TF movie screenwriter found (not named yet)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

TF movie screenwriter found (not named yet)

Post by Nevermore »

From Don Murphy's boards:
Scribe Found Let the Mything Begin

We have a screenwriter that we are all very excited about.
He fits all my dream parameters- he knows the mythology, is very POP in his writing, is the right age (20s) and shops at my comic book shop regularly so I know him at least a little bit. The deal is being ironed out as we speak so I cannot say more- but with him involved we can stay on target for Summer 06 and create an amazing fun film. More as it happens.

Ad Adastra!
The characters will be Gen 1 Marvel and Cartoon.
BUT the humans are as important as the Robots.
The Robots are among us. Waiting. Watching.
Cannot promise DARK but will make it Darkish
Will be epic for sure
And definitely not Kiddie I want the Star wars audience man (the good films)
We discussed Richard Kelly but he preferred rewriting a killer shark movie at Warners that has been in development hell for 12 years instead.

Jar Jar and Ewoks are not in the good Star Wars films.

There already is a template worked on with Spielberg that exists but no full story structure.

Ad Adastra!
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Is his forum still as scary a place as before? Respect to those brave people who wander there getting the little snippets of information for us normal mortals. *only slightly sarcastically*
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

So, is he Don's beer mate, or somebody who actually written a movie script before, I wonder?
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

don is soo... i dunno, how old is he? i ask because the way he talks and portrays views and gives information is the kind of way id say it to my mate, not as a producer talking to fans.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

David Hayter, oh please God let it be David Hayter...and let him do voices too.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

More news from Don Itself about the Movie
http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthre ... readid=517

1st No voice actor yet, altough the original will be considered

2nd No mass shifting, Dinos and Beasts
... as i stated before, this (no mass shifting) is not possible! Are you confused, Don? Yes, no cassette player could be your choice, but even a car or jet need this type of tech! And i LOVE Dinos.

3rd It appear that "only 7 core member for each team" is TRUTH, not a rumor.
I Hope that "non core" member will appear with minor roles, or cameos, because there are more than 7 characters in the G1 cast of Autobot
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Date of post containnig 'news': 07-25-2004. Please check before posting such a thing next time.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I guess he found it at another board... TFormers and Seibertron also reported it as "news"... :rolleyes:
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Somebody brought it on TransFans two days ago, too. I wonder who started the whole thing.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

If I recall correctly, it was IGN quoting Murphy's post as "news", and several folks didn't even bother to check the date first when reporting it to other sites and boards. :)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

BUT the humans are as important as the Robots
No, they're not.

The franchise is called Transformers. It's not called "Transformers and the Humans that their war affects" - that was an episode of Jerry Springer.

Whenever there's any mention of humans playing a role in this movie, my mind immediately heads towards the recent Thunderbirds movie... only to the nth degree.

I envisage a final scene whereby a badly damaged Optimus Prime thanks the blind and disabled kid who Megatron allowed to live because he posed no threat, and in doing so allowed said child to reverse the polarity of Megatron's in-no-way-vague "make the world go boom" device.

:o
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

We have a screenwriter that we are all very excited about.
He fits all my dream parameters- he knows the mythology, is very POP in his writing, is the right age (20s) and shops at my comic book shop regularly so I know him at least a little bit. The deal is being ironed out as we speak so I cannot say more- but with him involved we can stay on target for Summer 06 and create an amazing fun film. More as it happens.
So it could very well be some geek who lives with his folks and just happens to know a whole lot about Transformers.

Yeah. This is gonna go well.
Originally posted by Illyria
The franchise is called Transformers. It's not called "Transformers and the Humans that their war affects" - that was an episode of Jerry Springer.

I envisage a final scene whereby a badly damaged Optimus Prime thanks the blind and disabled kid who Megatron allowed to live because he posed no threat, and in doing so allowed said child to reverse the polarity of Megatron's in-no-way-vague "make the world go boom" device.
That was probably the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Except, possibly, for Denyer's 'bunnies ejaculating rainbows' comment.
Blacknife
Protoform

Post by Blacknife »

Originally posted by Illyria

"Transformers and the Humans that their war affects" -

Unless you're watching completely different Transformer shows, that's basically a lot of underlying premise for each mythos beginnings. MTMTE fits this description, the beginning Marvel comics fits this description, and DW fits this description. RID, Armada, Energon...

