Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I said something about it in a thread Denyer was monitoring. If sigpics are really becoming such a problem that you might turn them off, why not allow avatars as our pics instead and limit sigs to 3-4 lines of text?
Denyer

Because...

Post by Denyer »

...people can do the same things with text as they can with images. It doesn't solve the problem. No sigs would, but we already have that option -- we're just keeping things nicer for those who want to use them.
Computron

Post by Computron »

And if you really get fed up with the sigs you can always turn them off in your user menu. I never have sigs on now and am so glad of it as the place seems a lot easier to read

--Compy
I support a ban on powerposting
Sir Auros

Re: Because...

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
...people can do the same things with text as they can with images. It doesn't solve the problem. No sigs would, but we already have that option -- we're just keeping things nicer for those who want to use them.
But what if there were limits on how many lines the sigs were, like say 3-4 lines of text, that's what I was suggesting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

One possibility (used at XSOrbit and Seibertron, for instance) is to "physically" limit the number of characters of text used in a sig. However, this makes putting more than one or two links in a sig almost impossible.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Personally I find the system of guidelines and "oi, that's too bloody big!" works pretty well...
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Personally I find the system of guidelines and "oi, that's too bloody big!" works pretty well...
I second that. Besides "that sig is too big" causes sometimes hilarious debates or should I type "debates" :D
neoprimestar
Protoform

Post by neoprimestar »

Originally posted by Osku

I second that. Besides "that sig is too big" causes sometimes hilarious debates or should I type "debates" :D
\\\:

:( our Sigs like mine too big?

I thought my sig was funny:D
"Be happy! Smile!Share a smile!"
Which Final Fantasy Girl are you? take the test @ http://ffgirl.deep-ice.com
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The regs are all in here: :)

http://tfarchive.com/messageboard.shtml
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Originally posted by Osku

Yeah to those not involved, but believe me, I was pretty ticked off when 4 mods were on me about my sig, but that is all worked out now, and it was over text, not my picture.

I found, thru the help of Denyer, that you can make a picture within the regs, with most of the text you want, without taking up a ton of space.

I think it is much better this way.
Denyer

Might as well post said suggestion here...

Post by Denyer »

...since we can't use HTML in our sigs (which would allow for the use of multi-column tables to lay them out), you can still add a fairly long quote to a reasonably thin sig by putting it by the side of the rest of the image in your graphics editor. :)

You can see this effect (with short quotes and large lettering) in sigs such as Lord Zarak's...
Cyber
Protoform

Post by Cyber »

But is it possible to add avatars too?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

No. Sir Auros wouldn't be asking about avatars if he could just use one... :)