brawl=Devastator?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
fembot4eva
Protoform

brawl=Devastator?

Post by fembot4eva »

whats up with brawl being labeled as devastator in the movie?
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Bay liked the name better.

Personally I wish "Devestator" had been reserved for later use (on a constructicon combiner), but it is a suitable name for a tank.
Come on and wind me up.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

According to both script writer, Robert Orci as well as Aaron Archer of Hasbro, the use of the name "Devastator" in the subtitling was an error. It is supposed to be Brawl. From what Orci said on te movie message boards. That error was repeatedly brought up in the dailies, and still no one got around to fixing it. This was confirmed at BotCon when Aaron Archer specifically satated it was a continuity error. The correct name is Brawl.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Though as Devastator is still the onscreen name (and is now being used in the spin off fiction) that's what it is.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

All of the spin-off fiction I have read has the name "Brawl" being used. That isncludes the prequel novel and the novelization, movie storybook, movie guide book, the prequel comic, the comci that accompanied he Special edition DVD, etc. To my knowledge, the only Spin-off fiction using the "Devastator" name is the UK comic. In the US, all spin-off fiction uses the correct name, Brawl.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

....and you've been warned about that before. The name in the film's Devastator, it's correct for that. Final warning.
inflatable dalek

Or the UK comic is the only one to use the correct name.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I hope this doesnt become a continuing discussion/argument like the whole Rumble/Frenzy thing cos everyone sodding knows RIBFIR ;)
inflatable dalek

No, Rumble is a TRUUUUKKKK Frenzy is a MUNNNKY. Every fool knows that.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
No, Rumble is a TRUUUUKKKK Frenzy is a MUNNNKY. Every fool knows that.

Rumble is a Honda, Frenzy is a Porsche?

On-topic, and hopefully bottom line: There is no absolute correct name for the character. His name in the film and the UK collection of bound napkins is Devastator; in the toyline it's Decepticon Brawl, in other spin-off merchandise it's plain Brawl. It's one of those things without a single answer. It may have been an 'error' in the film in terms of 'something they shouldn't have done', but it's like (dovetailing nicely) Frenzy having pile-driver arms in TF:TM (and probably other episodes). He probably shouldn't have, but he did, and there we go, it's done now and can't be changed. That Devastator remained unchanged on the DVD suggests it was someone, somewhere's deliberate choice. Please no more circular arguments on it - it's exactly like "Which one's Frenzy and which one's Rumble?". The answer is "It depends".
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
I hope this doesnt become a continuing discussion/argument like the whole Rumble/Frenzy thing cos everyone sodding knows RIBFIR ;)
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Rumble is a Honda, Frenzy is a Porsche?

On-topic, and hopefully bottom line: There is no absolute correct name for the character. His name in the film and the UK collection of bound napkins is Devastator; in the toyline it's Decepticon Brawl, in other spin-off merchandise it's plain Brawl. It's one of those things without a single answer. It may have been an 'error' in the film in terms of 'something they shouldn't have done', but it's like (dovetailing nicely) Frenzy having pile-driver arms in TF:TM (and probably other episodes). He probably shouldn't have, but he did, and there we go, it's done now and can't be changed. That Devastator remained unchanged on the DVD suggests it was someone, somewhere's deliberate choice. Please no more circular arguments on it - it's exactly like "Which one's Frenzy and which one's Rumble?". The answer is "It depends".
Too late for that. It has been already for a long time. That is because you have the people who believe Michale Bay's version, that he "decided" at the last minute to use the place-holder (even though he knew the name that was supposed to be used a year in advance), or those who believe Robert Orci and Aaron Archer who state the name used in the subtitle is an error which never got fixed, which does happen in movies quite frequently I might add. The fact that the vast majority of tie-in material produced leading up to the release of the movie as well as currently in production, except for the UK comic, all use the name Brawl, not "Devastator" leads much more credance to Orci's and Archer's position in my eyes. Others believe that the subtitle not being corrected for the DVD lends credance to Bay. Ultimately though, it comes down to who you choose to believe: Robert Orci and Aaron Archer or Michael Bay.
I choose to believe Aaron Archer and Robert Orci. Cliffjumper and Dalek choose to accept Bay's statement. Take your pick.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

My favourite one is Jawbreaker, the Seacon.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Tramp
I choose to believe Aaron Archer and Robert Orci. Cliffjumper and Dalek choose to accept Bay's statement. Take your pick.
I'm absolutely, 100% sure that neither one of them said anything like that. In fact, neither of them mentioned Bay at all.

All they're saying is that the name that actually showed up in the movie is Devastator. Whether that's the character's 'proper' name or not totally irrelevant to the point they're making -- it's the name that got used in the movie. Because of that, right or wrong, it's official and just as 'correct' as Brawl in the context it appears in. The reason(s) why he has two names doesn't even enter into it.
inflatable dalek

Actually, as we've mentioned the spin off's can I just say that the Movie novel contains what may be the single stupidest sentence ever written in a book ever?

"The Capital of the United States is Washington D.C." No **** Sherlock. And we're not talking about the Junior novelisation here but a but that must be at least aimed at teenagers and older. He might have gotten away with it in the middle of a paragraph but as the scene setting way of opening a chapter? Burgh.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

At this point, the movie is out on DVD and they did not "fix" the Brawl/Devestator name. So, I call "bulls***" on Archer and Orci. If it truly were a "error" it would have been fixed. At this point, though, it doesn't even matter anymore if it was an error or intentional...it's in the movie. It's in the DVD. It's in the novel. All other extra-media material is...well...immaterial.

What pisses me off more than anything is both camps are being bull headed about this, and the only people who lose are the fans for the toys/movies who get bothered by the stupid ass continuity error. (that'd be me as well)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

As I've said elsewhere, what Bay or Archer or whatever says doesn't matter, not one jot. In the film, he's called Devastator. The only time he's referred to by name, it's Devastator. Right or wrong, the film character's called Devastator. In other stuff, he's called Brawl. It really is that simple, there's no right answer, and there's no "sides", just cold, hard facts. I reiterate, it's basically Rumble & Frenzy - there's no single all-encompassing 'correct answer'. In one it's one thing, in another it's a different thing. This is simple stuff that Transformers fans have (generally apart from a bunch of ATT people no-one really cares about anymore) been dealing with since basically the advent of fandom. It's not about "OMG, I BELIEVE BAY!" or "ARCHER IS RIGHT!!!!". We don't all just think whatever licence holders and Hasbro employees and so on tell us, some of us actually look at what's been made and draw our own conclusions based on, y'know, what we see.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I'd bring up Skyfire if the animation model weren't so radically different from the toy.

... wait, just did.

Or I can bring up the fact that the Ultimate version of Pete Wisdom being an amalgam of another character doesn't change the fact that the character in question was somebody completely different in the regular Marvelverse.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Halfshell
I'd bring up Skyfire if the animation model weren't so radically different from the toy.

Well, they used the same design for the comic's Jetfire so it's still good.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Well, to be fair, Classics Jetfire IS Skyfire with a Jetfire mask, so it makes up for it. And Yeah, I don't really see what the debate here is about, I mean, in the movie, he's called Devastator. The subtitle says Devastator, and on the DVD, which they could've fixed DID THEY WANT TO, he's still freakin' Devastator. In the toyline, etc, he's Brawl. So really, there IS no right answer, either way. It's just a case of "Well, it depends what you're talking about, since it's different in different areas."
"Right, switch to Red Alert."
"Are you sure, sir? It does mean changing the bulb!"
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

So, which Michael Bay should we believe? The one who said
So rest assured AKA Devastator, is really not Devastator.
?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.