2007 MOVIE FAQ

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Halfshell

2007 MOVIE FAQ

Post by Halfshell »

JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM

Your first port of call for confirmed information about the film should be the Wikipedia article, which is unusually comprehensive in citing its sources thanks to contributors such as Megatimus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_2007 (does contain spoilers)

But a few basic points:
  • The release date varied by country, but mostly was July 2007.
  • These aren't the characters we're familiar with from twenty years ago. Many have the same names and are expected to be quite similar in personality, but the film is a new timeline/continuity and won't follow old events. In particular, there's no connection with the 1986 animated movie.
  • The film is directed by Michael Bay (The Island, Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake) and produced by Don Murphy (From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). The lead role of Sam Witwicky is being played by Shia LaBeouf, with CGI supplied by DreamWorks.
  • There are prelude books and comics, including a comics miniseries by IDW Publishing and a novel titled Ghosts of Yesterday by Alan Dean Foster. These have been coordinated with the movie production team to complement the story told in the film and (in theory) not contradict each other.
  • There's also an official website and an official RPG-type site called Sector Seven that includes titbits of film information (older passwords to gain entry were FWIFFO or BYEBYEPOWERS, though these have probably phased out by now, as the site probably will be until a sequel gets underway.)
SPOILERS & DETAILS

What’s with the tank’s name? The toy’s called Brawl, but the subtitles said Devastator. Huh? What’s it actually called?

Yes, the toy is called Decepticon Brawl, but the original script shuffled a lot of names in an attempt to confuse rumours regarding the final cast. One of the pseudonyms was Devastator. Purportedly Michael Bay thought this was a more fitting name, so opted to not change it to reflect the merchandise. Both names are equally accepted by the fandom – we know who you mean.

But isn’t there a bit where Jazz calls him Brawl?
No. Jazz’s line is “Come on, Decepticon punk.” A few people mishear "Punk" as Brawl, which when you think about it is a stupid line.

Why did the military guys choose a civilian area for their last stand? A bit irresponsible, isn’t it?

They didn’t. Mission City (not LA, though the scenes were shot there) was implied to be the nearest urban conurbation to the Sector Seven facility at Hoover Dam. With global communications supposedly down, the group stopped there in a bid to find some radios to communicate with their comrades. They camped down and let off their flares when the air support arrived. Unfortunately it wasn’t air support – it was Starscream. By the time this was realised, the decision had been made.

What happened to Barricade?
He was originally to have been killed by Optimus during the highway chase (following the fight with Bonecrusher), but Michael Bay elected to cut this scene so to leave the door open for the character to return in any sequel. This scene is also why Prime was late to the battle in Mission City.

Frenzy can lose his entire body and survive, but Jazz loses his legs and is beyond repair? What’s up with that?
Frenzy’s hardcore. Jazz isn’t.

Did Megatron spend several minutes just stood atop a building holding Jazz’s remains until Prime turned up, then?
Seemingly.

What were the songs Bumblebee used to help Sam pull Mikaela?
“Drive” by The Cars
“Sexual Healing” by Marvin Gaye
“Baby Come Back” by Player

When was Bumblebee’s voicebox repaired?
When he shrank the All Spark, a jolt of energy went through his neck, similar to the one that regenerated Frenzy. He doesn't speak until he sees Prime after the battle, whereupon he asks permission to. He's by-the-book like that.

What happened to the classic transformation sound? I thought it was going to be in the film.
This sound effect is used in only three instances. The first is when Blackout transforms in Qatar, the second when Bumblebee rescues the falling Sam and Mikalea, the third and final time is when Starscream leaves Earth during the credits. Oddly, he doesn’t transform when this sound is played.

Somebody said something about Starscream firing on Megatron. When did this happen?
Following Starscream’s attack on the air support, there are only three surviving planes. But eagle-eyed viewers state that there are four jets subsequently seen firing on the Decepticon leader.

Is the holographic simulation in the Decepticons the same guy as one of the Sector Seven people?
Nope. Sector Seven's Tom Banachek is played by Michael O'Neill. The hologram is played by Michael Reece, and credited as Moustache Man.

Why’s Spike called Sam?
Because Sam’s a sensible name. I mean seriously, who calls their kid Spike?

What happened to Scorponok?
Presumably he’s still at large, as he wasn’t seen again following his escape into the ground in Qatar.

What’s masturbation?
Ask your parents.

