[Prime] S02E02 Orion Pax, Part 2 [Spoilers, obv.]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

[Prime] S02E02 Orion Pax, Part 2 [Spoilers, obv.]

Post by Cliffjumper »

My word. They've done it, haven't they? This isn't, like, good for a Transformers show or the best TF show since whenever or some stupid qualified statement. This is actually simply good TV. Really tight episode. Things I liked:

- Starscream's largely inept bargaining
- Fowler's mugging when pretending to be Space Bridge Command, complete with Star Wars reference.
- Cybertron. This is our first real drive around a proper post-levelling Cybertron (that kids' comic doesn't count, forfeiting its' claim by having the planet packed to the margins with every non-Movie toy going), and the graphics are amazing.
- The Autobots continue to rock. I mean, they're not sitting around with their thumbs up their arses waiting for Prime to magically return, they've got an awesome plan and they're going for it. Ratchet especially is coming out beautifully.
- Jack is still superb, and once again the writers put Miko in her place. The salute - returned by Fowler - was ace.
- And there's still some big cinematic fight scenes along the way. Plus a creepy Cybertronian Ravage-swarmy thing under the bridge.

EXCITED. STILL.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Whilst not as totally sold on Prime as your good self Mr Cliffy, I have found the opening of series 2 to be a very very good. Mainly for the simple joy of doing something a bit more interesting with Optimus than having him stand around spouting fortune cookie cobblers from the big book of wise leaderly sayings (available in all good bookshops).

Although Megatron's use for the blank slate of Orion isn't what I expected (lets hope that Iacon project has a good payoff, it'll be a massive waste if it doesn't) and isn't really advanced in this second episode (more of him justifying the use of Prime in this manner and keeping potential troublemakers away), it's good to see a bit more of what makes Megatron tick. Over Transformers long life, we've never really got to properly know and understand what makes the two leaders the icons that they are, so hopefully this series of Prime will flesh them out a bit more.

Whilst I appreciated seeing Cybertron and the visuals were excellent, it being a dead world is a bit disappointing for me. Having it teem with life would no doubt be a bit off too (and expensive to realise). Again , its a facet of Transformers that's not been too deeply probed in any meaningful way before. Maybe that'll change, but I've always been interested to see what Cybertronian society is actually like (never mind any library of records or mystical places of great power guff) and it's just a bit of a shame to be slightly robbed of that for the cliche of the inhospitable dead planet. Perhaps it's the only realistic response for a planet of mechanoids with such destructive power at their disposal, but still...

The Autobots functioning much more as a team this episdoe was excellent, although I do wish Bumblebee had just been mute full stop. His childish electronic farts are as grating as Miko's shrill 'me-me'me' personality (and thank baby Jesus she's sidelined again this episode and that Optimus didn't have her look after the key - by now she'd have lost, broken or handed it to the Decepticons and gotten away with it and a shrug from everyone else, because it doesn't matter...). Also : I really like Jack's mum! How cool is she? I like her sensible-ness and the grounding she brings to proceedings. I like that she reminds the 'bots that these are just children they're palled up with. Still find Raf and Miko largely redundant though, Raf especially as he is less a character and more a plot device.

Anything else, well I hope Starscream makes good on his plans and the writers of Prime ditch the pathetic whininess of his G1 personality that irksomely crreps in everytime there's a whiff things might not be going his way (cf. every bloody time Megatron shows up). I can't fathom this cowardly, snivelling aspect of any Starscream's perosnality. How is that in anyway a remotely appealing aspect of this character? Really? I think what I dislike about it most is that it drags the character down.He's clearly reached his position in the Decepticon hierarchy through more than being cowardly and treacherous and Prime was doing so well to rehabilitate him, but then just buckled and we're back to the same old guff. I really though Prime would be the show to break the cycle and make good on dear old Bob's original Universe profile (yeah yeah, I know I'm measuring the character by the same lazy yard stick as everyone else but when he's riffing off everyone else's geewun inspired lunacy, what can you expect, plus that orignal profile paints Starscream in a much more capable and intelligent light than the wretched Sunbow Cartoon and any of the comics over the last 20 odd years would have you believe).

