marvel g1 lineart for auction

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
borg72

marvel g1 lineart for auction

Post by borg72 »

only posting it here as its of particular interest...

some g1 marvel issue 1 lineart for auction

this was the first comic appearance for several of the bot's featured in this image. though i dont get why its signed by budiansky if this is by frank springer?

anyways, it makes me want to dog out 'the complete works' and have a re-read...

on a sidenote, an ebay search for 'g1 comic art' made me want to hurl...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I didn't know the published version was a buggered about with photocopy, that presumably explains why the UK comic seemed to have trouble with that spread across every printing (for instance when Borg digs out the complete works he'll see there's some random Geoff Senior art in place of the small panel of the Autobots watching the Decepticons leave the Ark).

It has to be said though, whilst it's historically important it's not Frank's best work.

As to why someone had Bob sign it, he worked on the comic even if he wasn't writing at that point so it's hardly a left field choice.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I did read somehwere that Bob plotted the mini, and also script-edited the thing, but Marvel rules about Editors editing their own work led to a various mish-mash of Bullpen jobbers giving it a once over and getting the main credit; once the series went regular, it was the editor's role that became largely nominal, with Budiansky performing a lot of the duties the role would entail (e.g. liasing with Hasbro).

No idea where I read that, or whether it was just someone's conjecture, but it's always had more than a ring of sense to it, especially when you consider Bob's not the type to bang on about how he created this or that.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Didn't Our Bob get "layout" credits for a lot of the early stuff, too?