I have transformer comic books #1-4

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Scraplet
Protoform

I have transformer comic books #1-4

Post by Scraplet »

The original series. They are in mint conditions. Does anyone have an idea how much they are worth today? :confused:
Denyer

(moved to Toys & Merchandise)

Post by Denyer »

Which printing? There are actually two versions of issue four. One on the last page of which the Decepticons are poisoned by Sparkplug's fuel, the other with the conventional ending which leads into the rest of the eighty issue series.

As for value... no idea.
Attachments
alternate ending.jpg
alternate ending.jpg (149.4 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Scraplet
Protoform

Post by Scraplet »

I have the ones you have pictured on the site. US 01, US 02, US 03, US 04. I got them in highschool circa 1988 if I remember right.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Watch prices on eBay for a while, would be my advice. Catalogue prices are irrelevant unless you can find a buyer... they might go up, they might go down.

All of the stories are available in the "Beginnings" trade paperback, so your market is those people who collected bagged comics, I'd have thought.
Scraplet
Protoform

Post by Scraplet »

I don't want to sell them. Im definitely gonna hold on to them. I've had them for this long so I might as well stick it out and see if they go up in value. I just want to find out the current market value.
Ultimate Weapon

Re: (moved to Toys & Merchandise)

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Denyer
Which printing? There are actually two versions of issue four. One on the last page of which the Decepticons are poisoned by Sparkplug's fuel, the other with the conventional ending which leads into the rest of the eighty issue series.

Let me guess, sugar in the tank?

Bwaahahahahaha!:D
Scraplet
Protoform

Re: (moved to Toys & Merchandise)

Post by Scraplet »

As for value... no idea.

Now That I remember it, its that one. At the end shockwave ends up blasting them to be the only one left standing. I have a lot of transformers comic books, even some GI Joe vs. Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

US #1-4? Not much more than about $20 for the set, if they're mint. They don't go for a lot. They sold quite a bit for TF comics, and it's the later US stuff that costs a bit more.

Oh, and there's no proof that the "alternate" version of US #4 made it to print. I don't care what Zobovor says. The scan of the alternate ending comes from the UK Complete Works Volume 2 "trade". I've yet to hear of anyone actually owning a copy with the "Autobots win" ending, and I can't see Marvel running such a massively altered second printing to allow a cool cliffhanger for a toy comic.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ah, right. I've got the first but not the second, so I've never actually seen it in the flesh, so to speak.

I'd give benefit of the doubt to a first newsstand printing having the neat wrap-up ending, since there are only very slight differences between... do we have any info about the publishing gap / dates from the start of the US run?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You mean how far before the cover date were Marvel comics arriving at the time? About a month.

Complete Works V2 is the reason a) Crespo could do the scan and b) it has page 48 in it.

At best, the alternate ending will appear on a handful of Marvel inhouse copies of #4. They also probably omitted the Dinobots/Shockwave pages as they'd have been pretty irrelevant.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I can't see Marvel running such a massively altered second printing to allow a cool cliffhanger for a toy comic.
I have no idea where I got the impression, but wasn't there a gap between the first comic release (as a mini-series) and its continuation? Hence republishing to meet demand, etc.

Since the alt ending was designed to wrap things up as an inclusive mini-series (and also formed rather a dead end as far as the story went), it doesn't seem implausible that one printing plate be redone...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I have no idea where I got the impression, but wasn't there a gap between the first comic release (as a mini-series) and its continuation? Hence republishing to meet demand, etc.

Since the alt ending was designed to wrap things up as an inclusive mini-series (and also formed rather a dead end as far as the story went), it doesn't seem implausible that one printing plate be redone...

There was... I got the wrong end of what you were asking. However, I don't thing it was too long... a couple of months or something. Not a lot considering the mini was bi-monthly, certainly.

And if a first printing with the alternate ending sold out, the alternate ending would be as common as muck, and the version with the canon ending would probably be a little harder to find - and pricier. The first printing for #4 would have been pretty sizeable, as even with gathering sales being more difficult then, they'd have known by then it was a hit. The idea that issue #4 would go to the presses before Marvel had made their decision, with three big-selling comics already gone, isn't something I'd place much, if any, stock in.

Also, you'd get a lot more people asking what the Hell was happening, both in the letters pages and on the board. Like I say, I've yet to hear of anyone who owns or has seen an alternate US #4, and considering we're talking a 75 cent comic which sold tens of thousands of copies a scant two decades ago, and up until three or four years ago most comic shops wouldn't have taken off your hands for free, I think it can be firmly booted into Blue Bluestreak territory.

That said, next time I'm in a comic shop, I'll ask to leaf through a few price guides. If some of those don't have a rare alternate version of Transformers #4 [and these are the kinds of book that list everything and to be honest have much better resources at their disposal than you and me put together] listed, I think we can boot it into orange Bluestreak territory.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The first printing for #4 would have been pretty sizeable, as even with gathering sales being more difficult then, they'd have known by then it was a hit.
I thought sales were respectable but nothing fantastic? 'Course, I also got the impression that the first four were reprinted...