As ever, I'm optimistic about Prime's future and look forward to it doing some new things but it still has yet to totally floor me.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Skyquake87 wrote: Anything else, well I hope Starscream makes good on his plans and the writers of Prime ditch the pathetic whininess of his G1 personality that irksomely crreps in everytime there's a whiff things might not be going his way (cf. every bloody time Megatron shows up). I can't fathom this cowardly, snivelling aspect of any Starscream's perosnality. How is that in anyway a remotely appealing aspect of this character? Really? I think what I dislike about it most is that it drags the character down.He's clearly reached his position in the Decepticon hierarchy through more than being cowardly and treacherous and Prime was doing so well to rehabilitate him, but then just buckled and we're back to the same old guff. I really though Prime would be the show to break the cycle and make good on dear old Bob's original Universe profile (yeah yeah, I know I'm measuring the character by the same lazy yard stick as everyone else but when he's riffing off everyone else's geewun inspired lunacy, what can you expect, plus that orignal profile paints Starscream in a much more capable and intelligent light than the wretched Sunbow Cartoon and any of the comics over the last 20 odd years would have you believe).
I still think here it makes sense. He has to snivel and kow tow to Megatron to stay functioning, or did anyways. This version of Megs is big, tough, strong, and a lunatic. At the first whiff of serious betrayal that might lead to something more he about offed Screamer mob style. I get the feeling it's more an act this version of Starscream is putting on then who he really is. He tried the act with the Autobots, and when it obviously wasn't working he tried something else. He also used that same act to off the two 'cons in the last episode.

No one likes the sniveling kiss ass, but then again few people suspect them of treachery on a grand scale. Only Soundwave is that much of a paranoid, but that's his job.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yeah, I think the second season is going to be just fine. I don't know if it's down to the fine folk uploading the episodes for my consumption or a genuine production error, but there seem to be a lot of nasty frame-rate drops that put my teeth on edge.

Oh, and Orion Pax probably should have twigged as soon as he talked to Starscream without an episode sitting at the keyboard going, 'Hmmm,' but I suppose they like to give Cullen something to do.

And hot damn, Starscream's escape sequence was kind of incredible, was it not?
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Terome wrote: And hot damn, Starscream's escape sequence was kind of incredible, was it not?
He may play the part of a weak coward, but he can fight, fly, and has no problem killing anyone.
Terome

Post by Terome »

He may play the part of a weak coward, but he can fight, fly, and has no problem killing anyone.
It's a small thing, but giving the Eradicon voices and the slightest sketch of a personality really serves the show, especially if they are brutally executed by gunshot to the head in the very next scene.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I like the way they're not drones, but just often don't have much to say. I have a feeling that they were more drone-like to begin with to avoid any controversy over the violent ending some of them meet ("Look away now Miko!" *TV screen shows robot being torn apart, Miko makes the same comment all the desensitised nippers at home are making*), and as no such shit-storm has started they're cutting loose a bit.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I have downloaded both parts of the season 2 opener and intend to watch at leisure... it does look pretty hot damn!

I'm with Cliffy: this is definitely one of the very best TF imaginings ever and it doesn't assume the audience is made up of little boys.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Clogs wrote:I have downloaded both parts of the season 2 opener and intend to watch at leisure... it does look pretty hot damn!
The season premier is a three-parter, actually.
Cliffjumper wrote:I like the way they're not drones, but just often don't have much to say.
I find that this is a big part of the show's charm for me, too. Treating the Vehicons like people makes them a bigger threat, and also makes it more interesting than if they were faceless drones like their namesakes. But the generic character models probably help with parents, since if you're not really paying attention it would be easy to miss the times when they get little snippets of characterization -- so the people whose kids are watching the show probably don't mind the violence against them as much as if it was against unique, named characters.

Oh, and all three of the episodes were awesome. :)
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Is it? Scrap - I've got to go track that 3rd ep down, then.

I only found the 2 and, with no notes to the contrary...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It was only broadcast yesterday IIRC.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

its up on Youtube, although uploaders are now resorting to playing it mirrored as Hasbro/ Youtube seem to be serving cease and desist notices to folk. Part of their new privacy policy..? Bit daft when Hasbro have the Youtube logo slapped on the toy packaging....

Anyway, good conclusion and kept me off guard with Orion discovering where his loyalties lie without the Matrix. I was just expecting him just to have the key plugged in to restore his memory so this came as a nice suprise.