New info about the live-action Transformers movie !

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
BOnes Mandalorian
Protoform

New info about the live-action Transformers movie !

Post by BOnes Mandalorian »

Hey you guys,... I've found these great articles about the new live-action Transformers movie over at AICN.

Tom DeSanto is talking about his plans for Transformers and claiming he's going to do for it what he did for X-Men.

Here ya go:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15972

these are older but still good:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15755

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15426

Phoenixotron_777
Phoenixotron 777
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

'Desanto is working on the story that will feature all of Generation One characters.'

:laugh:

I somehow fail to see this coming.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

well its good to see that its going through.. so thats a plus.. i can't wait to see it.. I sure hope the CGI isn;t bad... i'll be the first in line to see it.. and i hope it will be great... the question i have is.. who is going to do the voices??? they have to stay to the OG guys as much as possibe...
One shall stand, One shall fall...
BOnes Mandalorian
Protoform

Post by BOnes Mandalorian »

I really doubt we'll hear any of the old voices again,... But hey, since the transformers will have to be realistic looking (we won't be in cartoon land anynore), then we might as well see them as brand new characters with the same names as G1.

Besides, although they say this flick will have an 80ies feel, it'll probably take place today. This means new vehicles.

lol :laugh:
Phoenixotron 777
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

yeah i know... but it would be cool to have the OG voices.. you know for some of the characters that the voices that are gone.. they have take the voices from the cartoon and try to splice it into the movie.. it might sound strange but it could work... i just think it would be nice to have aleast Peter Cullen and Frank Welker cause there are some main voices right there.. and then we can get some of the others that are still alive and they could pull it off... as for the setting your probably right.. with the new vehicle modes... but they have to keep some people looking the same.. either way i'm still going to check it out...:D
One shall stand, One shall fall...
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by BOnes Mandalorian
Besides, although they say this flick will have an 80ies feel, it'll probably take place today. This means new vehicles.

They never said it would take place in '80s, they only say it will be based on the original series and will have the "feel" of movies from the '80s (whatever that means). This gives no indication as to the timeframe the movie will take place in. Also, why does a modern setting negate the possibility of the original alt-modes being used? I still see VW Beetles and Datsuns and such on the roads.

It is my impression from the quoted remarks that the producer wishes to recreate the original series in a live-action movie form as closely as it is possible to...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Does that mean he's going to keep the role call and plot holes? ;)

I'd love to see something similar to G1, but please, fix some of the problems
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Does that mean he's going to keep the role call and plot holes? ;)

I'd love to see something similar to G1, but please, fix some of the problems

Well, the quality of the original cartoon is subjective. He'll want to tell a story that he is assured will gain the studio the most amount of money. I'd think that would mean a story that will satisfy those of us that grew up on the original cartoon.

Personally I like the roll call. ;)

As for voice actors, the CGI is bound to be expensive and they'll want at least one actor to play a human that is reasonably famous. I'd like to see Cullen and Welker on the cast but aren't they expensive as far as voice actors go?
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Well, here's the thing, which human is more important? Do you get one really famous person to play either Spike or Sparkplug and no names to fill in the rest, or get midcarders (famous, but not massive) to play Spike, Sparkplug and say Carley (going to have to be a leading lady in there). Tough call.

Secondly - they can save on some CGI in that they can get real cars and trucks and guns and tape recorders to fill in when in alt mode. That will leave more money for actors (most car companies will give you a car, esp if it's a main character, as advertisment)

Here's my question (just thought it up)
If they keep Blaster, Soundwave, Megatron, Perceptor, Reflector ETC - are they going to explain subspace and how they change size, or just leave us in the dark on that one?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Well, here's the thing, which human is more important? Do you get one really famous person to play either Spike or Sparkplug and no names to fill in the rest, or get midcarders (famous, but not massive) to play Spike, Sparkplug and say Carley (going to have to be a leading lady in there). Tough call.

Secondly - they can save on some CGI in that they can get real cars and trucks and guns and tape recorders to fill in when in alt mode. That will leave more money for actors (most car companies will give you a car, esp if it's a main character, as advertisment)

Here's my question (just thought it up)
If they keep Blaster, Soundwave, Megatron, Perceptor, Reflector ETC - are they going to explain subspace and how they change size, or just leave us in the dark on that one?

