30 Days of Night.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

30 Days of Night.

Post by inflatable dalek »

Me like. One of the best big dumb horror films in years. It falls apart if you think about the plot even for a second (aren't the days either side of the "Night" really short up there? Everyone acts as if they're completely safe once the sun comes up but really it would n't be up for long enough to do more than give them a brief resbite), but it makes you jump in all the right places and has a nice line in grusome gore. And it seems to be based on a IDW comic as well which I didn't know.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
xxJetlagxx
Protoform

Post by xxJetlagxx »

Well there are (Well in Sweden I believe which is across the globe from Alaska) that in some places it is night for 30 days and then day for another 30. But either way they know that UV rays are lethal to the vamps so when day comes they either A. have all the vamps killed or B. Get the chance to finally run away. So all and all it isn't that much of a stretch....at least that is my take on it.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Thought it was fairly decent. Made me jump twice, which is pretty much unheard of.

The showdown at the end looked like a My Chemical Romance video (I do not mean that in a good way), and the film completely fails to make it seem like it happens over 30 days. Putting a title card up saying "Day 18" and having them be exactly where we left them does not a convincing progression of time make.

Points for the ending. And for having Melissa George in it.

Not quite sure how Dalek missed it being based on an IDW series... unless he never visits their site... which is plausible.

It gets 3 shells out of 5. By no means rubbish, but by no means brilliant.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Halfshell
Not quite sure how Dalek missed it being based on an IDW series... unless he never visits their site... which is plausible.

I only look at the Transformers stuff.
So all and all it isn't that much of a stretch....at least that is my take on it.
Yeah, but the first day would be so short the Vampires would only have to hide for a short time before emerging to kill the remaining humans before any help could arrive.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The IDW site has been covered in banners for the film for ages. ;)

And considering the comic series is still going, I think we can work out if the other vamps survived...
inflatable dalek

And considering the comic series is still going, I think we can work out if the other vamps survived...

Though according to the SFX review it's not a hugely faithful adaption (for starters the Vampires are wisecracking Americans in it, and the two leads are still together), so anything in the sequels may not apply to the film.

Oh, and how did GuyfromTomorowNeverDies surrvive that big explosion with only minimal burns?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Though according to the SFX review it's not a hugely faithful adaption (for starters the Vampires are wisecracking Americans in it, and the two leads are still together), so anything in the sequels may not apply to the film.
It's not massively faithful to the source, but the basics are there. Most significantly the ending.
Oh, and how did GuyfromTomorowNeverDies surrvive that big explosion with only minimal burns?

I have absolutely no idea. He made a massive kaboom right in front of his face. Two minutes later he lands on the other side of the explosion, seemingly completely okay. Had me utterly baffled.
inflatable dalek

Perhaps he wasn't joking when he said "They can't kill me"?!?!?

I also found it a bit odd that the remaining humans never seemed to be that stealthy as they went about the town but the Vampires only seemed to hear them when they intentionally setting up a distraction...
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

The showdown at the end looked like a My Chemical Romance video (I do not mean that in a good way), and the film completely fails to make it seem like it happens over 30 days. Putting a title card up saying "Day 18" and having them be exactly where we left them does not a convincing progression of time make.

Pretty much my impression. It had a good cast, but the script just wasn't there. The whole concept seems more like a vignette than a story.

I enjoyed it, but only a little. I could have easily spent my time doing something else and not have missed seeing it. What I am looking forward to, though, is I Am Legend. Best vampire story ever written in my opinion.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Coming up next:

"30 Days of Scabs"

The story of Hollywood writers who broke ranks and went back to work and the unemployable executives who agreed to let them do so. ;)
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Sometimes.....you just gotta love crappy scary movies.

I dont want an extensive plot....or huge back story..

Just gimme some olf fashioned scary movie stuff. :D
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

I hear Josh Hartnett once again employs his trusted 'Squinting' method of acting, can someone confirm these rumours?
inflatable dalek

He also uses facial hair.
Wildrider

Outrageous!

Post by Wildrider »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
He also uses facial hair.

At the same time as squinting? That boy is the new Lee Van Cleef!
Zisteau

Re: Outrageous!

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Wildrider
At the same time as squinting? That boy is the new Lee Van Cleef!

I heard they cast him in the prequel, The Okay, The Not So Bad, and the Moderately Unattractive.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

kicked ass, loved it, josh hartnett sucked balls though.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Here's my review (and sadly one of the last ones I'll ever write for the site, now that it's been sold and the new owners no longer desired my services). :(
:( - bummer
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Prowl1984
kicked ass, loved it, josh hartnett sucked balls though.
See, he can squint, grow facial hair and suck balls. Is there anything he can't do?