UPDATE: Michael Bay is NOT quitting Transformers

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

UPDATE: Michael Bay is NOT quitting Transformers

Post by inflatable dalek »

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20090618/ten ... 0bd6d.html
Michael Bay has made his last Transformers movie - the director is set to quit the action franchise because he has "had enough" of making big budget blockbusters.

The filmmaker helmed the original 2007 movie and returned this year with its sequel - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

But Bay, who is known for his explosive action sequences, is sick of receiving negative reviews from critics who dislike his movie-making style and is determined to move away from the genre.

He says, "It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."

And Bay admits that if film bosses give the go ahead for a third Transformers movie, they will have to find a different director.

He adds, "After the three and a half years I've spent making these movies, I feel like I've had enough of the Transformers world.

"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions."
So how long into his arty French film do you think it'll be before something blows up?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

He makes valid points.

So, who would be best to replace him for the threequel without completely discarding the "feel" of the series. Brett Ratner? McG? Tony Scott?
inflatable dalek

I think the brand is established enough now that they don't need a big name director to get bums on seats (or if they really do it needs to be a insanely big name, something to stop Spielberg doing Indy 5 perhaps?). Get some cocky young gun full of ideas and explosions to take over.

Having said that... Tony Scott could probably make a good job of it.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Oh, I don't give a toss about big names. I'm concerned more about people who can actually pull off a big-budget wide-focus action sequence and aren't jobbing hacks.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I'm not entirely convinced Bay is capable of making anything other than action films with big explosions, and he may be shooting himself in the foot there...

Also seems uncharacteristic of him to bow down and pander to critics - he always comes across as rediculously cock-sure. I suppose, if that has changed, maybe he could actually do a film with depth that doesn't have a cushion of big explosions to entertain people when the plot fails to grip...

I do hope that a third film would be made by someone who can keep things feeling as 'real' (I know that's stretching the use of the word!), and it won't be a disasterous joke like Jurassic Park 3... But I'm sure there are plenty of people capable of delivering. It's not exactly rocket-science!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

inflatable dalek wrote: So how long into his arty French film do you think it'll be before something blows up?
A Bay film without explosions? Point?

Since when does he care about critics. Some of his films have been good, even with the explosions. TF and Bad Boys come to mind.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Neuronutter wrote:Since when does he care about critics.
Since the media seem determined on perpetuating the notion he's a flashy hack who doesn't make "real" films without even bothering to watch them first.

He's sick of being pre-judged by all and sundry. Don't say I blame him in the slightest. Case in point: who the **** genuinely expected Ben Affleck to be able to direct?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ah, but is Monsieur Bay backing out or is this just a subtle way of letting everyone know there IS to be a TF3?

... or not, if someone with the nous doesn't take his place?

Or they/the public can persuade him to return for oodles more cash?

Interestingly, some batches of wine bottles can spontaneously explode due to refermentation if there is still residual sugar in the product or, perish the thought, the bottle was not sterilised properly. The carbon dioxide build-up 'blows' the cork: not so much an explosion as a cannonade (puns intentional... sorry...).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote: Case in point: who the **** genuinely expected Ben Affleck to be able to direct?
*Raises hand* Despite his lack of acting talent he's always come across as a thoughtful and smart fellow in interviews so him making a better director wouldn't be that much of a surprise. No idea if that film of his actually backs up this theory though.

I do agree with Clogs, it's not impossible this is a Roger Mooreish "I'm not coming back! How much? OK" manoeuvre.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Gone Baby Gone is indeed a good little movie. Well made, at the very least.
Clogs wrote:Ah, but is Monsieur Bay backing out or is this just a subtle way of letting everyone know there IS to be a TF3?
Considering there'd already been an official announcement that there would be, I doubt it.

FUN GAME I JUST FOUNDINATED!
http://www.empireonline.com/features/michael-bay-quiz/
Name the Bay film from the explosion. :o
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clogs wrote:Interestingly, some batches of wine bottles can spontaneously explode due to refermentation if there is still residual sugar in the product or, perish the thought, the bottle was not sterilised properly. The carbon dioxide build-up 'blows' the cork: not so much an explosion as a cannonade (puns intentional... sorry...).
And just imagine what would happen, if, during that tense scene where the childhood sweethearts finally reveal their feelings, one of those corks goes off, hits a candle straight into the chainsaw kept in the shed?

Could be BOOM! Razorsharp shards everywhere!

You know, I think Bay could do the arty serious wine flick afterall...

:swirly:

However, to be serious, Bay did say he wouldn't come back for the second film, just due to his preference of HD video media. This is a slightly more sensible reason, but may also flop. Either way, it does reinforce the fact that Bay really does come across as a bit of a shallow prat - and that does not bode well for serious deep film making. On the otherhand, he has a Hell of a talent for capturing epic and explosive action on camera, and a great eye for making it look beautiful, with one foot in gritty reality and the other in Hollywood magic. That actually seems a rare talent these days, if the blockbusters are anything to go by, and I think he has far better opportunity of continuing to distinguish himself in this area than he does at ever winning at the Sundance Film Festival. And that's nothing to be ashamed of - just like I'm an ecologist that does birds, reptiles, spiders etc. but will never be a plant man.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Clay

Post by Clay »

He makes valid points.

But it also seems like a publicity stunt. Time will tell.

Personally I think the movie franchise could due for a 3-4 year break, lest everyone else get burned out too.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

If only Steven Spielberg remains, it'll be alright I guess...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Rattrap's tail wrote:If only Steven Spielberg remains, it'll be alright I guess...
Spielberg was attached to Jurassic Park 3, so no.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

I'll do it!
inflatable dalek

And lest we forget his last attempt to give us a intelligent thoughtful film resulted in The Island.
Springer145

Post by Springer145 »

Bryan Singer? He certainly did justice to the X-Men films he was a part of...Besides, if we want a higher level of plot and intelligence, as well as seriousness (because I know I do) he might be the go-to guy. He might try to twist it too much into a social commentary, however.

Xbox 360 gamertag: Skyfall865
inflatable dalek

Though his Superman film managed a sedate level of dullness.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Haven't ever seen that one, so I don't know it... But was it so bad then??
numbat

Post by numbat »

I really think Spielberg lost the plot a good while back, and his role as an executive producer is perhaps the level of creative involvement that's best for him now... (As long as he keeps a little distance, whilst stumping up the cash, all should be fine!)

And I'm not sure I really want Transformers to become more serious... I think that could go quite badly wrong! I'm quite happy with the level of seriousness in the first film. But, then, Skids and Mudflap look to take the level down a notch in ROTF. I guess I'll have to wait and judge that tomorrow. Still, I suppose that could balance a darker film.

A break of a few years wouldn't be a bad thing - two years to deliver this level of film must have resulted in a number of nervous breakdowns!

Also items on eBay.