TF/Avengers - new art

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Clogs

TF/Avengers - new art

Post by Clogs »

OK -

http://www.marvel.com/blogs/Tom_Brevoort/entry/728

Sorry, page is protected and I can't lift it out for you, but go look. Sketch image of OP and a mix of Avengers and X-Men. Some other pretty stuff, too....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not bad, nothing amazing -- contours are a bit stretched.

Nice find though. :up:
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

That' really nice. And yeah, good find!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Is that a Mirage there, next to (presumably) Ironhide?

This could be fun. I just read some scans of the Image GI JOE crossovers, despite the conventional wisdom being that they are ****. They are a little bit, but they're not offensively so. I imagine this Avengers sortie will be a bit like that.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Originally posted by Neuronutter
That' really nice. And yeah, good find!

even for a black and white line sketch, this looks delicious. it almost resembles old school transformer designs mixed with new innovative engineering to make sure the transformations work (or i think so). good job and kudos to the artist :)
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Hawkeye
Protoform

Re: TF/Avengers - new art

Post by Hawkeye »

Originally posted by Clogs
OK -

http://www.marvel.com/blogs/Tom_Brevoort/entry/728

Sorry, page is protected and I can't lift it out for you, but go look. Sketch image of OP and a mix of Avengers and X-Men. Some other pretty stuff, too....

nope all avengers....like it or not(like me) wolverine is now an avenger and that is luke cage rather than professor X.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Clogs

Re: Re: TF/Avengers - new art

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
nope all avengers....like it or not(like me) wolverine is now an avenger and that is luke cage rather than professor X.

Marvel should be ashamed, working poor Wolvie like that. Just how many books is he featuring in now, in addition to several of his own? That's continuity shot, then... and they go and add TFs.

Seriously; Power Man? Oh, how things have changed :wall:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Just how many books is he featuring in now, in addition to several of his own?
Two. One of which appears tri-monthly or so.
JDandCoke7
Protoform

Post by JDandCoke7 »

Originally posted by Terome
Is that a Mirage there, next to (presumably) Ironhide?...

If you mean to the right of Prime and Ironhide, I think it looks more like Wheeljack...
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

i beleive wolverine is pretty much cut out of x-men apart from the astonishing book. I mean I guess its always possible for a guest apperance but he's only a regular on astonishing.

of course he has two of his own regular series and usually has some sort of mini going on (but this is true of all the big ones spider-man, bats, supes).

He came out on the side of anti-reg so he's gone underground with the other new avengers.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Originally posted by Ozz
Two. One of which appears tri-monthly or so.

Exactly. New Avengers, Astonishing X-Men and two of his own. And since Astonishing, as mentioned, appears so infrequently it barely counts, and Origins is so middling and boring it shouldn't count.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Civ

Re: Re: Re: TF/Avengers - new art

Post by Civ »

Seriously; Power Man? Oh, how things have changed :wall:

Admittedly, I'm rather new to reading about Power Man/Luke Cage but based on what I've read (New Avengers -- almost the whole thing, Secret War, bits of Civil War), he's one of the more interesting characters in New Avengers -- far better than Spider-Man and Wolverine thus far. Right now, for me, it's a toss-up between him and Spider-Woman for who's the most interesting and I think they're the main characters that really carry the New Avengers book while Wolverine and Spider-Man are probably used just to gain interest in it. I'm not sure about that last thought but it does sort of seem that way. At least both Spider-Man and Wolverine have their own individual books where they can grow/stagnate/whatever with the New Avengers unlike Cage and Spider-Woman. What was Power Man like back when he wore a yellow, disco shirt? I don't know.

On topic, I'm definitely going to pick up this book. Mixing Transformers and Avengers (two of my faves) into one book is an immediate buy for me. Whether or not the story will be any good, I'll just have to wait and see.
Clogs

Re: Re: Re: Re: TF/Avengers - new art

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by Civ
What was Power Man like back when he wore a yellow, disco shirt? I don't know.