Why can the Autobots travel through space, but Bumblebee is taken down by those cold-gun things used by Sector 7?
When the Autobots enter, parts of the heat -and presumably cold- shielding flakes off into the atmosphere. When Starscream is seen during the credits flying into space, it's after Sam's parents are interviewed and the dog Mojo's cast has been removed, meaning it could be days or weeks later. The short answer is, "If they prepare for extreme hot and cold, the TF's are alright. It's surprises that screw them up."

How does Bobby Bolivia sell Sam the camaro without having the registration papers from the Department of Motor Vehicles?
The same way he sells Sam a car that's just magically appeared on his lot that he's never seen before - he's a crook, and probably forges the necessary documents.

Why don't Ironhide and Ratchet just get the cube to the helicopter themselves instead of covering Sam?
Because they can fight off the evil giant robots of death chasing them; Sam cannot.

The whole thing with computer hacking signal being a sound didn't make any sense. Why is that?
Because it's a movie, and no movie, in the history of ever, has depicted computers and hacking in a remotely realistic or plausible way. Seriously.

Why does Bumblebee know to go to the car lot to be bought by Sam?
Bumblebee has apparently been on Earth with plenty of time to learn all the same information Frenzy obtains in more subtle fashion. When Sam gets home after obtaining his new car, his ebay auction for his grandfather's glasses containing TF scribblings has already been up without any bids, so that was apparently the last piece of the puzzle Bumblebee needed before he called in reinforcements.

Why does Megatron say his name in English as soon as he breaks out of the ice?
Apparently he's been passively learning the language while he's been in stasis at the dam, and wants to clear up all that "NBE 01" nonsense before all the smashy-smashy starts.

Are there any scenes after the credits?
Three. The first and second are short skits involving Sam’s parents (and Mojo) being interviewed for television, in which they tell us that there’s obviously no government cover-up of alien invaders, because the American government is honest. The third is a brief shot of a Raptor (presumably Starscream) blasting out of Earth’s atmosphere, accompanied by the “classic” transformation sound.

X song is on the soundtrack as being in the film, but I didn’t hear it. Where is it?
Linkin Park “What I’ve Done” is playing on Bumblebee’s stereo when Sam drops Mikaela off at her house, and again over the final scene / end credits.

Smashing Pumpkins “Doomsday Clock” plays when Mikaela and Bumblebee (strapped to the back of a pick-up] decide to attack Brawl. It also plays over the end credits.

Disturbed “This Moment” is played over the end credits.

Goo Goo Dolls “Before It’s Too Late (Sam and Mikalea’s Theme)” soundtracks the humans getting into Bumblebee following the confrontration with Barricade.

The Used “Pretty Handsome Awkward” soundtracks the Bumblebee/Barricade car chase after the Decepticon first reveals itself to Sam.

HIM “Passion’s Killing Floor” is playing in Sam's room just prior to the return of "Satan's Camaro".

Styles of Beyond feat Mike Shinoda “Second to None” is one of the soundbites that Bumblebee plays. This one serves as his introduction in the Autobot role call scene.

Julien-K “Technical Difficulties” is purportedly played over the end credits.

When’s the score out?
9th October. :)
Autobot Bandit
Protoform

Post by Autobot Bandit »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Frenzy can lose his entire body and survive, but Jazz loses his legs and is beyond repair? What’s up with that?
Frenzy’s hardcore. Jazz isn’t.

Why does Bumblebee know to go to the car lot to be bought by Sam?
It's established later in the movie that Bumblebee was on Mars during 2003, giving him a time frame to be on Earth between the day before and up to four years prior; plenty of time to learn all the same information Frenzy obtains in more subtle fashion. When Sam gets home after obtaining his new car, his ebay auction for his grandfather's glasses containing TF scribblings has already been up without any bids, so that was apparently the last piece of the puzzle Bumblebee needed before he called in reinforcements. [/B]

D'oh, I'm not sure if responding to this thread is taboo, but two things really needed clarification.

It was rumored that the leaked script had Megatron "eating" Jazz's "spark" (soul?), thus explaining why he took so long on the roof top until Prime showed up AND why Jazz is dead. Frenzy on the other hand obviously has is "spark" within his head area.... which explains why he could lose his torso and still function.

