Just came back from a social event...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Just came back from a social event...

Post by -Predaking- »

And I realize how lousy my social skills can be. Sure I talked to few people that I known in HS and church, as well as several really nice people. But those really pretty girls are just impossible to mingle with. I guess they have some chips on their shoulder. When I move closer they move away like I have plague or something. Or when I talked to them they don't reply with their name then just made excuse to move away. But all around me there are guys chatting away and having laughs with girls so I don't know how they do it (or why I can't do it). I was basically by myself most of the time and that really bites. Ok I am done venting. From now on I will simply stay home and leave the social events to people who really can make girls laugh. :o :glance: :rolleyes:
Lucifer
Protoform

Post by Lucifer »

I told you to always check the mirror before you go out to make sure you remembered to put your pants on! ;)

But seriously, was this a party? I can be awkward at parties, so i always make sure to arrive with a few drinks in me. Or to start drinking soon after i arrive. It sounds like the girls at this party were all a bunch of stiffs anyway, so no loss for you.
"'If you die,' you said, 'so do I,' you said, but it ends the day you understand, there is no forever, just this."
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Eh, I get bored at parties. Too many people. Lots of strangers, and most of my friends are talking to someone else. Of course, the last party I was at, I was a little down.
Roy Fokker

Post by Roy Fokker »

I always look for someone to relate to. If I can't find anyone I usually just start drinking. Maybe you should have a few beers to loosen up.

Lots of beer + Fokker = very nice guy :D
Lady Auros
Protoform

Post by Lady Auros »

i wouldn't worry about it - i agree that those girls sounded like jerks. it's amazing how b*tchy some girls can be and for no obvious reason. will anyone ever understand women?? :)
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

Originally posted by Roy Fokker
I always look for someone to relate to. If I can't find anyone I usually just start drinking. Maybe you should have a few beers to loosen up.

I don't drink but I did have a beer at the beginning. I guess I was too nervous being that I haven't been to a party like this for a very long time and all the guys seemed too polished talking to girls. Bah I don't want a girl who may be beautiful but acts like she's too good for me. I'll take a plain looking gril with heart of gold any day. ;)

Originally posted by Lady Auros
i wouldn't worry about it - i agree that those girls sounded like jerks. it's amazing how b*tchy some girls can be and for no obvious reason. will anyone ever understand women??
If even you say that then it must be true. :D
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Predaking, you give the impression that you went to this party on your own (sorry if I interpreted it wrong). If you try and go with a group of male friends next time, then you can let the smooth ones get talking to a group of girls, and the hardest part of getting the conversation going has already been done for you. But if a girl totally ignores you, it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, she's probably just a bitch. And it's not as if you're going to want someone like that interested in you anyway.

Or you could just get drunk, try it, it's great for your confidence, that's the main reason I do it. Gotta be careful though, there's only one shot of vodka separating being nicely-confident-in- yourself drunk, and losing-all-of-your-dignity-when-you-get-carried-away drunk.

He was in a boy band!
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

Originally posted by Sixshot

Or you could just get drunk, try it, it's great for your confidence, that's the main reason I do it. Gotta be careful though, there's only one shot of vodka separating being nicely-confident-in- yourself drunk, and losing-all-of-your-dignity-when-you-get-carried-away drunk.

You are right Sixy I did go there by myself. My friend who gave me the flyer to the event spent the evening with his gf and my brother didn't want to go so I was basically on my own. A lot of girls were in their own group talking and I didn't want to butt in rudely. What am I saying... I was actually pretty intimidated by the environment and having too many gorgeous chicks dismissing me with their eyes. Sigh.

Since I hardly ever drink alcoholic beverages I don't know my limit. One volka may be all I can handle. Maybe I should buy a bottle to see where my threshold lies.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

From my experiences with them, socials = ****, because I can guarantee you before I go to one, I wont find anyone Ill like there.
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Originally posted by Sixshot
Gotta be careful though, there's only one shot of vodka separating being nicely-confident-in- yourself drunk, and losing-all-of-your-dignity-when-you-get-carried-away drunk.

