Akira!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Redstreak
Protoform

Akira!

Post by Redstreak »

*Christens the new forum*

What better way to start off an Anime thread than by talking about the Anime that is most widely regarded as the greatest ever, Akira?
So what's your favorite part?

Personally, I don't have one; I just enjoy the whole thing because it tests the limits of cel animation. It's an excellent piece of work.

R.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Bah, Akira had nothing special in my opinion, now Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll or Perfect blue are much better movies, you should check those out red.
Astrotrain99
Protoform

Post by Astrotrain99 »

It's pretty good. My all-time favorite is Vampire Hunter D., first anime movie I ever watched.

Astrotrain trips: Come take a cruse of the lovely planet of Char, er... ok, maybe not that lovely.
ThunderCracker84

Post by ThunderCracker84 »

I think I may be the only one on this board, but I really dont watch much Anime, or any TV for that matter
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

I hardly watch TV anymore, this board has consumed me along with everything else on my computer.
sprites touch
Protoform

Akira, Ghost in the shell, and Vamire hunter D

Post by sprites touch »

I haven't seen them fully, though I have them on CDs, Ghost is the most resent and seems to have the best animation, I like the way Akira is developing, it is very violent and coecides with the cyberpunk janer.

Having a smart mouth gets me in a lot of stupid $#!t.
------------------------
Original artwork M.cavotta
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Akira is gret, and the Region 2 is getting released real soon, so good news then.

However, 3x3 eyes is the best anime for me, I don't know why, the animation isn't really that good, but the story I thought was brillant, and I really love the relationship between Pai and Yakumo. The ending of the series was a real cop-out, and was one of the worst ever things to happen to such a terrific series. But excluding the last 2episodes from the end, it was terrific anime.

But for anime which is absolutely astouding, try Studio Ghibili Films such as Princess Mononoke-not really good compared to his other stuff, but indeed 'magical'. But stuff like My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delevery Service, and the all time great which I truimphant to everyone hwo disses anime as being sex, and violence..THE ALMIGHTY Laputa
Jim

It was ok.

Post by Jim »

When I first saw it, I didn't think much of it. I figured it was all violent, no plot type of show. I picked up the recent Pioneer release, and boy did the new translation help it out. Its ok. :)
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Do you mean Akira Jim?, if so many of my friends think that too, while they still think its alright, they were suprised that a storyline existed. Its not an anime I stick in for my friends to watch, more stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Akira is great, but not everyone's cup of tea
Jetfire 2.1

Post by Jetfire 2.1 »

I am reading the original Akira graphic novels and I have to say it is totally amazing.Blows the animated version away.
The flaw in the anime version is too much imprtant stuff had to be taken out to com,presse it to 2 hours:(

I agree laputa is one of the all time best animes and wings of honniemase too:)
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Jetfire- A man with taste:)

What Akira book are you reading?, and your right that the graphic novels were superior, alot of stuff had to be cut out for the anime, which was understandable but did affect the overall anime I felt.
OmegaDenmad
Protoform

Post by OmegaDenmad »

Akira was ok... I liked Ghost in the Shell better though.

Aaaaand anything by Ghibli just blows those two away. Well, maybe Mononoke Hime and Mimi o Sumaseba don't. But Laputa does.
Insert philosophical phrase here. Yeaaaaah right.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Fave bit in Akira? The bike chases thru Neo Tokyo...
RCOSD

Post by RCOSD »

I just love Akira from start to finish
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by yakumo
Jetfire- A man with taste:)[/B}

Of course:D

What Akira book are you reading?, and your right that the graphic novels were superior, alot of stuff had to be cut out for the anime, which was understandable but did affect the overall anime I felt.

I'm up to book 4.I believe 5 (of 6) is out soon.I do think the Akira movie is great jsut the books are amazing.Unequaled in comics actually IMHO.I havent read a comic this good and I've read 'all the susposed best'
Quick Switch

Post by Quick Switch »

It's a nice introduction to Anime.

"Tetsuo!!!!

"Kaneda!!!!