He beat up on a lot of black (as in racial origin) baddies, wore a chain in a totally non-offensive manner and had serious hair. Was that a disco shirt? Oh, well - Shang-chi wore 'jamas :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Civ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TF/Avengers - new art

Post by Civ »

Was that a disco shirt? Oh, well - Shang-chi wore 'jamas :D
Beats me. I'm just quoting one of the artists from the Secret War book who described what it was like to design Cage's outfit during for the big battle in Latveria.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Re: Re: Re: Re: TF/Avengers - new art

Post by Hawkeye »

Originally posted by Civ
Admittedly, I'm rather new to reading about Power Man/Luke Cage but based on what I've read (New Avengers -- almost the whole thing, Secret War, bits of Civil War), he's one of the more interesting characters in New Avengers -- far better than Spider-Man and Wolverine thus far. Right now, for me, it's a toss-up between him and Spider-Woman for who's the most interesting and I think they're the main characters that really carry the New Avengers book while Wolverine and Spider-Man are probably used just to gain interest in it. I'm not sure about that last thought but it does sort of seem that way. At least both Spider-Man and Wolverine have their own individual books where they can grow/stagnate/whatever with the New Avengers unlike Cage and Spider-Woman. What was Power Man like back when he wore a yellow, disco shirt? I don't know.

On topic, I'm definitely going to pick up this book. Mixing Transformers and Avengers (two of my faves) into one book is an immediate buy for me. Whether or not the story will be any good, I'll just have to wait and see.

Spider-woman? really? ive been collecting new avengers since issue one and all I can get from spider-woman is a big "meh". I dont hate her or anything and I think she's fine in the book but I just dont feel like bendis is doing much with her.

sure she had the whole hydra plot but its like they forgot about it for civil war. When I read bendis' interviews prior to the re-launch he stated that he wanted to make her like this bad-ass dark "batman" style character and while the foundations were laid in her story arc it just doesnt feel like they did much with her.

sure she had a mini that launched out of her arc but id like it more if they did more with her in the book.

as for Luke cage I certainly agree with you about his prominence, he is Bendis' heterosexual man crush. to me its Luke and Spider-man that are the main characters in this book...these guys are the breakout duo of 2006 to be sure. for a guy as popular as wolverine it doesnt seem like they do a whole lot with his character in the book to justify his inclusion but im sure he'll get his chance to shine.
Civ

Post by Civ »

The thing with Spider-Woman for me is that prior to New Avengers, I didn't know anything about her at all other than she wore a red and yellow suit. Since reading about her in New Avengers, I liked that they made her femme badass since when she took down Wolverine, who ambushed her, and she stuck his own claws into his throat. I also liked how she just wasn't a one-trick pony when it came to fighting when she used that phermone power of hers to seduce the Wrecker (I thing that's him, the green suit guy with the purplish mask) which set him up to be taken down by Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Luke Cage.

For awhile there, what made her the most interesting to me was that she was an apparent double agent for both SHIELD and Hydra. Regretfully, I missed her mini series so I'm not sure what happened there. As for Marvel forgetting about Hydra during the Civil War, I'm not sure they did -- at least, not completely. They did have her on Hydra Island for a bit until she decided to blow at least a good portion of the base to smithereens before joining Cap's side since she had "no where else to go". Just recently, she was also betrayed by Ms. Marvel, who apparently goes way back with Jessica, so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

As for Spidey, I have to admit, I think he's an annoying, whiney weenie in this book. It almost feels as though the author (Bendis?) is trying too hard to make Spider-Man funny and it's falling flat for me. Stuff like saying "ew", "booties", and general other whiney-ish comments are really killing for me in this book.

A side note for Wolverine, which I hope carries over through the New Avengers, is his threat towards Iron Man if he had anything to do with Cap's death. I loved that whole segment and hope to see more of that for Wolvey in the NA book instead of "hey! We need someone to take a really big, nasty hit and live! I know let's use Wolverine!" -- sorta like a tackling dummy.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

So, this Spider Woman is, in actual fact, the original from waayyy back when? Jessica.. um.. Drew, wasn't it? I have a few of the comics somewhere among the loft insulating boxes, but was never struck. Sounds like they've revamped her by slipping in a bit of Viper's character and a tinsy drop of Electra.

Nah. I'll give the Avengers a miss, but I might well pick up the TF crossover out of curiosity.

Just picked this up from Marvel website:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Comic Con: New Avengers/Transformers

Earth's Mightiest Heroes collide with the Robots in Disguise this summer

By Ryan Penagos and Greg Draudt

As announced at New York Comic Con, Earth's Mightiest Heroes are preparing to meet the Robots in Disguise for a major crossover this summer in NEW AVENGERS/TRANSFORMERS. Launching July 5th, alongside the premiere of the big-budget blockbuster "Transformers" movie, the four-issue comic crossover is being brought to life by writer Stuart Moore and penciler Tyler Kirkham. Here's the 411 on the series.