As for Bumblebee... the movie dialogue between S7 and Sec. of Def. was that the image on Mars closely "matched" the scan of what attacked Soccent Military Base in Qatar. Bumbleebee didn't do that, Blackout did. However if you own the Transformers Game (PS2), a scene does explain this by showing Bumblebee parked outside of Sam's house the night before and eavesdropping on his dad's conversation with Sam explaining how they would go get his first car at Bolivia's the next day. (but then you say well this doesn't jive with the movie because Sam was dissapointed and surprised to be at the used car lot instead of the Porsche dealership... true, but for all intensive purposes, Bolivias could have been the name of the Porsche dealership and he would have never known.... and besides, I'm sure he thought his dad had a change of heart seeing as how he could have afforded it judging by what his dad drove and where they lived.)
"Looks of a Decepticon... Heart of an Autobot"
"To spy is evil... To double-spy is oh... so good!"
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Autobot Bandit
D'oh, I'm not sure if responding to this thread is taboo, but two things really needed clarification.
Don't see why you shouldn't respond. Sigs off if you do, though, please. :)
It was rumored that the leaked script had Megatron "eating" Jazz's "spark" (soul?), thus explaining why he took so long on the roof top until Prime showed up AND why Jazz is dead. Frenzy on the other hand obviously has is "spark" within his head area.... which explains why he could lose his torso and still function.
Twofer. Nice one. :up: Cheers.

Bumblebee's presence on Mars is one of the things Clay wrote [/swift diversion of blame], so he can deal with that. Erm...
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Excellent, excellent.

I do have a couple of questions I would like to submit, if I may be so bold.

Assuming that if the humans can detect the allsparks' radiation, the transformers can too. Why is it that in the final battle scene, both Blackout and Starscream have Sam at their mercy, and yet both just transform and fly away ?

Also, why isn't there a big trail of blood and brains along the tarmac as that soldier-dude slides under blackout, shooting at his underside that he magically knows is less protected, and blackout forgetting to switch his forcefield on ?

Ta.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

As for Bumblebee... the movie dialogue between S7 and Sec. of Def. was that the image on Mars closely "matched" the scan of what attacked Soccent Military Base in Qatar. Bumbleebee didn't do that, Blackout did.

Indeed, and in the prequel comic it's the Decepticons- including Blackout- that encounter the Beagle (which raises the question of what they've been doing for four years. Probably confused as to why Michael Bay can't tell the difference between NASA and the ESP...)
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Not sure these really count as FAQ stuff, as I've not seen them crop up before. Can we keep this thread for the discussion / clarification of points already raised, rather than turning it into another general banter thread?

If things prove a contentious enough issue, we can add them in later.
Originally posted by slartibartfast
Assuming that if the humans can detect the allsparks' radiation, the transformers can too. Why is it that in the final battle scene, both Blackout and Starscream have Sam at their mercy, and yet both just transform and fly away ?
All Spark smaller now?

Blackout's possibly concentrating on letting his boss get the glory, and Starscream's likely not really that bothered and just hopes that the longer the battle goes on, the better the odds of Megatron meeting an unfortunate accident...
Also, why isn't there a big trail of blood and brains along the tarmac as that soldier-dude slides under blackout, shooting at his underside that he magically knows is less protected, and blackout forgetting to switch his forcefield on ?
Because he has kevlar body armour and is really cool?

As far as the forcefield goes, nobody ever said he had one. Epps said it's like he had one, to which he was told there's no such thing. ;)
inflatable dalek

Oh, and if you want a secondary source for the "Megatron was aware the whole time he was frozen" thing, the comic makes this 100% clear by giving him the exposition about the technology Sector 7 stole from him ("I know what you did!").
Mega Decipticon
Protoform

Post by Mega Decipticon »

The song list is laregly appreciated and I will be joining the petition. I don't have any agruments on the posted Questions but would like to add 2.

If Megatron is acually in cryofreeze in the artic, he wouldn't be able to power up any systems "by accident" by being touched by a filthy human, merely touching him seems faulty, he would be coated in ice and he should then be reacting to touch all the time.