I'm wondering if there were solicitation copies produced before a major run. Be very curious to see what info could be dug up. I'm surprised the page didn't come with some kind of basic explanation in the Complete Works volume...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Right, drunk, bear with me...

Sales were really good for the mini, as far as I know. At the time it was something of a rarity for a mini to be turned into an ongoing, especially so quickly... Mini reprinted? Genuinely no idea. It's difficult to tell, seeing as Marvel practise was to simply add "Second Printing" to the legal box on the bottom of the title page, rather than use it as an excuse for another 25 pieces of artwork too ****ty for use on a first print cover. But, theoretically, and possibly even legally, if the alternate ending was printed and retailed commercially, any copy with the Shockwave ending should have "Second printing" on it.

Solicitation copies are really more of a recent thing. It would have been more "this is about a hot toy; if you stock this, it'll bring kids with money into your store".

As for how it ended up in CW, it seems quite simple to me. Marvel UK received most of the original material for their comic; right down to uncoloured pencils [look at, say, Warrior School - the b & w stuff there is much too crisp and clean to be monochrome reprints], and were probably sent the alternate ending in case the thing died on its arse come issue 8. This would have simply been retained, and with CW not doing too well, allowed a sense of closure.

Just think of the timescale involved. We're presuming issue 4, sans Shockwave, was sent to press, then Marvel or Hasbro decided on an ongoing series, and then Springer was called in to draw a new final page or more, which then had to be inked and coloured, and then send to the presses and printed, by which time Marvel are either left with around 50,000 alternate comics, or they've already been shipped and presumably sold in similar numbers.

Marvel are sloppy in a number of ways, but seeing a way to sell comics isn't something they're slow at.
Scraplet
Protoform

Post by Scraplet »

The ones I have aren't 2nd printings. They're originals. I got them from this kid who collected comic books, as part payment for doing his Social studies long range project. The comic books and 20 bucks. Also I've collected a lot of comic books over the years. I even have the entire Infinitely Gauntlet Triology(All 3 series, all 1st printing). So I'm aware of which comics are 2nd printings and which ones are not. Actually I have a pretty funny story of how I found out about that. My cousin knew I collected comic books. So he offered to give me his collection. When I was going thru them I noticed an X-Men #1. I was like whoa! I thought to myself my cousin doesn't know what he just gave away. I was happier then a pig in ...well u know. ;) However, upon closer inspection I noticed the little asterick and the second printing script. I came down from the clouds pretty quick after reading that.lol
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

If it makes you feel any better, the first printing of X-Men #1 is pretty much worthless too. That's the downside of a million-selling comic.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Scraplet
I even have the entire Infinitely Gauntlet Triology(All 3 series, all 1st printing).

You do know there are now something like six parts to that whole thing, right?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

theoretically, and possibly even legally, if the alternate ending was printed and retailed commercially, any copy with the Shockwave ending should have "Second printing" on it.
No legal requirement, just a nod to secondary markets... either way, with an altered storyline, it wouldn't be a second printing.

Wasn't the Marvel trend at the time to replace the bar code with the Spiderman head logo for second prints?
with CW not doing too well, allowed a sense of closure.
What's interesting is that the alt ending page is drawn so differently to the 'regular' ending... Prime's head is a different shape and has the longer antennae. The word box is a different style meeting the edge of the frame, and the chest flanges have been switched from the frame next to it.

It actually appears that the neat wrap-up ending was done afterwards. If we're certain about uncoloured pencils, that could partly be down to the inking process, I suppose.

Still can't see how it would have slipped into a hardback volume unremarked, when interest in the comic was pretty high in 86-87.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wasn't the Marvel trend at the time to replace the bar code with the Spiderman head logo for second prints?
Nope. That was to distinguish newstand copies from Direct Editions. More recently, i.e. since comic stores became big enough business to afford barcade scanners, one barcode has direct edition and one doesn't - though most comics now sell only through comic stores.

Still can't see how it would have slipped into a hardback volume unremarked, when interest in the comic was pretty high in 86-87.
It doesn't make sense, but it is what happened. Now, whether there were two editions of Complete Works 2 is something I can't tell you. What I do know is that CW2 is nowhere near as common as the first. Maybe it was pulled?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It doesn't make sense, but it is what happened. Now, whether there were two editions of Complete Works 2 is something I can't tell you. What I do know is that CW2 is nowhere near as common as the first. Maybe it was pulled?
The US print has the exactly same colour bleed as the UK published alt ending... which means only the bottom-right panel was changed. It appears that someone took the trouble to have an alternate ending inked up and coloured (and possibly drawn) after the Shockwave ending was completed... I can see that the wrap-up ending might be appealing to an editor, but there are four pages of prior reference to him; were these all discarded from the CW Vol. 2 or simply the last page?

CW Vol. 2 was definitely limited circulation... there was one on eBay recently, but I've never had a copy; might have to keep a look out.