I'd just like to go on record saying "Vodka Rules" and I don't mean any of that pansy Vodka cruisers or lemon ruski stuff, I want it straight and I want it all. Woo Woo! *Drunken cheers are heard in the background*
"Among those fans there's at least one guy for whom you're a hero. He saved money to see you! That's what I did. I played for that guy." - Bruce Springsteen (1987)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

When I'm drunk, I love everybody.
Garand

Post by Garand »

Originally posted by Lady Auros
will anyone ever understand women?? :)
I once knew the female mind.. then they changed it..
Scout

Post by Scout »

King fella- everything I've seen of you says you're a terrific guy with good manners and a nice interactive personality- although maybe a bit shy- which is actually a cute quality. Ignore the girls that won't talk to you- Sixy's right on that. They aren't worth your time. You just need to get comfortable with introductions, and Sixy's group idea was a great one.

And Lady Auros is just as right that no one will ever understand females- including females themselves. (Was that all of 5 seconds Garand? ;)) This is the reason for cat spats.....

But in my experience anyway, drinking isn't the way to lay a charm on most girls.
I'll try and catch up to you in a PM sometime soon.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Hey King, your only mistake was to go on your own... Seriously, I've been to events like that on me own before too. Big, big mistake.

Even if you're the most confident person in the world, it'll still suck if you don't know anyone there at all, and for us quieter types (ie, most of us), it just sucks even more.

So yeah, next time, go with a friend or two (or five) and things'll be much better. I guaran-damn-tee it.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

If you're unable to even communicate with a girl, then it is because there is no chemistry between the two of you. Without communication, there can be no interaction made between you and her. Either you have the chemistry or you don't.

Find a girl that you are comfortable with. That's the most important thing. Find someone who you feel good to be with. Not someone who you want to be seen with. Not someone that you want to carry out various private fantasies with. Not someone who will not be interested in you for what ever reason. You need someone who you can make a connection with.

Of course... maybe you shouldn't be taking romantic advice from me? I don't have any degrees in this field.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Bah . . .

Sorry. I've just had this girl on my mind lately, and I haven't been able to think about a lot else. I'm sure that you'll realize that when you read my posts. It's been spread throughout the board in all topics that involve love.

Long story short. I have feelings for this wonderful girl, but she only wants to be friends. All other girls dim in comparison. On top of this, I'm just fed up with worrying about it, so I've decided to just not bother, and allocate my energies to other things. I just don't know anymore.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
Bah . . .

Sorry. I've just had this girl on my mind lately, and I haven't been able to think about a lot else. I'm sure that you'll realize that when you read my posts. It's been spread throughout the board in all topics that involve love.

Long story short. I have feelings for this wonderful girl, but she only wants to be friends. All other girls dim in comparison. On top of this, I'm just fed up with worrying about it, so I've decided to just not bother, and allocate my energies to other things. I just don't know anymore.

I know exactly what you mean... every time I met a girl I like it's a real struggle to let her know my feelings for her. I think girls these days like to play games too much.. they keep you hanging and if you come right out and confess your love they turn you away or ignore you completely. Girls can be cruel sometimes. Of course I don't consider myself to be a casablanca at all.. most of the time it just not meant to be.
Prowl?
Protoform

Post by Prowl? »

Don't fret 'King, at least you didn't screw your life up this weekend like I did!
If any of you gomers got hate-mail to send me, I'll be living behind the empress bar in a cardboard box by christmas.....
-----------------------
P R O W L ?
I support Todd Bertuzzi
start climbing that sh*t rope...
http://maddox.xmission.com/
Divebomb
Protoform

Post by Divebomb »

Originally posted by Garand
I once knew the female mind.. then they changed it..

You lie, you never knew the female mind. You know you shouldn't go around tellin lies like that.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Originally posted by Blitzwing
If you're unable to even communicate with a girl, then it is because there is no chemistry between the two of you. Without communication, there can be no interaction made between you and her. Either you have the chemistry or you don't.

Find a girl that you are comfortable with......

Interesting Blitzwing... Very sound advice- so true. Well said. The connections have to be there or you just don't get very far.