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. That whole song is just so damn sad since he wrote it after the death of his child.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

"High and Dry" by Radiohead always gets me for some reason, which is surprising as I find just about everything they did to be soulless and artificial pretentious "art-rock".

Though I am a bitch for "Barber's Adagio for Strings", or whatever the thing's called. No matter the context. Nearly had me in tears in Spaced, for ****'s sake. Was a pain when the William Orbit version was always playing in clubs...

In reference to the Comic Relief thing, I find "Drive" by the Cars far too depressing to listen to, which is amazing as I didn't see the video in question until about '95...
slartibartfast

psychology thread !

Post by slartibartfast »

I only rarely listen to what singers are actually singing to be honest. I think it's that I treat it as an instrument and I focus on the melody, texture, etc. It's gotten to a point where I can't understand what people are singing. except frank sinatra for some reason... (edit n°2 : and rolf harris)

I think I posted this somewhere else, but I prefer italian opera to english ones because I have no idea what they're going on about. I imagine all these epic tales being told and it somewhat ruins the magic when the guy comes on stage and bellows out what he bought on the market that morning.

All that to say that I'm going to reply off-topic. It's not a song, but when I want a good cry into my whiskey I stick on Samuel Barbers' Adagio for strings (you all know the one : the end tune in elephant man, Einsteins' funeral...)

edit n°1 : oi ! Cliff ! I thought of it first ![/whiny sod]
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
"High and Dry" by Radiohead always gets me for some reason, which is surprising as I find just about everything they did to be soulless and artificial pretentious "art-rock".

Though I am a bitch for "Barber's Adagio for Strings", or whatever the thing's called. No matter the context. Nearly had me in tears in Spaced, for ****'s sake. Was a pain when the William Orbit version was always playing in clubs...

In reference to the Comic Relief thing, I find "Drive" by the Cars far too depressing to listen to, which is amazing as I didn't see the video in question until about '95...

I know exactly what you mean about Barbers Adagio for Strings, its probably the most intense instrumental piece I've ever heard (but then I havent heard much orchestral/instrumental music)
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

"Everybody Hurts" by REM, a song i find very difficult to listen still regardless of how much i like it, only just listened to it all the way through again recently for the first time in years and forgotten how good/provoking it is.
Another one is "I Do" by Yoko Kanno, which as well as being very sad in its own right it has added weight associated with it due to personal reasons.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I've just thought of another one. A bloody awful song "I want to know what love is" by Tina Arena. I got my first kiss from my first girlfriend ever to it. whenever it comes on the radio I go all mopey.

now that is sad.
optihut
Protoform

Post by optihut »

25 minutes
"Negativity creates nothing!" The Colonel, Orguss 02
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Opening of the full version of "Free Bird", strangely enough.

I find "Everybody Hurts" depressing and emotionally manipulative rather than sad.

"Heaven" by Chris Rea tends to make me cry, but again not sad. More like John Peel's first reaction to "Teenage Kicks".

"Seasons in the Sun".

"I Fell Back Alone" (World Party).
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

"I Cry Too" by Bob Geldof
"Atmosphere" and "The Eternal" by Joy Division
"I am Stretched on Your Grave" by Dead Can Dance
Roger Waters is usually good for a bummer.
For some reason, I find "The Amorous Humphrey Plugg" as done by Chris Connelly moving. I guess anything with piano and voice seems inherently emotional.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

"Gloomy Sunday" by Billie Holiday. It's a very tragic song.

"Undenied" by Portishead. It's filled with a complete sense of hopelessness.

"Good Things" by Sleater Kinney. A bit sappy, but it's wonderfully dismal

"Ambition" by Doves. Very Moving
Originally posted by Notabot
....by Dead Can Dance

Good call, but I am going to have to go with "In the Kingdom of the Blind, The One Eyed Are Kings" and "The Host Of Seraphim" on that one. I'm not sure what she is saying, but it sounds like a dirge
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Originally posted by rubicon
Good call, but I am going to have to go with "In the Kingdom of the Blind, The One Eyed Are Kings" and "The Host Of Seraphim" on that one. I'm not sure what she is saying, but it sounds like a dirge

I'd have to agree with you on that. Many sad songs to choose from with DCD. Grave was just rattling around in my head since I had just been listening to it earlier. Agreeing with Slartibartfast, I think part of the beauty of Dead Can Dance is that the lyrics can mean whatever you want. It's like scat that doesn't suck.
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

the song " Mad World" sung by somebody i cant remember.it makes the world seem sad to me.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Honestly? Dumb as it may sound on the face of it, the music during the end credits of the Incredible Hulk TV show. Just this little piano piece, very tragic/mournful sound.

Interesting, Denyer, the first part of Free Bird - I can see that.

Also coming to mind - Cup Of Coffee, by Garbage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Christmas Shoes by Newsong? MercyMe? one of those bands.

My Baby by Some Country Tosser.

I know there's more, but I can't think of them.

Edit: And Sam's Town, but that's just cause it reminds me that I paid money for the CD instead of just getting When You Were Young by itself.