If he has the location of the All-Spark, why did he crash in the Artic? At that time it was in hoover damn, Megatron would know its not in the Artic and the Autobots landed within a couple of miles AND Megatron came here in his Alien Jet form not protoform so would be able to perfectly control his direction.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Mega Decipticon
If he has the location of the All-Spark, why did he crash in the Artic? [/color]

Underestimated Earth's gravity. Probably came in over the north pole and couldn't compensate in time.
Clay

Post by Clay »

As for Bumblebee... the movie dialogue between S7 and Sec. of Def. was that the image on Mars closely "matched" the scan of what attacked Soccent Military Base in Qatar. Bumbleebee didn't do that, Blackout did. However if you own the Transformers Game (PS2), a scene does explain this by showing Bumblebee parked outside of Sam's house the night before and eavesdropping on his dad's conversation with Sam explaining how they would go get his first car at Bolivia's the next day. (but then you say well this doesn't jive with the movie because Sam was dissapointed and surprised to be at the used car lot instead of the Porsche dealership... true, but for all intensive purposes, Bolivias could have been the name of the Porsche dealership and he would have never known.... and besides, I'm sure he thought his dad had a change of heart seeing as how he could have afforded it judging by what his dad drove and where they lived.)

Good point. I edited that entry. Also added a bit about Bumblebee asking for permission to speak under the 'when did he get fixed' part.
Mega Decipticon
Protoform

Post by Mega Decipticon »

He did not come to Earth in protoform, there was no crashing to Earth like the Autobots, he would have been able to land better then the Space Shuttle, he was an alien jet.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

When was Bumblebee’s voicebox repaired?
When he shrank the All Spark, a jolt of energy went through his neck, similar to the one that regenerated Frenzy. He doesn't speak until he sees Prime after the battle, whereupon he asks permission to. He's hardcore like that.
When autobots arrive to Earth and introduce themselves to Sam, Ratchet scans and seemingly activates some kind of repair process in Bumblebee's voicebox. At least this was writers' intention (IIRC was mentioned in Botcon panel).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Mega Decipticon
He did not come to Earth in protoform, there was no crashing to Earth like the Autobots, he would have been able to land better then the Space Shuttle, he was an alien jet.

My point still stands.
inflatable dalek

Underestimated Earth's gravity. Probably came in over the north pole and couldn't compensate in time.

Wasn't the line something about him being confused by the magnetic field? It'd be a bit worrying if he underestimated the graivty considering that's a constant and fairly easy to work out for a decent spaceship pilot. Magnetic fields on the other hand are a bit more tricksy and not every planet has one.
he wouldn't be able to power up any systems "by accident" by being touched by a filthy human,
Not just any filthy human, it was rentabrit W. Morgan Sheppard. He has special powers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Wasn't the line something about him being confused by the magnetic field?
Probably.
It'd be a bit worrying if he underestimated the graivty considering that's a constant and fairly easy to work out for a decent spaceship pilot. Magnetic fields on the other hand are a bit more tricksy and not every planet has one.
Gravity's not a constant. Earth's gravity is a constant. I'd think that if he had the technical nous to look at a new planet and assess it's gravity, he'd be able to look at the same planet and spot its magnetic field.
inflatable dalek

Gravity's not a constant. Earth's gravity is a constant.

Well yes, that's what I meant Mr. Pedant. ;)
Clay

Post by Clay »

What happened to the classic transformation sound? I thought it was going to be in the film.
This sound effect is used in only three instances. The first is when Blackout transforms in Qatar, the second when Bumblebee rescues the falling Sam and Mikalea, the third and final time is when Starscream leaves Earth during the credits. Oddly, he doesn’t transform when this sound is played.

This one's actually not quite right:

Starscream doesn't use the sound at the end of the credits at all.
Bumblebee doesn't ever use the sound that I can hear.

Ironhide uses the sound when he does his gymnast bit, though: youtube link.

Ironhide and Blackout are the only times I can hear it.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Okay, I'm drunk right now (and my spelling will be impeccable), but you're wrong.

I checked dude. I, like, made sure and stuff. :(

If it's not the actual original sound, it's something damn close to it. When Bumblebee's leaping and stuff. And before Starscream comes on screen, or just as. I listened just to make sure. The FAQ is something I was compiling specifically when I last saw it. Don't link to YouTube because it sucks or something,

I know you've seen it like a million times and me just three, but who are the people gonna trust? The guy who makes Alternators or the bloke who's hammered?

Yeah, I thought so.

I'm gonna have to go again this weekend, aren't I? My friends already think I'm well sad. And when you consider how cool I am, you'll realise just what that means,

I'm going to bed now.
Clay

Post by Clay »

But enlightened debate using verifiable sources is for the good of the FAQ! Witness here!

Okay, so that doesn't have anything to do with the FAQ, but it's still really cool!
Civ

Post by Civ »

The classic transformation sound (or some derivative) is also used when the Nokia is zapped by Allspark radiation. source