It's nothing new, it's not about how humans will steal the spotlight from the main characters. But, the human perspective has been a central part of introductions.
Everyone one knows the title of the movie, and I know they'll be sure to keep it in mind.
stoltobot
Protoform

Post by stoltobot »

It is going to take place on Earth so I guess there will have to be some backstory with humans going on to keep things realistic. After all, it would affect us in many ways if it happened. I just hope when the Transformers appear it stays at the very least balanced but I'm sure that's what they intend.

Every time I venture into that forum I feel like I've just jumped into a violent moshpit. Some people just use valuable space designed input into an waesome move to live out personal vendettas. Granted there are some dumb people there that don't read posts and say stupid things. I just hope Don realises that the people that go out of their way to post on that board are but a fraction of the amount of Transfans and even a smaller amount of people that will enjoy the movie.
________
ARIZONA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Screamwave7

What time??

Post by Screamwave7 »

In my opinion, they should either make the movie to take place in 1984, OR it can be in 2006 with everyones vehicle modes up-graded. Not like that Armada crap, but if they set it in 2006, Wheeljack should be a 2006 porshe, Starscream is an f-16, Soundwave is an MP3 player.

(But what about Rumble an the other Cassettecons?)

Disks perhaps?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Blacknife
Unless you're watching completely different Transformer shows, that's basically a lot of underlying premise for each mythos beginnings. MTMTE fits this description, the beginning Marvel comics fits this description, and DW fits this description. RID, Armada, Energon...

Oh, I fully understand the importance of the human element to the Earth-based stuff. But some of the most appalling TF stories have come about because of an over-dependence on the human-robot dynamic (most of Budiansky's later stories, the bulk of season 2 of the G1 cartoon); whilst some of the better quality stories (and sci-fi-esque one) have been those that put the focus away from the human element.

I know you can't have an "arrival" story that doesn't explore how it affects mankind, but to say that the humans are equally as important to the story as the robots doesn't exactly endear the principle to me.

It doesn't really even need to be an "arrival" story. Take the new Superman film as an example - Singer's stated that they won't retell the beginning, as anybody watching it already knows the story (be it from the 50s cartoon, the original movies or Smallville). I'd hazard a guess that anybody wanting to see a TF movie already knows the basics. Of course there's then the element of drawing in other folks, but I reserve the right to be a stubborn fanperson cliquey elitist type git. Oh yes.

[And yes, I took your "mythos beginning" comment to mean "arrival on Earth." Humans have no relevance to the origin of the Transformers... I won't even bring it up. Damn...]
Blacknife
Protoform

Post by Blacknife »

Well, just because it was handled poorly in the past, doesn't mean it will be for the movie. Remember, there's an audience that simply won't get the whole robot aspect no matter what. And, the writer is going to have to create "a bridge" of sorts to "humanize" the TFs to the audience.

And....uh....

Though I love Transformers, I don't think their origins are quite as common knowledge as Superman's.
Unless there's some more media pushing outside of the internet that I'm unaware of yet. And, I'd expect that pretty soon after the script is completely finalized.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Well, just because it was handled poorly in the past, doesn't mean it will be for the movie.
Have there ever been credible human characters in TFs?
Though I love Transformers, I don't think their origins are quite as common knowledge as Superman's.
They're robots from space. I'd say most people grasp that, or will grasp it within the first few minutes from incidental dialogue. The line "when we crashed on your planet" will do that.

I'm expecting some sort of visual of a crash just to underline the point for the MTV generation, but a complete retelling isn't necessary if a writer doesn't want to go that route. Good guy robots, bad guy robots, they can disguise themselves, and they move amongst us without us noticing.
DEVATICUS-PRIME
Protoform

Post by DEVATICUS-PRIME »

well it could be handled like they did in x-men sort of a flash back type of history. We don't need to know everything just snipits here and there for the audience who doesn't know at least they won't be completly lost. Oh by the way the HUMANS especialy the "kids" really annoy me to no extent there always in the way
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by DEVATICUS-PRIME
Oh by the way the HUMANS especialy the "kids" really annoy me to no extent there always in the way

Actually, Kicker is anything but. He's proactive, and really helps to move things along, rather than standing back and saying, "Wow. Giant robots."