I'm hoping for a story that requires as few human leads as possible, hopefully just Spike. They could do cameos of Sparkplug and Carly but I'd prefer that the script calls for humans to mainly scream in terror :D

It would be stupid for them not to use real cars as the alt-modes instead of CGI. I'd imagine that won't save them that much money though...

It's almost a given that they'll use Megatron and Soundwave as they are two very recognizable characters but my guess is there will be only a small cast of TFs as main characters.

I doubt that there will be any explanation of sub-space although it wouldn't be impossible to work into a the script. Spike is bound to ask lots of questions when getting acquainted with the Autobots...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Yeah - but is it in Cannon that there is subspace, or is that a fan thing

I agree that there should be as few humans as possible. I hope that they don't turn it into a story based on Spike, with the TF's in the back ground. Like that one episode where spike explains everything in his diary - that would be bad (god, apperently I'm writing like a 5 year old now)
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I don't see why size change when transforming should be explained. They always did it in cartoon and comic, sometimes shrinking or growing was of insane proportions, and the problem was never touched. It's just happening, leave it be.

As for humans, I'm scared a bit. In films like 'Godzilla' or 'Jurassic Park', there were always few human characters which the film was focused on. I'm almost sure they put 4-5 characters which get much screen time, not that much like in those films mentioned above, but let's say too much.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

A few months ago, DeSanto was quoted to that he never watched the cartoon and grew up with the comic instead, so it will be rather based on the comic than on the cartoon.

I only hope he hasn't read "Car Wash of Doom" too often... :angel:
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Nevermore
A few months ago, DeSanto was quoted to that he never watched the cartoon and grew up with the comic instead, so it will be rather based on the comic than on the cartoon.

Oh, but it was a few weeks ago.
from first link in initial post
DeSanto says that the film will be based on Generation One and set on Earth and that he's been rewatching all the cartoons and reading all the comics.
Armorwind
Protoform

Post by Armorwind »

I'd like to add my opinion on whether or not an explanation of sub-space should be used. I am in favor for one because it would give the audience something else to think about. It would show just how much more technology these robots from another planet have and could increase the impact of that. It would also provide movie-goers with something to discuss, such as the whole Matrix idea.

Although this may not be completely necessary to explain it, it may lose credibility for the movie in ideas such as these which could be considered as possible plot holes. I'm sure if there is not an explanation then people will go on and talk and criticize about how these giant robots could turn into things that are not even close to their original size. You won't need a huge, detailed, and specific explanation that would take several minutes and basically be a plot-stopper, but you need to fit it in with the transition of the movie and give a brief explanation of it.

Personally I like what Hound was talking about: the fact that Spike will be asking questions will allow this to be put in.
Life's too short to worry...

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?
Vector Sigma
Protoform

Post by Vector Sigma »

Hey, all!

Post #1!

Ever since I've heard about this movie, I've had this image stuck in my head of the first meeting between Spike and the Newly repaired Autobots (After the Decepticons left)...Of Spike stumbling into what he thinks is a cave, looking around in the murk with his flashlight, when the light falls on a pair of tall metal things...with the Volkswagen chrome logo on them and headlights. Heart racing like a triphammer, he slowly moves the light up...

Into the yellow, horned face of a large robot...

He screams and scrambles backward, dropping the light and tripping over something metal...something even BIGGER.

Computers in the room are starting to come fully on line, and, in the cast light, Spike is able to make out the towering angular form in red and blue above him, the glowing blue eyes seeming as high as Mount Everest... :eek:

And other pairs of glowing blue eyes flanking it... :eek: :eek:

And finally, the lights ease on...and the giant red robot slowly crouches with his hands up in a non-threatening gesture.

And begins to speak in a language Spike has never heard of... :sweatdrop

(Not totally thought out, buuut...:)

I'm looking forward to this movie...I just hope they take thier time and do it right...
"I AM VECTOR SIGMA...BEFORE
CYBERTRON WAS...I WAS! WHO
AWAKENS ME?!"
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Cool Mandalorian, thanks for posting the news.
Brentamus Prime
Protoform

Oh mad a new Transformers movie!!!!

Post by Brentamus Prime »

:laugh: :D OH MAD!!!!!! how cool that Tom DeSanto is plannig on making a new Transformers movie...i loved the first one andi rekon the second one would be awsome

IS it going to feautre the characters from generation 1?
Is it going to be cartoon?

Now I will be one with the MaTrIx!!!!
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I suggest reading whole thread, not just the title, you might get more information that way.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Bombshell, you gotta get this on the mainpage :)