"NEW AVENGERS/TRANSFORMERS will star the Transformer characters that readers have come to know in the new series that IDW launched last year," explains series editor Bill Rosemann. "We're following the tone set by IDW -- a modern 'Ultimate' style of storytelling that also provides a classic take on the Autobots and Decepticons."

"It's a great combination of characters," says writer Stuart Moore. "The take-no-prisoners, military tone of NEW AVENGERS fits perfectly with the new, bigger-and-badder-than-ever TRANSFORMERS. The science fiction angle is right up my street, and I'm also very psyched about writing a huge, planetary-scale widescreen action comic. I haven't really done that before."

With so many factors involved, keeping a project like this together is a bear. Luckily, Rosemann has it on lockdown. "We are creating and publishing it on Marvel's side, however, we are working very closely with Chris Ryall at IDW. He's been with us every step of the way as far as the Transformer characters go, and all that is being overseen by Hasbro to make sure that their characters are being portrayed properly," says Rosemann. "Even though it's a jointly produced project, our aim is to approach it as a Marvel book using Marvel creators, so it will be interesting to see creators you don't usually associate with these characters, that haven't had a chance to do these characters and to also see our characters interact with them."

"Stuart Moore has a lot of experience writing sci-fi flavored projects, which is how we're approaching this," explains Rosemann. "He's done a lot of interesting indie sci-fi books and he also has experience writing Marvel characters. Stuart has also written WOLVERINE and last years' NEW AVENGERS military special, so he's familiar both with our characters as well. We're approaching this as serious as you can get when it comes to superheroes and giant robots, sort of an espionage-flavored, military-themed, sci fi combination. Our characters experience these huge robots and they don't know who they are, or whether they're allies or enemies. The New Avengers are confronted by vehicles that can transform into giant robots and that can be kind of scary."

"Tyler Kirkam, who is part of the Marvel/Top Cow connection, has done some really intense, detail-driven work on The Darkness, the Darkness/Superman crossover and recently for Marvel he penciled X-MEN: PHOENIX - WARSONG. When you look at that last issue, you can really see the emotion and drama that Tyler brings to the table. We're not approaching this as a kiddie cartoon. We're not watering this down. We're gonna make this kind of scary and intense. It's going to be an intense collision between these two groups, and Tyler is really going to bring the heat."

While all details are yet to be revealed, there are a few juicy tidbits to talk about. "We are approaching this as a shared world," notes Rosemann, "but the Transformers, you know, as the famous tagline says, they're robots in disguise. They've been here the whole time. If you've read the first two Transformer story arcs, you know they don't take place in New York City, where the Avengers seem to spend most of their time, so these characters just haven't met each other yet. We're framing this story as taking place between the first two NEW AVENGERS story arcs and the location is actually the border between the nations of Symkaria and Latveria -- so we're considering it a Marvel story that counts in continuity."

"It's the New Avengers cast from the early issues of that book, before CIVIL WAR -- Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Cage and Wolverine, with some help from the Falcon and Ms. Marvel," adds Moore. "On the Autobots' side, it's pretty much the team established in the IDW miniseries INFILTRATION: Prowl, Ratchet, Jazz, Bumblebee and Optimus Prime, who's just arrived to lead the team. There are a lot of Decepticons, too...after all, they have twice as many heroes to fight! And since the action takes place in and around Latveria, it's just possible that a certain Doctor is involved somehow. But I'm not saying."

Look for much more on this project as we get closer to the launch, including details on the NEW AVENGERS/TRANSFORMERS story, artwork and much more. Keep up on all our New York Comic Con coverage.

HASBRO and its logo, TRANSFORMERS, and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro and are used with permission. Copyright 2007 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queue fight between scary RiDs and Avengers, followed by a team-up against the 'Cons, with Dr Doom as the cherry on the top.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Civ

Post by Civ »

So, this Spider Woman is, in actual fact, the original from waayyy back when? Jessica.. um.. Drew, wasn't it?

I believe it is Jessica Drew unless Marvel pulled a Jean Grey/Madylene Pryor move I'm not aware of. Has this ever been the case for Miss Drew? Anyone?
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Spider-Woman in New Avengers is Jessica Drew.

What's a Jean Grey/Madylene Pryor move?
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Ozz
What's a Jean Grey/Madylene Pryor move?

I could be very well mistaken but wasn't Madylene Pryor a clone of Jean Grey (or something like that) who masqueraded as her for a bit? I was just wondering if there was such a scenario involving Jessica.